Potentially the longest thread in history...

erm apok.

180px-Indianaowns.gif

Why would you just stand there, and make yourself so conspicuous?
If you wanna knife, you need to learn how to be fast and stealthy...

Besides, it's not honourable to use a gun in a knife fight...

Swordvsgun.gif

It's not about honor it's about being the last bugger standing, Use an knife only as a last resort or if you have to bump some one off quietly, besides there just to messy.

Swordvsgun.gif

It's not about honor it's about being the last bugger standing, Use an knife only as a last resort or if you have to bump some one off quietly, besides there just to messy.
Well sure, if you're going to stand there swinging your knife around in front of them, making real sure they see you, they're going to shoot you (unless they are also using a knife, and not a gun).

You just learn to use cover, to be silent, and visually hard to detect.

Guns have replaced this archaic simpleton weapon for a good many reasons:

• Myth: Swords are more honorable than guns, case-in-point, Ninjas, Samurai, and Jedi used swords instead of guns.
    • FACT: Anyone claiming the above is obviously a cultureless, ****ing Wapanese and needs to commit Hari kiri, die of AIDS or become an hero. Ninjas were fags anyway, and the Samurai DID use them before the superior gun wiped them out. Jedi are ****ing imaginary wizards anyway.
  • Myth: You can block bullets with your sword if you are skilled enough.
    • FACT: You cannot block bullets with your sword. If you are skilled enough to do so, go out and prove it.
  • Myth: You don't have to reload a sword, therefore you can use it forever.
    • FACT: You must constantly wipe your sword clean of blood and sharpen it, otherwise it will chip and rust away, and then you will have to find your local smithey to forge you a new one. Or you can save up your lunch money and buy another sword off eBay instead of buying that new manga you've been fapping over.
  • Myth: Guns are cowardly because you can kill people from far away; swords are the only weapons that take real skill to use.
    • FACT: Hacking and slicing away takes too much effort, when you can just sit back, relax and start obliterating Wapanese hordes with your M249 SAW. More importantly, using a gun IRL takes more skill than any Wapanese could ever possess.
  • Myth: You can run up to a guy with a gun real fast and slice him with your sword before he even gets his gun out.
    • FACT: You can try to run up to a guy with a gun real fast and slice him before he even gets his gun out, but unfortunately that broadsword you bought from eBay weighs fifty pounds and your effete wrists just aren't meant to handle such a burden.
  • Myth: But swords have the element of surprise!
    • FACT: Sure, as dose a .45ACP coming out the back of your skull.
Chances are, anyone who tries to insist that swords are better than guns is probably Wapanese and has had their brain destroyed by anime. If so, it's legally (and morally) required to challenge them to a gun vs sword duel at at least 100 paces. Three seconds and one smoking shell casing later the world will be a slightly better place.

Myth: Swords are more honorable than guns, case-in-point, Ninjas, Samurai, and Jedi used swords instead of guns.
I'm not sure you understood my point.
I meant it's not honourable to use a gun in a knife fight
I'm not saying guns vs guns isn't honourable (although it usually isn't, but for different reasons)

Also, big wide open fields, is a totally different scenario to having lots of cover, and/or corners
FACT: You must constantly wipe your sword clean of blood and sharpen it, otherwise it will chip and rust away, and then you will have to find your local smithey to forge you a new one. Or you can save up your lunch money and buy another sword off eBay instead of buying that new manga you've been fapping over.
you also have to clean gun barrels.

FACT: You can try to run up to a guy with a gun real fast and slice him before he even gets his gun out, but unfortunately that broadsword you bought from eBay weighs fifty pounds and your effete wrists just aren't meant to handle such a burden.
Knives don't have to weigh fifty pounds. You could use a knife that weighs 2 pounds, or something.
Guns can be real heavy, too.
FACT: Sure, element of surprise, until you hear the sneaky Samurai dragging a heavy *** chunk of metal around behind you, giving you plenty of time to aim, **** your hammer and shoot him.
Like I said, you can just use a much lighter knife.
And there is a lot of skill to be had in being stealthy.

*edit*
I also think people are getting the wrong impression. I'm not trying to say knives are better than guns.
Guns usually do win against knives. But that's actually why I said "never bring a gun to a knife fight"

I think you missed my point thou it's not a matter of honor it's a mater of being able to walk away an having the ability to walk away.

I'm jumping in here a tad late in the game so I will throw out my .02 if it's all right with you guys.

Throughout history man has constantly improved his weapons to find a more efficient way of killing his neighbor. For the longest time the sword was IT. It existed in many different forms but it was the mainstay weapon of most ancient armies. The gun changed that. The sword along with many other tools of war, bows, crossbows, plate armor were all of a sudden obsolete and useless. Why spend months making one sword or bow and years of training the man when you can quickly make a gun and teach him in a few weeks? The gun really made the distinction between a warrior and a soldier.

The gun sword and gun argument from a warfare perspective is like arguing if a Pentium 2 can out perform an Athlon 64, we all know the answer. Anyone who thinks a sword is a viable weapon in modern combat is ignorant. However the sword has other merits.

remember when I said the gun made you from a warrior to a soldier? From a man who spent hiss whole life training with his weapon and learning how to use it as an extension to one in the faceless ranks handed a rifle. Sure the Romans capitalized on that idea a little earlier than others but there is a huge difference between knights/samurai and dough boys. There is a great deal of romance and historical significance to swords in many cultures. In Japan where practically every weapon imaginable is banned you can buy Katana, because they are considered art. Truth be told many modern sword owners, swordsmen, and swordsmiths treat them as art.

Guns better than swords? In a combat sense yes. But there is a lot more to it than that. generally speaking a gun is a mass produced tool of war, the sword (the real ones at least not the $100 crap wall hangers) are something a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom