Potentially the longest thread in history...

Hmm. I have Rift and use Steam VR games. They should be fine. If you have Oculus Home running, just open Steam like usual (not SteamVR mode), then double click on the VR game in your Steam Library. You should find it launches through Oculus Home using the Oculus SDK and API - so you should get Async Timewarp and such just fine.

I have however found SteamVR interface and SteamVR Home are pretty damn bad, serious tracking problems and such. I just don't use it at all.

Oh yea maybe I'm doing it wrong then... I'm actually using Steam Home to launch the games so maybe thats it. I'm gonna try it tonight before I install the new sensor that way I hopefully rule out the issue then the new sensor and additional extensions will just be an upgrade rather than a remediation

Oh yea maybe I'm doing it wrong then... I'm actually using Steam Home to launch the games so maybe thats it. I'm gonna try it tonight before I install the new sensor that way I hopefully rule out the issue then the new sensor and additional extensions will just be an upgrade rather than a remediation

Yeah. Assuming you are trying games in Steam that list official Oculus Rift support too ?

Yeah. Assuming you are trying games in Steam that list official Oculus Rift support too ?

Yea all of them had Rift support. I think you're onto something. Prob Steam Home. I remember reading a guide that said to not use Oculus software at all while using Steam. Maybe that guide lead me into the wrong direction.

Most people on this forum come from a technological background but do you folks get excited like me with your tech.

I've got this router coming from the USA Via. USPS and I've been doing some online reading as too the features and software available with in the router and my head has just exploded.

The options and availability for expansion is unreal. Its kinda like it just shoots off in too all directions and with my sub to the like of VPNs and such its a cause for much excite.

I was thinking of jumping distros as well as I've pretty much out grown Mint and looking for something with an edge and more in depth.

Much excite people.

Most people on this forum come from a technological background but do you folks get excited like me with your tech.

I've got this router coming from the USA Via. USPS and I've been doing some online reading as too the features and software available with in the router and my head has just exploded.

The options and availability for expansion is unreal. Its kinda like it just shoots off in too all directions and with my sub to the like of VPNs and such its a cause for much excite.

I was thinking of jumping distros as well as I've pretty much out grown Mint and looking for something with an edge and more in depth.

Much excite people.
I don't anymore, least not with most stuff.

The problem being just because you have access to their knowledge doesn't mean you'd understand it. If I could tap somebody's brain to instantly understand what they knew it'd be a different story but he only said neuro communication for collective thought. I already hate communicating with other human beings, I'd rather not want instant access to a pool of idiocy. We already have that in the form of the internet.

The idea of neural interfaces is not that they will instantly make you able to understand stuff normally reserved for high IQ. It's that they bring the benefits of a computer to the brain. Current estimates (depends who you ask) say the brain runs at about 200Hz, and as we all know relative to a computer has very slow memory speeds and very poor recall. It's like a broken 1MB floppy disk that get's corrupted everyday. So you will go from 200Hz and a 1MB floppy disk to a typical 4Ghz processor and terabyte flash drive.

So, they will improve your memory to a computer level. You will get perfect memory, and it will take you fractions of a second to perfectly recall events and audio and text that you witnessed years ago. You'll be able to do math in your head instantly, and that kind of thing. Pretty much everyone working in the area knows it is possible, it's just very difficult. But it's really a matter of when we get there, not if. So if the guy sitting next to you has perfect memory, perfect instant math skills, no need for a mouse or keyboard because he can just type as fast as he can think - if you don't have that you will fall way way behind - he can probably accomplish in a day what you can in a month. If you're a game developer, you can just think of a game style or level in your head and "share" it with the game developers around you, no ambiguity, everyone can instantly see exactly what you are thinking. No need to draw up a sketch as best as you can reproduce and email to people for them to interpret.

Last edited:
Now a days - yes.
It used to be- not so long ago= Well I lean this way on this issue, and that way on another issue, etc.

NOW it is I am a - conservative/republican/right winger or I am a liberal/Democrat/Left winger - and that is it. NO room for individualism, no room for disagreement with respect, it just builds hate, and intolerance. It is sad... I think it was better before - it allowed for compromising with others. So guess your right, I am living in the past politically as I don't fit into the right or left "groups" as they are defined by the current media and popularism labels. I consider myself a conservative - not a republican.

We're likely polar opposites in a lot of ways on specific issues, but I think we'd get on very well as people just because of agreeing on this.

The idea of neural interfaces is not that they will instantly make you able to understand stuff normally reserved for high IQ. It's that they bring the benefits of a computer to the brain. Current estimates (depends who you ask) say the brain runs at about 200Hz, and as we all know relative to a computer has very slow memory speeds and very poor recall. It's like a broken 1MB floppy disk that get's corrupted everyday. So you will go from 200Hz and a 1MB floppy disk to a typical 4Ghz processor and terabyte flash drive.

So, they will improve your memory to a computer level. You will get perfect memory, and it will take you fractions of a second to perfectly recall events and audio and text that you witnessed years ago. You'll be able to do math in your head instantly, and that kind of thing. Pretty much everyone working in the area knows it is possible, it's just very difficult. But it's really a matter of when we get there, not if. So if the guy sitting next to you has perfect memory, perfect instant math skills, no need for a mouse or keyboard because he can just type as fast as he can think - if you don't have that you will fall way way behind - he can probably accomplish in a day what you can in a month. If you're a game developer, you can just think of a game style or level in your head and "share" it with the game developers around you, no ambiguity, everyone can instantly see exactly what you are thinking. No need to draw up a sketch as best as you can reproduce and email to people for them to interpret.
Sure, but you're still sidestepping what I said. You still need to be able to interpret what you're calling up otherwise it's useless. If I can remember the Calculus I saw in a book 10 years ago or the Trig the guy next to me studies it doesn't necessarily mean I'll know what to do with it. Just like if I could connect to the vast knowledge of car mechanical skills my friend has doesn't mean I'll have any idea what to do with say cam specifics and whatnot. That's why I said, if I could tap into something else to instantly understand what I'm calling up it'd be a different story.

Edit: Something else to think about, the stuff you're explaining can also be compared to a computer. Sure you can make the stuff quicker but that only makes it process things quicker. You still have to give input, and to me that'd be your understanding and usage of the knowledge and speed at which you can understand/interpret things. He specifically said collective thought though, and to me I'd just rather not know what everybody else is thinking. I suppose you could say the question is too vague. If the neural interface allows Borg like collective thought it'd be a hard pass, but if it allowed instant understanding, perfect memory, controlled intercommunication etc that'd be a different story for me.

Last edited:
Sure, but you're still sidestepping what I said. You still need to be able to interpret what you're calling up otherwise it's useless. If I can remember the Calculus I saw in a book 10 years ago or the Trig the guy next to me studies it doesn't necessarily mean I'll know what to do with it. Just like if I could connect to the vast knowledge of car mechanical skills my friend has doesn't mean I'll have any idea what to do with say cam specifics and whatnot. That's why I said, if I could tap into something else to instantly understand what I'm calling up it'd be a different story.

Edit: Something else to think about, the stuff you're explaining can also be compared to a computer. Sure you can make the stuff quicker but that only makes it process things quicker. You still have to give input, and to me that'd be your understanding and usage of the knowledge and speed at which you can understand/interpret things. He specifically said collective thought though, and to me I'd just rather not know what everybody else is thinking. I suppose you could say the question is too vague. If the neural interface allows Borg like collective thought it'd be a hard pass, but if it allowed instant understanding, perfect memory, controlled intercommunication etc that'd be a different story for me.

Yeah fair enough. It will be interesting to see how the tech goes. I say it won't help you understand stuff... but maybe it can :\ when you "understand" stuff it is still just neurons linking up and firing in your brain, just like when you see, hear and remember. I don't see why we would be able to read/write to parts of our brain that manage memory, and not to the parts that possess understanding. Maybe there will be a way to take Terence Tao's mathematical understanding and give it to everyone else. If that's possible, there are two big things...

1) If everyone is the same level of ultra intelligent, we're all equal, and we're all abundant :\ are we now all individually worthless ? it would be like putting "I can do 1+1" on your resumé. So can everyone.

2) It's gonna cause all manner of havoc

It's 50*F today (and this weekend) and supposed to get to 30*F with a chance of snow on Monday; took the bike out for a short ride this afternoon since I took off from work anyway.

Back
Top Bottom