Potentially the longest thread in history...

People on reddit **** on me all the time because they don't understand how I can sit here and understand everything about the big privacy movement at the moment, and still not care. I can't help it I just don't care. Yes I should care, yes it's my right, yes it's part of my freedoms, all that jazz. I get it.

But at the end of the day my life is far more convenient when tech companies have all my private data, and I love convenience. Quite happy for them to know everything about me if it makes my life better.

This is a very unpopular opinion on the internet, but like PP said above, 99% of people outside of the internet have no idea and give zero ****s.

Exactly, and like I said I know and just don't care. I have my security setup a certain way with a bit of firewall convenience for my own sanity and basically if somebody wants something THAT bad they will break through any security if they're skilled enough. It's why I just don't care. Just like **** like Windows and the paranoia around 10. I scanned for quite a while with pfsense and 10 was not sending obscure data back to homebase. After 6 months I stopped caring about that too and only disable the things I can quickly get rid of with a couple reg entries. We had the big security patch argument here a while back too, and I'm like 90% of the **** that's released OS wise has already been exploited so if I was to get hit it would be BEFORE Microshaft released a fix. The 0.5% out of the 1% left of those out there aware don't even realize that Google and a few other big names release zero day exploits and a bunch of other **** M$ leaves open the instant they're found. It takes M$ a minimum of 6 months to fix that issue. 9 times out of 10 Windows updates will actually straight up BREAK something you use every day in an attempt to fix an old problem that wasn't a problem anyways (because if you were going to get screwed you would have before M$ patched it). "Your browser is insecure" "Your OS is insecure"....Yea? I ran Windows 98se with a very outdated version of Firefox for the 2 months one time in an attempt to get "****ed" like people say I will with a much more modern OS and browser. Spoiler alert, I had 0 issues besides dealing with CPU bottleneck.

I used to be one of the paranoid type, and now all I care about is hiding my activity from my ISP to keep them from sending me letters. That's all I care about.

A) Not everybody is paranoid
B) Ease of use + brand marketing
C) Gaming.

I think I picked you up wrong on this comment in Bold.

Did you mean to say; Not everyone is paranoid or Its you that is paranoid Spud1200 .. I'm not sure if I got that rite.

Laugh all you want, it's the truth. 99% of people out there simply flat don't care or are completely ignorant to what's going on.

What I meant by ignorant when I agreed with you was their are a lot of people I personally know who use FB, Google, Tinder; that sort of site and those services who dont realize they are being monitored and watched with their personal information. Its not so much that they are ignorant but unaware.

@Spud, for as paranoid as you are, you have a nice, lengthy, easily searchable post history here on the forums. Quitea bit of personal information as well.

Pictures, locations, general mannerisms... etc etc....

Just sayin' :tongue:

Being honest again like I said; I'm pretty open about a lot of stuff and dont really have anything to hide. I'm not say a particularly criminal minded person for example but what pisses me off is when it comes to the personal harvesting of DATA its all about power and greed and money with these company's . I dont want to be targeted.

People on reddit **** on me all the time because they don't understand how I can sit here and understand everything about the big privacy movement at the moment, and still not care. I can't help it I just don't care. Yes I should care, yes it's my right, yes it's part of my freedoms, all that jazz. I get it.

But at the end of the day my life is far more convenient when tech companies have all my private data, and I love convenience. Quite happy for them to know everything about me if it makes my life better.

This is a very unpopular opinion on the internet, but like PP said above, 99% of people outside of the internet have no idea and give zero ****s.

I enjoy convenience too but not at the expense of them making money out of me.

Last edited:
I think I picked you up wrong on this comment in Bold.

Did you mean to say; Not everyone is paranoid or Its you that is paranoid Spud1200 .. I'm not sure if I got that rite.
It was in direct response with reasoning as to why people do what they do. They're not paranoid and don't care or are too ignorant to know what's going on anyways.

What I meant by ignorant when I agreed with you was their are a lot of people I personally know who use FB, Google, Tinder; that sort of site and those services who dont realize they are being monitored and watched with their personal information. Its not so much that they are ignorant but unaware.
Everybody is being watched despite whatever amatuer measures you're taking to protect privacy. You put anything on the net, you're being watched. Those people on those services you mentioned aren't being watched in the way you expect, the only thing that's happening is their data is being sold to 3rd parties for ads. That's about it. Hell just posting here you're doing the exact same thing without even realizing it. I'd be willing to bet the host for these boards are using a caching service to speed things up. That's not something a proxy or VPN can bypass. The caching service can then take any of that raw data and sell it to 3rd parties. It's why I don't care anymore. The more you dig into how the overall web and scheme of things works you start to realize there's way too much outside of your control. I believe we had the conversation about your ISP already, you can use 3rd party services all you want, ALL info still goes through your ISP. Packets broken down being monitored. Nothing you can do about it. The only way you can stop this is by just staying off the net.

My head the last few days.....

applyforanothermastersprogram

Starting my masters may be the end of my time at SpaceX, but... masters degree! :tongue:

My head the last few days.....

Starting my masters may be the end of my time at SpaceX, but... masters degree! :tongue:

Unless you're career is being significantly limited because you don't have a masters, you're crazy.

It'll be a Masters > PhD track for "big data" research. AI, machine learning, etc. Not my current track at SpaceX :tongue:

My grandad bought a new mouse and txt me this:

"I bought a new wireless mouse. I cannot use it because I am unable to use my existing password. My new mouse does not allow it. Can you disable my password for me".

so
many
questions

This **** pisses me off to be honest. I know it's my family but it still pisses me off, people just expect you to get home from work, drop everything and just go and fix their damn PCs at the drop of a hat.

Back
Top Bottom