Potentially the longest thread in history... - Page 5445 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 AM   #54441 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Potentially the longest thread in history...

Quote:
My daily average is close to the same each day, each week.
Urrrgh, this is why I didn't bother replying at first I knew this was coming.

I don't think we disagree at all about whether you can blindly pick a number and stick to it and expect to be "healthy" as a result. And I don't recall ever saying that either
You DO have to adjust based on your own life and body, which is why I said getting a personalized diet would be the best idea if you had the time/money/inclination. Totally agree with you.

The reason behind WHY you need that particular input will always boil down to the simple fact that you have a biological body that runs off chemical input; whatever your body type may be, that input can be calculated based off measuring how much you burn; the calculations made will use calorie intake.

As far as the intake goes, you can wing it and adjust based solely on the change you see. There's nothing wrong with that.
You can also pick a calorie intake number and adjust based on the change you see off that. Nothing wrong with that either, and you get an easy number to work with as a bonus.

And no I didn't miss the Ghz comparison, I just didn't comment on it because I didn't think it was a very good analogy a 1Ghz Atom is orders of magnitude less powerful than a 1Ghz Xeon. It's not even remotely in the same ballpark, and suggests that calorie intake could vary from 100 to 100,000 depending on your body type. The spread in reality is MUCH closer than that. At the *extreme* ends, we've got mb 1200 calories vs 11,000. 99% of the population will fall between 1800-3000. Pointing at how extremes don't fit in that range is just cherry picking.

If I had to pick a comparison I'd maybe say MPG ratings - cars with V6 engines burn through more fuel than a 1.3L 4 cylinder. At the end of the day we can make a useful generalization and say "hey, if you've got a car with X cylinders and X capacity, you'll probably average around X mpg, so I'd estimate you should buy this much fuel per day. Adjust as needed".

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 AM   #54442 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Just to throw a curveball, they (Harvard) did a study on the calories claimed to be in a number of common food items, and then had them accurately tested. The food labels were often out by a massive amount in some cases.

Whenever I diet I limit myself to about 1500 cals a day. I count every calorie. I always lose 4 to 8lbs a week, works for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png chrome_2017-09-25_09-00-02.png (21.5 KB, 2 views)

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Corsair 450w PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #54443 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
You'll gain confidence pretty quickly so I doubt you'll stick purely to riding around the city or town for long does your state allow filtering ? it's really fun if they do. Feels great to ride straight past a mile of cars in traffic
Oh I'm sure I'll gain confidence quickly, but we'll see. There's only a pretty short window when I can actually ride for the most part.

And no, SD doesn't allow filtering.

Quote:
I say go check out the 600cc FZ6 if it's only $2k. Old Jap bikes tend to be really reliable, so it's a pretty good idea. It is quite powerful for a first bike, but at least this way you won't outgrow it in 6 months.
Yeah that's kinda why I'm leaning that way, so I don't have to go around and get a new bike next riding season if/when I realize I'm "bored" with this one now.

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ________________________

In other news i'm pretty sure i'm going to get sacked or made redundant soon. I am having serious motivational problems in terms of actually doing work. I just can't. I have lost all drive and willpower. Not sure why. Just everything about being at work, even when I am making coffee I do it in the slowest, weakest most pathetic way possible. Then I get to my PC, go to edit or update some of my JS code, and i'll literally type a couple of words and then just stop typing and sit their blank. Pretty sure my boss knows too, because it's taking me days to do things that should take an hour or two.
That's how I've been for the past month with everything going on...but IMO a good manager/boss will notice you've changed, and take you aside and talk to you about stuff & understand what's going on. That's how it was with my boss - I work with a lot of different people everyday, and I was at the point where I was giving really short direct answers to their questions in a "gtfo of here" tone of voice. Manager / people on my team noticed I wasn't my usual self and they wanted to know what was going on. That said, I have a pretty good relationship with most of my team members, so I was open to letting them know what was going on with me.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #54444 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Urrrgh, this is why I didn't bother replying at first I knew this was coming.

I don't think we disagree at all about whether you can blindly pick a number and stick to it and expect to be "healthy" as a result. And I don't recall ever saying that either
You DO have to adjust based on your own life and body, which is why I said getting a personalized diet would be the best idea if you had the time/money/inclination. Totally agree with you.

The reason behind WHY you need that particular input will always boil down to the simple fact that you have a biological body that runs off chemical input; whatever your body type may be, that input can be calculated based off measuring how much you burn; the calculations made will use calorie intake. Missing the fact that some foods like certain alcohols are retained in your body for a longer period of time, and the fact that a lot of people eat before bed which gives the opportunity to retain calorie intake rather than gradually burn off through the day naturally. It further strengthens my point. Energy consumed and not wasted is turned into fat making any calorie watching moot, making it just a number. Snacking before bed is hugely linked to obesity and why I don't gain, I almost never eat before bed. My GF gains weight super fast because she does this so much and I've watched the cycle several times in other friends.

As far as the intake goes, you can wing it and adjust based solely on the change you see. There's nothing wrong with that.
You can also pick a calorie intake number and adjust based on the change you see off that. Nothing wrong with that either, and you get an easy number to work with as a bonus.

And no I didn't miss the Ghz comparison, I just didn't comment on it because I didn't think it was a very good analogy a 1Ghz Atom is orders of magnitude less powerful than a 1Ghz Xeon. It's not even remotely in the same ballpark, and suggests that calorie intake could vary from 100 to 100,000 depending on your body type. The spread in reality is MUCH closer than that. At the *extreme* ends, we've got mb 1200 calories vs 11,000. 99% of the population will fall between 1800-3000. Pointing at how extremes don't fit in that range is just cherry picking.

If I had to pick a comparison I'd maybe say MPG ratings - cars with V6 engines burn through more fuel than a 1.3L 4 cylinder. At the end of the day we can make a useful generalization and say "hey, if you've got a car with X cylinders and X capacity, you'll probably average around X mpg, so I'd estimate you should buy this much fuel per day. Adjust as needed".
You say that's why you didn't reply, you don't understand that I eat and drink practically the same stuff every week almost in an orderly fashion. My gf and I only know how to cook a few things so we don't really change it up much and I work on the weekends so I eat the same foods each day, go to the gas station before work and buy the same things, etc. Before I moved into my new house I literally had Taco Casa (2 super burritos, one bean burrito mild, large sweet tea) every single Sunday for 2.5 years. Once I get into a daily groove it's hard for me to change it, that includes food.

Quote:
Just to throw a curveball, they (Harvard) did a study on the calories claimed to be in a number of common food items, and then had them accurately tested. The food labels were often out by a massive amount in some cases.

Whenever I diet I limit myself to about 1500 cals a day. I count every calorie. I always lose 4 to 8lbs a week, works for me.
This above is all I need to say.

@Soul - The comparison to processors is spot on, you didn't get the comparison right. You're missing the fact that I'm saying people stick to the number religiously because they don't understand what we are saying much like people basing processors based off core count and speed. They don't understand the difference in speed, much like most wanting to lose weight don't understand that you need to adjust the number based on your body type and diet. I'm taking the psychological approach of your typical person who knows nothing of what we speak of (which face it is practically everybody) in the fact that "based on an average of a 2500 calorie diet" is written everywhere will be burned in. They will stick to this number and get discouraged because they can't figure out where they went wrong, THEN add what Kman just said. The fact that most calorie figures are what I like to say usually made up on the spot or "guesstimated" (because who really is going to get official on it) make it all a crock of **** really. So you got people going into the PC world blindly with no education on the matter they will see an FX 8350 at 4.0GHz with 8 cores for 100 bucks vs say an i5 7600k for over 200 and be like oh that FX must be so much better! Person going blindly into health, might bring up Google and see "average of 2500 daily" and be like ok I need to start counting my intake and watch what I eat. Much like that person buying the FX the calorie watcher is in for a grave disappointment. In the end both of those numbers are there for a reason and are factual for a specific reason BUT to the individual it's just a number. They don't understand why it's there. It's why I detest the calorie figure much like why I practically ignore GHz in terms of speed unless we're comparing apples to apples (same architecture, node, family, etc).

Bleh so tired of that conversation already onto mo betta topic! My Nvidia Shield came in yesterday and I have to say I am really ****ing happy with this piece of gear. I basically only bought it because I was so sick and tired of depending on consoles or the TV for Plex streaming. The Shield absolutely blows everything out of the water. It's so damn fast and responsive, almost like emulating Android on my PC at the TV. Very well worth the cost in my application because when it comes to electronics I'm a very impatient person and I absolutely HATE buffering in a movie.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #54445 (permalink)
Build Guru

Double post, my new reciever just came in AND my new humidifier. Much excite.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #54446 (permalink)

Taco Casa... only eaten there once. Wasn't a fan

I bought my shield almost two years ago. I love it. Use it for Plex like every day
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #54447 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFargle View Post
Taco Casa... only eaten there once. Wasn't a fan

I bought my shield almost two years ago. I love it. Use it for Plex like every day
Every location is different. I've only liked 2 out of the many I've been to.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #54448 (permalink)
AR ML AI <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Bleh so tired of that conversation already onto mo betta topic! My Nvidia Shield came in yesterday and I have to say I am really ****ing happy with this piece of gear. I basically only bought it because I was so sick and tired of depending on consoles or the TV for Plex streaming. The Shield absolutely blows everything out of the water. It's so damn fast and responsive, almost like emulating Android on my PC at the TV. Very well worth the cost in my application because when it comes to electronics I'm a very impatient person and I absolutely HATE buffering in a movie.
Yeah the Shield is an amazing bit of kit. It is seriously under appreciated. It's been out for a year or two now, and it still decimates every new smart TV box to come to market. The speed on that thing is creepy fast. In many ways it is more responsive than a high end PC. Nvidia worked some serious magic. You click on Netflix and it starts playing in milliseconds, at the highest quality. It's just immense.

In completely unrelated news, I think I might start dumping a lot of money into buying Bitcoin.

AMD Ryzen 1300X
16GB DDR4
Nvidia GTX1060
WD Blue 250GB SSD
Asus AMD PRIME B350M-A Mobo
Corsair 450w PSU
Fractal Design Core 1100 mATX Case

I can't wait for the day where my house robot with artificial general intelligence can be spoken too like a pathetic slave. "GO MAKE ME A DAMN MEAL, YOU POS!".
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #54449 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Got today off to do the final inspection for the new house, gonna be interesting meeting the realestate agents face to face after all this kerfuffle and yelling lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
You say that's why you didn't reply
To be crystal, I knew you'd just come back saying no you're 100% right and everything you said is exactly how things be, because that's what you do for *literally* every single discussion you have on these boards. I'm not gonna bother reading that reply tbh, I ****in give up

Quote:
In completely unrelated news, I think I might start dumping a lot of money into buying Bitcoin.
I'm still stuck on the fence. With China cracking down big time and JP Morgan speaking out against it, it's suffering from a lot of nervous investors. The price has been at AUD $6000, $4200, and $4900 over the last 3 weeks alone. I guess long-term you'd struggle to lose jumping in at any of those points, but still wouldn't make it any nicer right now had you invested when it was 6k+
Also got a lot of reading to do around bitcoin security
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #54450 (permalink)
The strange one

Do you guys believe in aliens? **segway**

Are UFOs a folly of deception or a blessing of perception?

iParanormalx is online now   Reply With Quote