Potentially the longest thread in history...

I know, but we're talking about Christian marriage. Oz and UK are predominantly Christian countries, and it's Christian churches that are opposing gay marriage. So in this context, yes.

Officially maybe, but even that is fast changing. In the last census "no religion" was the largest single group - tbh I think it's basic issues like this that are driving people to distance themselves from religious organizations that previously were associated with "being good" etc.

The way I see it is that you choose how to be married, by either a religious ceremony or a secular one. No one is forced to use one or the other. But it gets rather mucked up when someone demands to go the religious route when they are outside of the tenants of said religion, like a gay couple deciding to be married under Islam for example.

I am fine with whoever marrying whoever but I balk when anyone tries to force others to bend to their demands. No one should be forced to take part if they have a problem with it, be it religious or personal. For example, a church can choose who can or cannot be married there, a minister can choose whether or not they will perform a wedding ceremony, etc.

I'd have the same thought as kman - at some point, there are things we decide that we will not tolerate as a society. A priest might personally take issue with interracial marriage, but they can't refuse to marry a black person to a white person. As non-racists it's easy for us to agree on that one.

I guess I do feel for you in that it must be frustrating to have your internal moral compass be forcefully "overruled" so to speak. Whether it's your religion or just a gut feeling driving you, people should do what they feel is right. You're a standup guy and I know I've gotten a lot of good advice from you over the years that I'm very grateful for.
The only addendum I'd add is that I hope people constantly challenge themselves to test their ideals with the aim to discredit them. Put yourself in the others shoes and ask the uncomfortable questions. Ideals based on solid foundations will survive.

so
who's gonna get in on bitcoin now that it's gone down

If I had any money spare :p seems like a good time to jump on board. Then again, might be worth waiting for the chinese municipalities to rule on the issue - if they enforce it too, I'd think another drop is coming.

Haven't seen any of it.

As a former Rick & Morty hater (despite having not seen anything beyond 1 minute clips here and there), get on it dawg. It's actually damn good, and that's coming from someone who hates over-the-top cartoon shows like Adventure Time.

Officially maybe, but even that is fast changing. In the last census "no religion" was the largest single group - tbh I think it's basic issues like this that are driving people to distance themselves from religious organizations that previously were associated with "being good" etc.

I'd have the same thought as kman - at some point, there are things we decide that we will not tolerate as a society. A priest might personally take issue with interracial marriage, but they can't refuse to marry a black person to a white person. As non-racists it's easy for us to agree on that one.

I guess I do feel for you in that it must be frustrating to have your internal moral compass be forcefully "overruled" so to speak. Whether it's your religion or just a gut feeling driving you, people should do what they feel is right. You're a standup guy and I know I've gotten a lot of good advice from you over the years that I'm very grateful for.
The only addendum I'd add is that I hope people constantly challenge themselves to test their ideals with the aim to discredit them. Put yourself in the others shoes and ask the uncomfortable questions. Ideals based on solid foundations will survive.

If I had any money spare :p seems like a good time to jump on board. Then again, might be worth waiting for the chinese municipalities to rule on the issue - if they enforce it too, I'd think another drop is coming.

As a former Rick & Morty hater (despite having not seen anything beyond 1 minute clips here and there), get on it dawg. It's actually damn good, and that's coming from someone who hates over-the-top cartoon shows like Adventure Time.
I have all the episodes just 5 years worth of TV/movie backlog is taking me longer to complete than I thought. I haven't started anything new until I' done with the old. It helps with getting full seasons too.

Yeah I feel that :p Darksiders, Lethal Weapon, The Last Ship, Mr Robot, Into The Badlands, GoT seasons 5-6, urgh. Never gonna have time unless I hit millionaire status

Really don't know how I feel about Rick and Morty. Watched the previous seasons but only the first two of the latest season.

My complaint is that to me it feels really inconsistent. Some episodes I find great and totally hilarious, and then two or three episodes in a row I get bored and can't even pay attention to it for it's short 20 minute time span 'cus the story for that episode is just **** (imo). Then 'cus I was bored I have no feeling of wanting to watch another episode.

My favorite series of all time is maybe Dexter in regards to being continuously interesting. Sure some episodes were better than others, but I personally probably only found 3 or 4 episodes in the entire 7 seasons actually flat out boring. I loved how there was this long, overarching story line - but then every couple of episodes was basically an entirely new mini story line. Plus, I just loved the subject of their being this good guy serial killer lol.

Back
Top Bottom