Potentially the longest thread in history...

Antagonizing is a form of calling a bluff. If a dude says he's gonna kick your *** you take your shirt off and say come at me bro which is calling their bluff.

More accurately, if a dude says he's gonna kick your *** *unless you give him your wallet* and you take your shirt off and say come at me bro *but still give him your wallet first* then no it's kinda not calling any bluffs :p you already handed over your cash..

flaunt your ****, get your settle down money and shut it for a while, rinse and repeat. It's not a bad move IMO.

Yeah exactly, makes a ton of sense from Kim's perspective.

What I don't get is, why respond to that with over the top rhetoric? Like hell the US will bomb NK first - it'd piss off a whole bunch of countries with actual clout, most importantly China. Nothing positive came of it, and a lot of negative points were reinforced. Or maybe I'm wrong, in which case someone please let me know what positive changes came about from treating the matter this way.

I'm not sure he has nothing to lose ? only thing lil Kimmy cares about is funding his and a few of his pals extravagant life styles. So long as their country makes enough money to do that, which is basically only a few hundred million, then that'll be fine by him. I genuinely dont think he'd care if 90% of the population of his country died so long as he still has enough money for himself.

But then I could be totally wrong, maybe he cares about and finds war way more exciting than any amount of money

I'd think it's more about power, money is just a means to power. Once you're a certain level of rich (e.g. dictator level rich), having extra money doesn't mean squat.
Take away 90% of the population and he loses out on the power front, so at least from that perspective I'm sure he does care about keeping the general population (mostly) alive :p I hope.

I wish they'd make BS advertising illegal.

Looking at some monitor specs and see this:

"Pump up the sound with two built-in 2W speakers bringing world-class sound to your games and movies."

Srsly ? World class sound out of a 2 watt monitor speaker ? ffs...

So what, they have to say, "Bring the worlds ****iest audio to your games and movies."?

It has been the norm to advertise like that since before even Trotter walked this planet.

More accurately, if a dude says he's gonna kick your *** *unless you give him your wallet* and you take your shirt off and say come at me bro *but still give him your wallet first* then no it's kinda not calling any bluffs :p you already handed over your cash..

Yeah exactly, makes a ton of sense from Kim's perspective.

What I don't get is, why respond to that with over the top rhetoric? Like hell the US will bomb NK first - it'd piss off a whole bunch of countries with actual clout, most importantly China. Nothing positive came of it, and a lot of negative points were reinforced. Or maybe I'm wrong, in which case someone please let me know what positive changes came about from treating the matter this way.

I'd think it's more about power, money is just a means to power. Once you're a certain level of rich (e.g. dictator level rich), having extra money doesn't mean squat.
Take away 90% of the population and he loses out on the power front, so at least from that perspective I'm sure he does care about keeping the general population (mostly) alive :p I hope.
THe positive being we're not bombing them. They want them to try and bomb us first.

So what, they have to say, "Bring the worlds ****iest audio to your games and movies."?

It has been the norm to advertise like that since before even Trotter walked this planet.

Eh, no. They say "2W speakers to provide audio". Say it like it is. That's why false advertising laws exist. Just because something is the "norm" does not mean its right or acceptable.

Eh, no. They say "2W speakers to provide audio". Say it like it is. That's why false advertising laws exist. Just because something is the "norm" does not mean its right or acceptable.

It's not false advertising - "world class" is meaningless. Its meant to invoke emotion, which is what advertising does.

I dunno. The advertisers are clearly trying to say "it's of high quality". The wording they use is unable to be quantified, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the speakers clearly won't be "world class" or "of high quality" in any sense.
Or to put it another way, if we made "world class" a qualitative term with the meaning that they're trying to push, then it absolutely would be illegal false advertising. Still 100% false advertising IMO, just not illegally so.

I dunno. The advertisers are clearly trying to say "it's of high quality". The wording they use is unable to be quantified, but that doesn't detract from the fact that the speakers clearly won't be "world class" or "of high quality" in any sense.
Or to put it another way, if we made "world class" a qualitative term with the meaning that they're trying to push, then it absolutely would be illegal false advertising. Still 100% false advertising IMO, just not illegally so.

Basically why advertisers are able to get around it. Back in college, in our Composition 101 course, our instructor focused a lot on advertisements and the affect they have on us. Now I analyze every ad I see and see the BS marketing words they use. Pretty neat realization.

Basically why advertisers are able to get around it. Back in college, in our Composition 101 course, our instructor focused a lot on advertisements and the affect they have on us. Now I analyze every ad I see and see the BS marketing words they use. Pretty neat realization.
You needed a college course to see through PR snake oil?

Back
Top Bottom