Potentially the longest thread in history...

For his points about safety re touching 120v vs 240v, both are just as capable of being lethal. The whole "it's not voltage that kills it's current" is a tired line that gets repeated ad nauseam. You can hold a 1mV 10A power cord in both hands and nothing will happen because the voltage is not high enough to overcome your body's resistance. High voltage WITH high current kills.
The sockets in the US can provide 15A, 240V systems provide 10A. Lets say your body resistance is 100,000ohm (going off the high end)

120v/100,000*15= 18mA
240v/100,000*10= 24mA

10mA across your heart is already enough to cause death.
TL;DR don't touch either damn system, neither is "safer" than the other in terms of you becoming part of the circuit.

These days, insulation is good enough and safety devices like RCDs are mandatory (I believe also in the US?), so it's largely a moot point either way. If you had the chance to design a country's electrical grid from scratch, you'd probably opt for higher voltage lower current after the main distribution points, but I don't know of any major benefits of one over the other either way.

Last edited:
I had some very short notice surgery today. I went to the doctor's office yesterday to have a what I thought was a growing boil taken care of. the doc looked at it, grimaced, and sent me to see a surgeon due to the location and size (left groin area, 4.5" long and about 1.5" diameter... yeah, tell me about it). The surgeon cut into it to drain it and found it was not a boil or abscess; he was unable to remove it in the office as it was in deep so he scheduled out-patient surgery.

The anesthesia used really done me in. Apparently I do not tolerate ketamine very well. I slept around five hours after I got home. I have been up for about three and a half hours now and still can feel the vestiges of the vertigo it brought on. Ugh.

If there is a bright side it is that I now have at least a week off from work. My manager pulled the vacation time I had scheduled for week after next up for this coming week. I have a feeling I am going to be in a lot of hurt tomorrow, though.

Hope you get to feeling better trotty~!

As far as the whole power thing... I totally spaced out for some reason thinking 240v here was the same as in the UK when it isn't...

Euro is Hot/Neutral/Ground for 240v
NA is Hot/Hot/Neutral/Ground for 240v

Entirely different beasts and you can't use American 240v equipment on euro 240v, and vice verse.

We can get 240v on three wires, but it costs a good bit initially since a different transformer will have to be installed for a home, and most things require the euro 240v instead unless it's a large appliance, then it requires the american 240v.

Switching to Euro style 240v would be... much more difficult than switching from imperial to metric.

Last edited:
Hope you get to feeling better trotty~!

As far as the whole power thing... I totally spaced out for some reason thinking 240v here was the same as in the UK when it isn't...

Euro is Hot/Neutral/Ground for 240v
NA is Hot/Hot/Neutral/Ground for 240v

Entirely different beasts and you can't use American 240v equipment on euro 240v, and vice verse.

We can get 240v on three wires, but it costs a good bit initially since a different transformer will have to be installed for a home, and most things require the euro 240v instead unless it's a large appliance, then it requires the american 240v.

Switching to Euro style 240v would be... much more difficult than switching from imperial to metric.
Yup, we have 2 phase to the house, they have single phase.

Would be shocked to see 3 phase 240 to a house...

I could see 2 phase 240 to a house, but jeebus that's a lot of potential power, could only imagine the largest of homes having that.

You can get up to 3 phase installed here, some places have it hooked up to their garages for...reasons. Can't think what you might need to run off that :p

Today my broker emailed me telling me there's apparently quite a queue for loans right now, so his earlier estimate of this Wednesday will likely not be happening :/ I'll hear by next week or so now.

Last edited:
Random change of topic.

I need a new heir style. Has anyone got any reccomendations.

I've looked in google images but can't find anything as they all look the same.

I've shaved my full head since 17 with a full bierd shave but man Google just isn't a help.

Also need a change of bierd style. I have a full bierd atm but was thinking something short, trimed & maybe a pattern.

Heir style I was thinking short, trimed & again a pattern on the sides with something on top.

Anyone got any pictures or ideas post up.

@ PP..Whats your image.

Isn't always the case, just varies. Majority are single phase, but 2 phase isn't exactly rare. Can get 3 phase to houses as well I thinkk
I meant as in 90% general. 99% of all homes here are default 2 phase due to the setup and it's just split for our 120 circuits.

You can get up to 3 phase installed here, some places have it hooked up to their garages for...reasons. Can't think what you might need to run off that :p

Today my broker emailed me telling me there's apparently quite a queue for loans right now, so his earlier estimate of this Wednesday will likely not be happening :/ I'll hear by next week or so now.
3 phase would be used for high powered welders and air compressors to name 2 off the top of my head.

Random change of topic.

I need a new heir style. Has anyone got any reccomendations.

I've looked in google images but can't find anything as they all look the same.

I've shaved my full head since 17 with a full bierd shave but man Google just isn't a help.

Also need a change of bierd style. I have a full bierd atm but was thinking something short, trimed & maybe a pattern.

Heir style I was thinking short, trimed & again a pattern on the sides with something on top.

Anyone got any pictures or ideas post up.

@ PP..Whats your image.
I mean my pics are in the other thread. Haven't changed much since 7th grade.

Back
Top Bottom