Potentially the longest thread in history...

Well, got my salary review at last. Up to £23k from £21k, which is waaaay below the threshold for me handing my notice in (£28k). Actually massively insulting. One of the other people in the department (there are 4 of us) might be handing in his notice on the 8th so I'll wait for then.

That sucks. They did the same to me. I expected X amount and they significantly low balled me.

Fed up of this **** and being poor in general. Lets start a company !

Seriously though, I am fed up of a 9 to 5 office job. If anyone legit wants to start some sort of viable IT/Tech related business let me know.

^ Holy cow that's ridiculously low for someone in ANY IT field, especially information assurance / security. wtf? :tongue:

^ Holy cow that's ridiculously low for someone in ANY IT field, especially information assurance / security. wtf? :tongue:

The UK's IT pay is criminally bad compared to the US, especially states like Cali.

Even top software engineers at Facebook or Google offices in London are paid FAR less than their US counterparts. So we get less pay, and live in a generally more expensive country. Yey!

:sleep:

In fact it is so poor, you don't really get paid for being a 'professional'. IT at my work get paid the same as people with bog standard office jobs. There is no appreciation or respect for the knowledge and skills required. The industry Yami is in is about the only field of IT that still pays pretty well over here. Other than that, you're never going to get paid much unless you get the very top Cisco or Microsoft qualifications.

The average Sys Engineer pay in the UK is $47,000, compared to $85,000 in the US.

Last edited:
I am a happy dude right now.

I have twenty payments remaining on my car at 409 pounds. So £8000 to pay off over the next circa 2 years.

So I was going to cancel it, and the car lease website said I can cancel early, and pay off 50% of my remaining rentals. That would cost 4000, but hey, atleast i'd be saving 4000 compared to not cancelling my car lease at all.

But then I decided to actually read the law. And for once, the law is amazing. Some lawyer dude on a car forum:

"You have the right under the CCA to Voluntary Terminate an agreement at any time. After 50% of the total amount has been paid you can Voluntarily Terminate with the knowledge that, subject to fair Wear and Tear, you will have nothing more to pay.

That is a Statutory Right. A contractual term cannot compel you to pay in excess of that set in Statute"

My math sucks but I am 28 months into a 48 month contract. My math tells me that that means I have already paid off 50% of the total amount.

**** YEAH. I CAN SAVE MYSELF £8000 :cool::cool::cool:

^As long as you're taking into account interest on the loan, which is included in the calculation of how much money you'd owe them total.

E.g. if your loan was $10,000 at 5% interest for 2 years and you made a $1,000 initial deposit against the loan, your interest would be ~$950 over those 2 years.
So the final math would be 10,000 - 1000 + 950 = $9,950 payable total, 50% of which would be $4975. So as long as you've paid at least that much, you can VT.

Curious, did you ask them about terminating early? Cause it's pretty dodgy of them to try and mislead you about what your cancellation rights are (if that's what they've done).

^As long as you're taking into account interest on the loan, which is included in the calculation of how much money you'd owe them total.

E.g. if your loan was $10,000 at 5% interest for 2 years and you made a $1,000 initial deposit against the loan, your interest would be ~$950 over those 2 years.
So the final math would be 10,000 - 1000 + 950 = $9,950 payable total, 50% of which would be $4975. So as long as you've paid at least that much, you can VT.

Curious, did you ask them about terminating early? Cause it's pretty dodgy of them to try and mislead you about what your cancellation rights are (if that's what they've done).

VT isn't mentioned *at all* in my contract T&Cs (but I think I know why :( ) - but if I logon to my account, there is a button to 'Request VT Quote'

Anyway it looks like I got excited too hastily, as the Consumer Credit Act only seems to cover finance agreements whereby you are working towards purchasing the vehicle, e.g. PCP or Hire Purchase. Unfortunately the scheme I am on is PCH "Personal Contract Hire" which does not involve purchase of the vehicle, and so doesn't follow the VT part of the CCA :(

It still might be worth me doing though, even if the early termination fee is 50% of my remaining rental costs as I think it will be. I need to sit down with a calculator.

Here I am trying to save a few hundred a month, meanwhile people like Jeff Bezos net worth increased by $29Bn in a single year. That's like, $80m a day... -.-

Last edited:
Double post but w/e. Sometimes I swear I am in some kind of bull**** simulation and there is a bug that makes me unlucky in some ways. This past week, I swear to ****ing god, everytime I try to speak to someone at work about something cool, their phone rings or someone comes over and interrupts. It's only 9:30am and already happened twice today, it's really really annoying.

Back
Top Bottom