Potentially the longest thread in history...

Today I popsicled myself on my skateboard. Missed the jewels luckily :p but god damn falling full weight on a thin board with your quads is so much more painful than you'd think.

Also made it through to the end of a fully sober week :D just an exercise in self control, making sure I can actually do it :p really I should go for another week, but mate's bday is tomorrow so I figure it'd be rude to abstain there hehe

Well YOU literally used the word "literally" wrong :p you can't literally look over an abstract thing like a thought, unless maybe you printed it out or something :grin:

But yes, of course this is just my opinion lol. My entire point was to say that I personally am let down by the hype Intel built up in '15/'16, a ton of which was aimed not at business markets but at your average consumer.

Now I've got a 500gb evo 960 for a few hundred bucks that's very significantly boosted competition , so when intel only drops a few ****ty caching options for consumers like me as their 'big reveal', I am not excited :p

I'll hold my enthusiasm for when they drop SSDs vying for the same market as the 960s.
Eh, the print as you say or text is literally on the screen in front of you ;)

And unless you have a Kaby processor and a Z270 board the cache isn't aimed at you anyways. I have a 7700k and an MSI board and not even I can use it. I wouldn't really say these are a "big reveal" because 99% of the people out there can't even use it. I'd personally say any big reveal of Xpoint or Optane would be a DIMM package. Anything before that is probably not going to be very good. I actually had a 950 Pro and sent it back because it was pretty pointless over my current PCI-E M.2 which isn't even NVMe.

Today, my company launched and landed the worlds first reflown, orbital class first stage booster.

^Was watching the news on that, congrats!

Any solid figures around as to how much money was actually saved doing that vs building an entire new booster?

Eh, the print as you say or text is literally on the screen in front of you ;)

And unless you have a Kaby processor and a Z270 board the cache isn't aimed at you anyways. I have a 7700k and an MSI board and not even I can use it. I wouldn't really say these are a "big reveal" because 99% of the people out there can't even use it. I'd personally say any big reveal of Xpoint or Optane would be a DIMM package. Anything before that is probably not going to be very good. I actually had a 950 Pro and sent it back because it was pretty pointless over my current PCI-E M.2 which isn't even NVMe.

Geez that's literally a stretch but I'll literally let it slide :p

I mentioned the kaby/270 thing earlier when I said who the **** would buy a hdd to run things off with a system like that, making a caching option pretty useless
But yeah, for the 960s vs 850s etc, I guess we're at the point where both perform at a base level that's high enough to be indistinguishable for average use, and you'd actually need to do something a bit more intensive to see meaningful differences. What a time to be alive :grin:

^Was watching the news on that, congrats!

Any solid figures around as to how much money was actually saved doing that vs building an entire new booster?

Geez that's literally a stretch but I'll literally let it slide :p

I mentioned the kaby/270 thing earlier when I said who the **** would buy a hdd to run things off with a system like that, making a caching option pretty useless
But yeah, for the 960s vs 850s etc, I guess we're at the point where both perform at a base level that's high enough to be indistinguishable for average use, and you'd actually need to do something a bit more intensive to see meaningful differences. What a time to be alive :grin:
Not a stretch in the least, I took your point and used it against you lol.

Hence why I said IOPS is where it's at, and the cache isn't the main piece people were looking for. What will trickle down is the SSD that was introduced to the enterprise sector. The cache is simply crumbs to keep consumers appeased for whatever reason.

But I was being purposely farcical with that suggestion :p hence the inclusion of not just a :p but a :grin: as well lol. No idea why you tried to take it seriously haha

As far as IOPS tho, IIRC the 960/50s at *least* doubled what the 850's offered, so shouldn't you see some improvement if that were the case? Apparently you noticed none at all though.
I dunno tho, what's the bottleneck currently stopping my system from booting in 2 seconds instead of the 14 it currently takes?

I kinda discussed this with Yami on FB yesterday.

For some reason I have turned from a horrible human to a nice human with regards to animals. When I was in my young teens, I always used to go hunting. I'd burn ants with a magnifying glass, hunt squirrels and vermin with my bow and arrow or airrifle. Didn't like dogs or cats etc.

But now, i'm a big softy and all pathetic :lol: I pulled over in my car to get a ladybird out and put it on a flower. If I find a bee on the floor I sit down with it and try and make it better with some sweet food or water (sometimes successfully :D ). I'm a huge sucker for awesome dogs like golden retrievers too. I find hunting of intelligent animals like whales or elephants pretty damn upsetting. I couldn't give two ****s when I see on the news that another human has been murdered, but I get some serious rage over elephant poaching stories or anything like that. I've no idea what changed in me. It kinda came out of nowhere.

There are a few exceptions; I am okay with bird hunting when they're destroying farmland, and spiders. I hate spiders. All spiders must die*

*Actually that's not true. For some reason, common garden spiders don't bother me at all. They're complete bro's. Chill as ****. All other spiders are torturous.

Last edited:
Maybe suffering through the injustice that is life tends to make you more empathetic towards other things/beings that are also being treated unfairly with no recourse to defend or help themselves. Makes you angry because you can personally identify with their struggles, and maybe you wish someone would help you in the same way :p it's a good thing I think

But I was being purposely farcical with that suggestion :p hence the inclusion of not just a :p but a :grin: as well lol. No idea why you tried to take it seriously haha

As far as IOPS tho, IIRC the 960/50s at *least* doubled what the 850's offered, so shouldn't you see some improvement if that were the case? Apparently you noticed none at all though.
I dunno tho, what's the bottleneck currently stopping my system from booting in 2 seconds instead of the 14 it currently takes?
Because the internet is srs bsns? I'm surprised you took me seriously lol.

Bottleneck will be post and filesystem for boot. The most we see is during concurrent things running on the same drive. Hard to really explain in short detail.

Back
Top Bottom