Potentially the longest thread in history...

Well I'm pretty sure what you're describing is the technological singularity.

JOIN US

I for one welcome the our new robot overlords.

There is a reasonable chance you will one day be under the command of robot overlords, whether you like it or not. If they really do accomplish the feat of intelligent AI, they'll run companies and countries far better than any human.

And also potentially kill everyone.

I wouldn't mind robot overlords at this point... I just pray that the ****ing idiots that run the government now don't get their corrupt little hands on them and have idiots reprogram the robots to be one-sided.

Alright, who's the one who thinks they're going to be fired from their job? I have yet to see an update and I'm interested. The man/woman who overseas mobile marketing and their colleague rolled out an update to the whole company and he was left out in the matter? Its only a few pages back but couldn't find it.
+ Congrats PP! how's the lender looking?
Standstill. Waiting on appraisal which is 10 days behind and my CC company to report my payment.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13969206

****ing lol. Optane doesn't seem very exciting to me anymore. What a load of hype for nothing :p
It's the very beginning of Optane and boasting 500k IOPS and above. I've been saying for a couple years now throughput is useless, it's IOPS.

It's kind of a case of diminishing returns, at least at a consumer PC level. Enterprise will always demand more of everything.

Flash storage SSDs mean my games load faster and that I can click on a bunch of desktop apps and they open near enough instantly. I don't sit here thinking "God damn I wish XXX would open quicker" like I used to on HDDs.

So even if Optane eventually became 50x faster than my current SSD, i'm not sure how much it'll actually effect me right now. Of course as tech moves forwards, software becomes heavier and heavier because we have the hardware power to still make it feel 'light'. So I guess that'll be a thing.

There is a reasonable chance you will one day be under the command of robot overlords, whether you like it or not. If they really do accomplish the feat of intelligent AI, they'll run companies and countries far better than any human.

And also potentially kill everyone.
I think "far better" is subjective. Would it be possible for an ai to have remorse or sympathy? Or just straight statistic on making $.

I wont work for a corporation ever again because of the way they are ran.

Locally owned places in my line of work (sous chef) pays more and gives you more freedom. Every corporate ran job ive had had had dumbass rules on how to do xertain things that made no real sense....but you had to do it there way.

In my last three jobs if i wanted to change something i could call or text the owner and explain how i wanted something done and why. And 9/10 times got my way because even if fiscally it was worse, it helped with personal morale making thing better.

With AI i feel like it would all be rudundant.

It's kind of a case of diminishing returns, at least at a consumer PC level. Enterprise will always demand more of everything.

Flash storage SSDs mean my games load faster and that I can click on a bunch of desktop apps and they open near enough instantly. I don't sit here thinking "God damn I wish XXX would open quicker" like I used to on HDDs.

So even if Optane eventually became 50x faster than my current SSD, i'm not sure how much it'll actually effect me right now. Of course as tech moves forwards, software becomes heavier and heavier because we have the hardware power to still make it feel 'light'. So I guess that'll be a thing.
Any advancement in SSD tech is the right direction. Maybe more speed is pointless but the more it evolves the cheaper more space becomes.

Back
Top Bottom