Potentially the longest thread in history...

I had to build the CEO's son a birthday gaming rig this morning, and just got a call from his mum saying "it doesn't have wifi. Wifi is an integral part of a gaming PC."

:lol::lol: whatever you say! Ordering a wifi card now...

Had good fun building it though. I was kinda blown away with how little cabling I needed to do. There's 3 power cables from the PSU total. 24 pin mobo power, 8 pin CPU power, and 8 pin GPU power. No molex/sata power needed as there's no optical drive or hdd, no sata cables either. Love the way future builds are gonna go :p

I've started thinking pretty hard about just switching to a manual labor job. Those positions often get paid pretty lucratively, it's more "work" but way less mental stress/strain. Dig a hole, hard to stuff up :p but apparently worth $35/hr. I don't even get $30/hr to wake up at 2am suddenly having an anxiety attack wondering whether I've remembered to action every little thing that week.
Only prob with that is I need my **** ****ing license already :p booking another test today, hopefully the few months since the last one have calmed me down enough to pass -_-

I'd want $150K a year for manual labor in 40c Aus weather and putting on my work boots to find a black widow nest inside them.

I had to build the CEO's son a birthday gaming rig this morning, and just got a call from his mum saying "it doesn't have wifi. Wifi is an integral part of a gaming PC."

:lol::lol: whatever you say! Ordering a wifi card now...

Had good fun building it though. I was kinda blown away with how little cabling I needed to do. There's 3 power cables from the PSU total. 24 pin mobo power, 8 pin CPU power, and 8 pin GPU power. No molex/sata power needed as there's no optical drive or hdd, no sata cables either. Love the way future builds are gonna go :p

I wonder whether we'll ever get wireless interconnects that are fast and reliable enough to replace SATA and PCI-E lanes etc.

When I built my gaming PCs, I always used ethernet. However I specced the Killer wireless on my gaming laptop, and I have to admit, other than initial teething issues (****ty drivers), it's remarkably reliable and consistently fast. It doesn't slow down one iota even on a huge 50GB download or whatever. I don't recall it ever losing connection either, it's actually more reliable than the router itself. Though I am basically the only heavy WiFi user in my house, so that helps.

Last edited:
I wonder whether we'll ever get wireless interconnects that are fast and reliable enough to replace SATA and PCI-E lanes etc.
Theoretically possible but wouldn't be worth all the disadvantages and it'd always be significantly worse at that distance compared to wired interconnects.

Gaming isn't so much throughput but more latency. That's where wireless falls on it's face. A cable will always have better latency than wireless.

Mmmmmmmm actually I am not so sure in terms of the physics on that. Does electricity flow faster through copper wire than radio travels through air ? AFAIK the latency from wireless comes from the receiving and transmitting stage, rather than the actual fact it's travelling through the air. My point being, one day they might be able to drastically reduce or eliminate the latency penalties of wireless TX/RX.

Or I could be completely wrong :p

From my understanding the latency comes from the resistance and throughput of the chips changing the signal. Could they perfect this? Sure, but anytime soon doubt it. I have a feeling things like the wireless device for the Vive are a specially made device in terms of latency, something wifi really isn't made for.

Isn't the G900 supposed to be near (or better than some) wired performance (it controlled labs it was, anyway).

From my understanding the latency comes from the resistance and throughput of the chips changing the signal. Could they perfect this? Sure, but anytime soon doubt it. I have a feeling things like the wireless device for the Vive are a specially made device in terms of latency, something wifi really isn't made for.

Isn't the G900 supposed to be near (or better than some) wired performance (it controlled labs it was, anyway).
Same thing.

When you send an electrical signal down a wire, it's not sending an electron traveling from one end to the other, it's propagating an electromagnetic wave and as such travels exactly as fast as other electromagnetic waves.
The only difference is that those waves travel different speeds in different materials; in a vacuum it travels ~299,000km/s; in a wire it can still travel pretty damn close to vacuum speed (pending on the characteristics of the wire).

So *technically* we're introducing more delay by using wires. The issue is extracting a useful signal.
With wires we can shield them from EM interference and be pretty sure that if the signal goes " 1010101" that it's not just random noise but an actual generated signal.
With wifi, you've got nothing to shield your signal from the noise of the environment. That means you have a bound on how fast you can send your data. The less delay you leave between your data bit transmissions, the easier it is to dirty the signal.

Back
Top Bottom