Potentially the longest thread in history...

This week I went snowboarding, skiing, hiked half an hour up a mountain to see a castle in the alps, and best of all my hungarian airbnb host got me laid :p couldn't have done any of that if I didn't keep myself in shape. It's a no-brainer imo, and the longer you leave it the harder it gets to make the change.

I don't live super healthy at all (case in point had like 3 liters of beer and an entire pork hock yesterday along with a redbull and a cigar :p) but I do exercise every day and honesty feel ****e when I don't. Is how you're living now making you happy? If yes then great, if no then ****ing make a change already. No need to run 5k every day and go on weird diets, but doing absolutely nothing is equally as crazy imo.

This week I went snowboarding, skiing, hiked half an hour up a mountain to see a castle in the alps, and best of all my hungarian airbnb host got me laid :p couldn't have done any of that if I didn't keep myself in shape. It's a no-brainer imo, and the longer you leave it the harder it gets to make the change.

I don't live super healthy at all (case in point had like 3 liters of beer and an entire pork hock yesterday along with a redbull and a cigar :p) but I do exercise every day and honesty feel ****e when I don't. Is how you're living now making you happy? If yes then great, if no then ****ing make a change already. No need to run 5k every day and go on weird diets, but doing absolutely nothing is equally as crazy imo.

On a skiing holiday right now. For normal downhill skiing, I can't really say you have to be fit or in good shape if you are skiing casually. The only time you need to be in good shape is if you are skiing hard, fast, tight turns, and without stopping part way down each run. But 95% of skiers do not do that. They casually ski blue and greens, the occassional red run and they stop every few hundred meters once their legs begin to feel a little sore.

What I will say though, is apart from when I was kid, all the recent times I have been skiing I was 245lbs. This time I am 215lb and moderately fitter because of it (weigh less = stuff is easier), other than that I don't do exercise other than being fairly active at work due to nature of job. I am away from my desk quite a bit fixing ****, so I do a fair amount of walking up and down stairs, going under desks etc.

OH MAN has it made a big difference. Before I used to sweat like a pig just walking to ski lifts and carrying my ski's. My legs would burn like a raging fire very quickly on most of the runs, it really sapped a lot of the fun out. Now I ski from the top of a run to the bottom, pretty fast. Not extremely fast like the pro's and people who live at ski resorts, but still 30mph+ for the entire run. I only need a quick rest at the bottom and I am good to go again. I can ski for 6 hours and feel fine. It's honestly a revelation, I am so, so glad I lost weight for this skiing holiday.

But you still don't need to be super fit to ski, it's nothing like as demanding as going running 5km or something.

Last edited:
Oh yeah sure, not super fit lol, but definitely not no cardio fitness whatsoever :p there were a couple people trying to catch the skilift at the beginners slope, and you kinda have to be able to support your body weight at the initial momentum build. They splatted flat on their face more times than they made it up the slope lol, can't be enjoyable.
And that base level of fitness is really not difficult to achieve, just keep putting in even 5 mins of training every day. Otherwise imo you're limiting yourself hugely in terms of the things you can enjoy doing. Sure you can technically go skiing, but like you said it's way more enjoyable if it's not nearly killing you to do it. Same goes for so many other parts of life, which is why I think it's a no-brainer. You have the information, so it comes down to you making a choice. You can't blame it on you not knowing any better any longer.

The main difference I find have a good level of fitness now is that it's so much easier to just get up and do things. It's easy to motivate myself if standing up or going upstairs or whatever are a lot easier, and I'm more productive as a result. It doesn't save me any time as such but it stops me from letting thing fall through the cracks out of laziness.

Oh yeah sure, not super fit lol, but definitely not no cardio fitness whatsoever :p there were a couple people trying to catch the skilift at the beginners slope, and you kinda have to be able to support your body weight at the initial momentum build. They splatted flat on their face more times than they made it up the slope lol, can't be enjoyable.
And that base level of fitness is really not difficult to achieve, just keep putting in even 5 mins of training every day. Otherwise imo you're limiting yourself hugely in terms of the things you can enjoy doing. Sure you can technically go skiing, but like you said it's way more enjoyable if it's not nearly killing you to do it. Same goes for so many other parts of life, which is why I think it's a no-brainer. You have the information, so it comes down to you making a choice. You can't blame it on you not knowing any better any longer.

I'll never be super fit because I absolutely HATE getting hot and sweaty, so i'm never going to stand on a treadmill sweating my tits off, which a lot of people either seem to not mind or flat out enjoy. I am the guy that sits in the shade whenever it's above 25c because I don't even like the heat of the sun when I am not doing anything, let alone exercise.

My best bet of being reasonably fit is if I could do light to moderate kind of exercise that I actually enjoy, pretty much skiing.

Last edited:
I'll never be super fit because I absolutely HATE getting hot and sweaty
One of the best bits about switching sides is that I barely sweat any more. Even in the worst-case scenario, which is when I'm 45 minutes into a 60 minute workout, having forgot to tie my hair back, and with the gym heating system blasting right in my face, at most I get a light misting of sweat on my face and lower back.

My problem is that I can't put weight on... I'm 6ft and 130 pounds :(
Got some dumbbells for christmas, and I'm trying to add 500 extra calories a day, but damn it's hard eating over your comfort zone :sick::sick::sick:
I know I'm lucky but still, I've spent the last 21 years looking like a stick insect :annoyed:

My problem is that I can't put weight on... I'm 6ft and 130 pounds :(
Got some dumbbells for christmas, and I'm trying to add 500 extra calories a day, but damn it's hard eating over your comfort zone :sick::sick::sick:
I know I'm lucky but still, I've spent the last 21 years looking like a stick insect :annoyed:

Wow 130lbs at 6ft ! I am 6ft 3 and 215lbs, and I feel like another 30lbs or so and i'd look fairly slim!

I can give you some fatty eating tips. Do you like curry and stuff ? because it's really easy to add calories to that kind of food, you can easily add 100g of butter or oil. It will only have a small effect on portion size and taste, but will add a huge amount of calories easily. Oil is really your best friend because just 100 grams is nearly 1000 calories.

Or if you like cheese fondue, you can melt an entire block of camembert and dip in (fried) chicken to eat it. It's easy to eat a lot of calories without physically eating a large amount of food that way too.

Last edited:
Wow 130lbs at 6ft ! I am 6ft 3 and 215lbs, and I feel like another 30lbs or so and i'd look fairly slim!

I can give you some fatty eating tips. Do you like curry and stuff ? because it's really easy to add calories to that kind of food, you can easily add 100g of butter or oil. It will only have a small effect on portion size and taste, but will add a huge amount of calories easily.

Or if you like cheese fondue, you can melt an entire block of camembert and dip in (fried) chicken to eat it. It's easy to eat a lot of calories without physically eating a large amount of food that way too.

I know right, I'm a medical marvel :cool::cool:
Only problem is when you weigh less than your girlfriend. Girls are not too fond of that :lol:
I love curry, and that kind of stuff is good, but i'm trying to add it as healthily as possible too :angel:
So i'm trying to eat more seeds as snacks, drink more milk, eat higher calorie fruit (bananas are pretty good), that kind of thing. And keeping track of how many calories I consume through the day is pretty useful too.

I know right, I'm a medical marvel :cool::cool:
Only problem is when you weigh less than your girlfriend. Girls are not too fond of that :lol:
I love curry, and that kind of stuff is good, but i'm trying to add it as healthily as possible too :angel:
So i'm trying to eat more seeds as snacks, drink more milk, eat higher calorie fruit (bananas are pretty good), that kind of thing. And keeping track of how many calories I consume through the day is pretty useful too.

Coool cool. How many calories are you eating each day at the moment roughly ?

Back
Top Bottom