Potentially the longest thread in history...

You know, you could have the most serious story in the country but as soon as you say it happened at a Piggly Wiggly, I just lose it.

You know, you could have the most serious story in the country but as soon as you say it happened at a Piggly Wiggly, I just lose it.

True. Not only was at a Piggly Wiggly, but at a small one, the only grocery store in a very, very small town. Sort of weird when you stop and think about it.

Backup tapes alone each month cost more than just our backup business line. Thats without the server, backup system, tape drive, licenses, upkeep...

I really dont know how you can totally lose connected with two leased lines with 99.9% uptime from different ISPs on a 4 hour SLA terminating at different entry points in the building. The odds of that are extraordinary.

Two 99.9 uptime lines gives a probability of 99.999. So you could reasonably expect a disconnect once every 10,000 days. Or roughly 1 day every 30 years.

Oh, just like when a local farmer cut that major fiber backend that AT&T owns here in kentucky, taking all cellular and virtually all wired internet services with it? Yes, it impacting TWC and various other service providers. Believe it or not, that's happened 3 times in the last year here in KY, someone has cut a major link and it takes down friggin everything. The mesh is not much of a mesh these days. Having dual ISP is almost useless in such situations unless you are using a satellite ISP or two for such things. Why so many systems depend on that link is beyond me, it's almost like the routing tables go, "derp" at the worst possible time.

I will always side with having services on the local network before I depend on internet connectivity and another company for things such as office documents, internal phone systems, and so on. I have seen many businesses that go the cloud method and lose massive orders because they depend on a program sitting in the cloud, and it not be available, and others that can still process orders just fine because they keep things as local as possible. I am referencing companies that use phone based ordering for farm equipment mostly.

When you are talking $100,000+ for farm equipment and you lose an order because your system uses a document stored on a webserver somewhere in the cloud instead of locally while your internet is down, yeah, you are screwed.
Basically this. Like I said Lockheed here has several lines and they all went down because one of the main pipes downtown went down due to construction. I don't know exactly how each ISP here is routed but I'm pretty sure we have fiber coming from 3 different companies here all of which went down from one main connection going down. IIRC one of backup lines is an OC192 connection coming directly from ATT which also powers our cell tower.

And be realistic, what small company needs a tape backup? Like for real?

Yea, this.

So my rant for the day:
I hate people who mess with things. I was out yesterday and came in this morning to notice my boss had shut down all machines, moved a bunch of stuff, ate at my desk and got what looks like cake on my G710+, and greased up my company laptop. Wtf man.

Basically this. Like I said Lockheed here has several lines and they all went down because one of the main pipes downtown went down due to construction. I don't know exactly how each ISP here is routed but I'm pretty sure we have fiber coming from 3 different companies here all of which went down from one main connection going down. IIRC one of backup lines is an OC192 connection coming directly from ATT which also powers our cell tower.

And be realistic, what small company needs a tape backup? Like for real?

Yea, this.

So my rant for the day:
I hate people who mess with things. I was out yesterday and came in this morning to notice my boss had shut down all machines, moved a bunch of stuff, ate at my desk and got what looks like cake on my G710+, and greased up my company laptop. Wtf man.

Depends what your definition of small company is. By small I mean ~300 employees like where I work. We have 100's of terabytes of data. So yeah we used to put it on 1.6TB tapes before we moved to cloud.

Major cable breaks do happen, but to cut a pipe so large and important it effects three different ISPs is just so rare. It's happened to you, fine, but it's not representive by any stretch. A normal cable break affecting a building, or perhaps several buildings is unfortunate enough. I've never seen anything on the news of a line breakage that severe over here in the UK.

Last edited:
More common here in the states than you would think kman, companies that are responsible for such lines don't really give much care or thought to anything. They place a line 5 years ago 10 foot into the ground, that land is farm land, fast forward another 5 or so years, the ground has washed away from constant farming, the ol' guy on the tractor plows the field, suddenly a major fiber optic cable is cut bringing communications for an entire state down.

**** happens, and not much can be done about it. Granted this doesn't happen often, it has happened enough in the last few years that I have zero hope in regards to the stability of such infrastructure.

On the bright side, KY is planning to roll out its own fiber backbone that will link every city and county, and allow small time internet providers to tap in and provide the last mile services. Supposedly this backbone will not link to a single point of failure that AT&T has provided to this region. Granted, there are still weak links like my area and a few surrounding ones only getting hit in one spot would take out the internet for anyone on that network, it looks a lot better than what AT&T and TWC have given this state.
Kentucky to build 3,400-mile state-owned broadband network – and a fight is brewing • The Register

I want to fastforward to 2026 in a world supported by the power of deep learning, computer vision, AI and AR.

I think so many people, even many who are interested in tech, are really underestimating the rate of technological change over the next decade. Purely in terms of deep learning, companies like Microsoft/Nvidia/Facebook are reporting over 50% accuracy gains in certain categories like image recognition in just a year. Where are we going to be in 2026 ? They're already doing per pixel image recognition. You're going to be able to go on Facebook and search your photos for crap like "picture with that bottle of arabic Coca Cola with a printing error where the 'C' is cut off at the top". And it will find it. Which is fun, but it's far more interesting when you integrate that tech into AI based tech like self driving cars.

C# makes so much more sense to me lol. Seems like PS is so damn cryptic... never would have known about 'join-path'. I did it the way I did it there because it was similar to String.Format's syntax in C# lol.

Only because you're expecting it to be like C ;) just need to get used to the verb-noun layout. C has a join function correct? So does PS - it's just laid out as verb-noun, so join-path or join-string etc. Once you get used to that it's actually pretty nice :p I promise!

For the few interested and would like to give input/feedback, here ya go... The feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Simplemans Guide to PFSense 2.1.5
https://mega.nz/#!ogggEQJT!M9ybpPQCjvNwhk9TpzQp9xfWvZS3wkHFkXRxk9x6hh0

Actually rather good timing, thanks. We're looking at implementing PFSense here so I'll have a read through today and send you some feedback :thumbsup:

Please do s0ulypoo~ :)

Just remember, it's a simplemans guide, as in, focuses on the most popular packages and benefits of PFSense... If you really want to get into the deeper details of PFSense (and are looking at 2.2.x which I advise against! Wait for 2.3 or use 2.1.5) then I highly suggest sending me a PM, or buy a PFSense Gold Membership. >.>

Back
Top Bottom