Potentially the longest thread in history...

And now I am paying £26 a month for 80/20 instead of £56 on BT.
BT's. Rock solid stable, and the WiFi covered the entire house
Sounds to me to be a case of.. "you get what you pay for"
I mean that you now have a cheaper service and... hello? surprise!!! you now have a cheap service. Does Vodafone allow you to use your own modem and router? You might consider doing that

Last edited:
Sounds to me to be a case of.. "you get what you pay for"
I mean that you now have a cheaper service and... hello? surprise!!! you now have a cheap service. Does Vodafone allow you to use your own modem and router? You might consider doing that

The service is the exact same speed, they just provided a router with **** WiFi. Now I am using the BT router for WiFi.

So im saving 30 gbp a month and have the same speed and wifi performance.

BT lets you keep their modem/router?
I recently switched from AT&T to Xfinity (Comcast). AT&T demanded to have their modem/router back or I would have to pay penalties. Comcast wants $5. a month to use their modem/router so I am using my own. AT&T stated I could not use my own modem/router and I had to use theirs but they did not charge me any fees either.
Currently on Comcast I use my own Surfboard SB8200 modem and an older Netgear WNDR 4500 router. AT&T gave me a bunch of crap (had to drive 30 miles to the "shipping store") about returning my equipment and Comcast gave me a bunch of crap about forcing a tech to connect my modem... after some argument I was allowed to connect my own equipment myself..... You do not know how lucky you are to get service without any headaches or fighting with the ISP's

for around $130. month wth AT&T was was getting tv and 75/6 internet
with comcast for around $130. I am getting tv and 250/20 internet
Comcast/Xfinity offers 1gb down internet in my area but it is not worth the $$$ they want to charge to use it

Last edited:
BT lets you keep their modem/router?
I recently switched from AT&T to Xfinity (Comcast). AT&T demanded to have their modem/router back or I would have to pay penalties. Comcast wants $5. a month to use their modem/router so I am using my own. AT&T stated I could not use my own modem/router and I had to use theirs but they did not charge me any fees either.
Currently on Comcast I use my own Surfboard SB8200 modem and an older Netgear WNDR 4500 router. AT&T gave me a bunch of crap (had to drive 30 miles to the "shipping store") about returning my equipment and Comcast gave me a bunch of crap about forcing a tech to connect my modem... after some argument I was allowed to connect my own equipment myself..... You do not know how lucky you are to get service without any headaches or fighting with the ISP's

Uhm yeah we don't have any of that **** here. No one asks for their equipment back or anything.

In terms of using your own modem and router, I think it works with all ISPs. But they wont "support" you if you do. I.e. if your internet goes down, you have to put your ISP provided modem/router back in place before they'll help you out, which is fair enough.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that having a comcast "tech" connect me would cost an extra $50. That is why I did not want them to connect me and I know that I am capable of doing that for myself

If you want internet in the U.S. bring your own vaseline because they won't provide you with that either

I'm on 50/25 for $70/mo, not tooooo bad considering I used to be on 3.4/0.5 for the same price 6 months ago :p

Meanwhile in New Zealand..
3hpEYTU.png

edit: speaking of things the govt is finally doing right, we're FINALLY getting access to our banking data :O :O :O AMAZEBALLZ. The banks have been resisting for over a decade because this means people can manage and track their accounts with far greater ease, took a bloody govt commission to force this into effect.
https://www.finder.com.au/open-banking

TL;DR 3rd party access to banking data no longer blanket blocked, in fact mandatory to allow. I can finally write an app that automagically fills out my budget instantly for every purchase I make, setup different alerts and triggers, dynamically allocate and transfer cash. Yisssss

Last edited:
Yeah :p still, I'd *gladly* pay $100/mo for unlim gig internet.
For reference, here's what $100AUD gets ya. "Tech heads with a need for speed" :lol: :lol:...T_T a whopping 86Mbps. Weeoooww.
And $100nzd is ~$95AUD, just for the cherry on top.
gsIizK3.png

Yeah :p still, I'd *gladly* pay $100/mo for unlim gig internet.
For reference, here's what $100AUD gets ya. "Tech heads with a need for speed" :lol: :lol:...T_T a whopping 86Mbps. Weeoooww.
And $100nzd is ~$95AUD, just for the cherry on top.
gsIizK3.png

We don't have Gig fiber in much of the UK. Newer residential flats in bigger cities do, and I think it's pretty much law now that all newbuild houses being constructed have to have fiber too. But I think coverage is like 5% of the population overall. People who can get it though, the prices arn't too bad. About £60 for 1000/1000 I think.

In the mean time, I'm paying $130 for the "privilege" of having 300/35.... Amazing how US prices are almost as bad as notoriously bad Australia :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom