Potentially the longest thread in history...

Hecc no, quite the opposite. I think this country is mainly ****.

But that's not really the point. The problem with being one of the richest countries in the EU is these interconnected benefits do not benefit 99% of people.

This is where I disagree; it benefits a large percentage of people, they're just mostly not British. This is what I mean about identifying as European more than British; why should I be heavily advantaged economically and politically just because of the bit of land I was born on? This advantage should be used to pull everyone up, not shielded from others to keep them down.

But I am a white british etho-nationalist skinhead so why would I agree with that :)

/s

Naw I just think there are better ways to help all countries and people than to just let them move country to somewhere better paid at the expense of other people. For example, the UK is actually really good at foreign aid. 2nd in the world in fact, and still better than the v. majority of countries on a per capita basis. I think our foreign aid is 2/3rds of the USA's with about 1/10th of the economy. My point is there should be international targets, and more pressure on increased foreign aid spending.

There is a 2% NATO soft target for military spending. Imagine if there was a 2% foreign aid target ? That would mean the USA spending about $250bn a year on foreign aid. The UK would be spending about $70bn on foreign aid. This money could go to less fortunate countries and create higher paid jobs, better education etc. Everyone benefits because countries that receive heavy investment are far less likely to fall into a recession, go into civil war etc. What you spend on aid investing in 3rd world countries now is probably money you save sending in the military to clean them up later. See north africa and the middle east.

I appreciate the EU already does some of the above, but it is shrouded in unacceptable levels of bureaucracy and inefficiently redistributed because so much of their budget goes on stuff nothing to do with aid.

edit

also fwiw i'm not like "hurr durr dem immigrants!". lol. Fully aware that there are a lot of great immigrants that we 100% need, especially doctors, nurses and such for the NHS.

Last edited:
The problem with giving aid to 3rd world countries... is that their govt's keep the finances and very little actually goes to those that need it. I'm not saying that we should not stop trying to give aid to improvised countries but if you consider, it may have been corrupt govt's that got them to be an impoverished country in the first place

I can't help but laugh at the "liquify the gays"... Just a funny way of putting that [emoji38]

Decided I would follow and make a really traditional authentic italian Bolognese recipe, and also make my own pasta.

I don't have a proper pasta machine so I just made a really small batch initially to see how much work it is rolling it using just a rolling pin. tl;dr very ****ing hard:- so I noped out of that for the full meal and just bought some fresh refrigerated pasta from the store. Though I must admit the tiny bit of pasta that I did make was really tasty, and would be very easy with a pasta roller machine so I might get one.

Not tried the bolognese yet as it has to simmer for 3 hours. But it involves 1 cup of onion, 1 cup of celery and 1 cup of carrot. Then you add 2 cups of milk, and simmer til it's all gone. 2 cups of white wine, again simmer til it's all gone. Then some fresh tomatoes, and ofcourse all your meat (a half kilo of pork, and a half kilo of beef). Certainly a different recipe and pretty time consuming, so hopefully it's worth it.

Probably one of the easiest things to make that people think is hard is sushi. It's so cheap too. The hardest part is rolling :tongue: That and potstickers. Super easy.

I haven't made much Italian lately. I made some ravioli a few weeks ago though. The italian grocer is on the other side of town so I don't go there often.

I have a thing that I've stuck to over the last few years.. One new recipe a week.
Asian, indian, italian, mexican, greek, cajun, etc.

man I'm hungry now. Gumbo sounds delicious right about now :lol:

Probably one of the easiest things to make that people think is hard is sushi. It's so cheap too. The hardest part is rolling :tongue: That and potstickers. Super easy.

I haven't made much Italian lately. I made some ravioli a few weeks ago though. The italian grocer is on the other side of town so I don't go there often.

I have a thing that I've stuck to over the last few years.. One new recipe a week.
Asian, indian, italian, mexican, greek, cajun, etc.

man I'm hungry now. Gumbo sounds delicious right about now :lol:

Blehhhhhh, really not a fish fan. Let alone raw fish in crap like sushi. Big no no.

The only fish I like is battered and fried, but even then it's only okay :p

Decided I would follow and make a really traditional authentic italian Bolognese recipe, and also make my own pasta.

I don't have a proper pasta machine so I just made a really small batch initially to see how much work it is rolling it using just a rolling pin. tl;dr very ****ing hard:- so I noped out of that for the full meal and just bought some fresh refrigerated pasta from the store. Though I must admit the tiny bit of pasta that I did make was really tasty, and would be very easy with a pasta roller machine so I might get one.

Not tried the bolognese yet as it has to simmer for 3 hours. But it involves 1 cup of onion, 1 cup of celery and 1 cup of carrot. Then you add 2 cups of milk, and simmer til it's all gone. 2 cups of white wine, again simmer til it's all gone. Then some fresh tomatoes, and ofcourse all your meat (a half kilo of pork, and a half kilo of beef). Certainly a different recipe and pretty time consuming, so hopefully it's worth it.

I was only ever taught the method that takes 3-4 hours, gets all the flavours nice and melty :D haven't tried that style of flavour though! I normally add the tomats way early so they go richer and less fresh tasting, might try the above tho for a less overpowering tomato taste.

Probably one of the easiest things to make that people think is hard is sushi.

#1 thing that makes me see **** like "jiro dreams of sushi" and think, honestly, what bs :p this guy has spent 28 years "perfecting" how to slice a friggin raw fish and put it on a bit of rice? Riiiiight.

Today I'm getting a major step closer to finishing up my kitchen! Putting bench tops on and sink/induction top in. After that I just need the sparky in to wire up the new points and to put some splashback tiles in, then it'll be an actual livable kitchen once again.

Woo, passed my PCNSE (Palo Alto Certified Network Security Engineer). That's one big stressful thing out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom