Potentially the longest thread in history...

I'd still vote stick it on gumtree (or craigslist for you guys?), why trash a perfectly good TV?
I mean I sorta understand if it's just an emotional thing, I may or may hot have trashed a few items of mine in the last break :p albeit things worth $100 max not 10 times that.

Ooh nearly forgot, kman you are some sort of solar wizard I swear cause your prediction was 100% spot on! It looks solarpanelyish :grin: sorry for the messy back yard
Already produced over 18kWh today alone, and it's still winter with a bunch of intermittent cloud cover. Should be interesting to see what summer brings!
N7q35KE.jpg

3XI7TLN.jpg
Mainly because it's an older Samsung TV 4K from 2015 and newer TVs worth 1/4th that cost are better. I can get 100-200 for it sure, or get the satisfaction. Not a huge deal really, as it's being replaced by a 2018 60" Samsung 4K HDR anyways and 4 more TVs.

Edit: I did pay for it, but oh well. I actually didn't have the time this morning to take anything to the dump so it's still sitting there. I'll probably cool off and sell it.

Last edited:
Ah yeah ok. Still! $200 is $200, when this event is a more distant memory IMO you'll be more satisifed with yourself for being level headed than doing some self-defeating revenge trashing. I know I would've been :grin: still miss my glass hookah #RIP(es)

Aaand back to solar cause I can't shut up about it now, got some data through my inverter too - it's not as detailed as I'd like, but luckily it has an API so I'll be able to build my own tracker/logger/graphs. I think a lot of their stuff relies on having an additional "smart meter" to report accurate usage and feedback
My panels are installed half east half west facing, guess which is which :p atm the winter slant means the west panels get a bunch more sun than east cause the sun is rising more like north-east than direct east now.
HapeDUd.png

Last edited:
Ah yeah ok. Still! $200 is $200, when this event is a more distant memory IMO you'll be more satisifed with yourself for being level headed than doing some self-defeating revenge trashing. I know I would've been :grin: still miss my glass hookah #RIP(es)

Aaand back to solar cause I can't shut up about it now, got some data through my inverter too - it's not as detailed as I'd like, but luckily it has an API so I'll be able to build my own tracker/logger/graphs. I think a lot of their stuff relies on having an additional "smart meter" to report accurate usage and feedback
My panels are installed half east half west facing, guess which is which :p atm the winter slant means the west panels get a bunch more sun than east cause the sun is rising more like north-east than direct east now.
HapeDUd.png

Nice, they look decent.

They're getting surprisingly common in the UK too considering our generally poor weather.

And in other news, 2 years on from release, SteamVR is still a buggy flawed pile of **** generally. For a company of Valves size and profit, and supposedly great engineers, they are really slow at polishing software. However, when the Vive Pro works, its really great. The difference between the Vive and Vive Pro is basically this:

Vive: Well this is cool, but damn, aiming down gun sights, reading text and viewing the dash in cars is pretty difficult.

Vive Pro: Well this is cool, I can still see the pixels and screen door but... I can easily aim down gun sights, read text and view the dials in the car i'm driving!.

So in that respect, it's a huge improvement. You can forget about the screen and concentrate on the game and content, because the screen is rarely an issue in actual usability now. On the original Vive it was constantly hindering my experience because game menu's were illegible and so on and you went to aim your gun in game to find your iron sights were just a blob of blurred pixels. But now you can resolve everything properly. Ofcourse it is still nothing like as sharp as even playing on a monitor at even 1280x720, but it's good enough for now. Ergonomically the HMD is way better too, the head mount keeps it in place when you look down at the floor and move around quickly. The built in headphones are pretty meh, but I will take them over having to faff around with my own headphones every time. Could do with lenses that are sharper at the egdes as well. I was finding when shooting a bow and looking down the sights at an angle towards the edge of my vision, that the optics were too blurred to see where I was aiming properly. Overall I am having a great time with it and finally enjoying some good games in VR, objectively it is way overpriced - but if you are stupid like me and happy to ignore the fact it's bad value for money, you will have a good time.

Last edited:

Those things are really going to flop.

Though I was interested to see the 4K 144Hz GSync monitors are using Intel Altera FPGA's and 3GB of RAM, which apparently to a normal person cost a couple of thousand dollars each if you buy one unit online. Obviously Nvidia/Asus won't be paying that figure, but I can imagine it is still quite expensive.

There were a few comp science hobbyists buying the monitors just to remove the Altera chip because it was cheaper than buying them on their own.

Those things are really going to flop.

Though I was interested to see the 4K 144Hz GSync monitors are using Intel Altera FPGA's and 3GB of RAM, which apparently to a normal person cost a couple of thousand dollars each if you buy one unit online. Obviously Nvidia/Asus won't be paying that figure, but I can imagine it is still quite expensive.

There were a few comp science hobbyists buying the monitors just to remove the Altera chip because it was cheaper than buying them on their own.
The chip itself is $500 single unit price.

Edit for clarification: What they're using in the monitor is $500, and bulk cost for the product is cheaper. What they want are development kits which cost several thousand depending on use case.

Last edited:
The chip itself is $500 single unit price.

Edit for clarification: What they're using in the monitor is $500, and bulk cost for the product is cheaper. What they want are development kits which cost several thousand depending on use case.

Ah yeah that makes sense. So why do Gsync have these huge expensive chips and Freesync doesnt seem to need it?

Forgot to mention if anyone was interested.

My damn Server died or at least the HDDs on it. Running pfSense on that baby for months and then I'm sitting enjoying the piece and quiet one day and all I can hear is a clicking noise and man I was gutted a 76GiB 2.5 Inch " HDDs started failing. I've never looked at it proper yet and tbh I really cant be chewed with it. SATA as well.

Really thinking of stripping my full network and salvaging components. Might sell some stuff.

Just realized that I'm 30 pages behind!!!
Hey PP
Will a 2070 or 80 be bottlenecked with my current system, I can switch my i5 to the i7 4770
Plus I just took a 32" monitor/TV home from work that no one was using.f
Trying to find that sweet spot for the PC.

Ah yeah that makes sense. So why do Gsync have these huge expensive chips and Freesync doesnt seem to need it?
Because it's Nvidia and Gsync blows.

Just realized that I'm 30 pages behind!!!
Hey PP
Will a 2070 or 80 be bottlenecked with my current system, I can switch my i5 to the i7 4770
Plus I just took a 32" monitor/TV home from work that no one was using.f
Trying to find that sweet spot for the PC.
No idea, we don't have any proper numbers yet. Only speculation.

Back
Top Bottom