Potentially the longest thread in history...

For a few weeks now, I've been using my Logitech G500s at work, and my G502 Proteus at home. As much as the G502 is fine, it really doesn't hold a candle to my G500s. The layout of buttons isn't as good, the shape isn't as perfect, and the buttons aren't as easy to differentiate by touch alone. I don't regret the purchase necessarily, I'm just lamenting the fact that the G500s was absolutely perfect for me :p

I don't like making purchases on my phone. Much harder to read reviews or do any kind of research on a product.

Ray tracing is going to be a gameworks feature. Think I might gamble waiting to see what the GTX side of things brings. Barely 1000 more cores, not much more in memory bandwidth, and the selling point appears to be tensor cores for a feature that will barely get used. Not only that, but eVGA has a 3 slot card showcased and FE stuff should be dual fan meaning this thing will run hot. Might get the crispy pass from me.

I'm seeing pretty strong rumors the Ti will be $1199 in which case they can get ****ed.

So... Sitting on a 750Ti... Should I try to obtain a 2070, or 2080? Certainly not dumping money on a 2080Ti when it comes along.

2070 being $500 is a good bit of change for me...

I would tell you 2070 ti if you want a new one and money is tight. I was hoping to snag a 2080ti but unsure I want to spend 1,200. May consider it if it is 999 but the 2080 is looking attractive at 699

The price difference between the 2080 and 2080Ti is a bit ridiculous... Not much gained on paper it seems, and almost twice the price depending on who you're trying to get one from... No thanks!

Think i will place a pre-order for a 2070 and call it a day.

RTX what? Hard nope. When the ti is Titan priced there's a problem. That essentially puts them in the position that the Titan V is now the "Titan" card for the 2000 series and the 2080ti will be the upper high end for 1200. That is just retarded and I hope AMD has something to catch them with their pants down in the middle segment where the money is.

On top of that, I hope tensor and RT cores are enough to carry the weight for the SM disadvantage compared to Paxwell. Not only does 2080 suffer from reduced core count, but also mem bandwidth and from what I'm reading core clock as well. To top it off that eVGA is a 3 slot card so guessing heat is an issue now too (on top of the dual fan founders). This isn't boding well and makes sense why they released the ti at the same time. 2080 could very well be slower than 1080ti for SM tasks.

Edit: Unless they went pci-e like AMD looks like no SLI either. Oof.
Edit2: Using NVLink and the bridge is 80 bucks. Ouch.

Last edited:
RTX what? Hard nope. When the ti is Titan priced there's a problem. That essentially puts them in the position that the Titan V is now the "Titan" card for the 2000 series and the 2080ti will be the upper high end for 1200. That is just retarded and I hope AMD has something to catch them with their pants down in the middle segment where the money is.

On top of that, I hope tensor and RT cores are enough to carry the weight for the SM disadvantage compared to Paxwell. Not only does 2080 suffer from reduced core count, but also mem bandwidth and from what I'm reading core clock as well. To top it off that eVGA is a 3 slot card so guessing heat is an issue now too (on top of the dual fan founders). This isn't boding well and makes sense why they released the ti at the same time. 2080 could very well be slower than 1080ti for SM tasks.

Edit: Unless they went pci-e like AMD looks like no SLI either. Oof.
Edit2: Using NVLink and the bridge is 80 bucks. Ouch.

Not sure on the heat part, getting mixed messages. During the actual conference he said that the FE card cools are 1/5th the loudness fully overclocked (apparently they have crazy overclocking headroom according to Jensen) of a FE 1080Ti. You wouldn't think a super hot card would be quiet, as the coolers would have to run so fast to keep it cool. Idk. RTX is ahead of it's time anyway, the ray trace cores will be great one day, but basically they admitted a 2080Ti is fast enough to do one small part of rendering using ray tracing at the moment at a limited quality. Probably going to need 50 to 100 Giga Rays a second before we can't start ray tracing reasonably big chunks of a game and making them look truly good. I guess they had to start somewhere with the ray tracing...

Last edited:
Not sure on the heat part, getting mixed messages. During the actual conference he said that the FE card cools are 1/5th the loudness fully overclocked (apparently they have crazy overclocking headroom according to Jensen) of a FE 1080Ti. You wouldn't think a super hot card would be quiet, as the coolers would have to run so fast to keep it cool. Idk. RTX is ahead of it's time anyway, the ray trace cores will be great one day, but basically they admitted a 2080Ti is fast enough to do one small part of rendering using ray tracing at the moment at a limited quality. Probably going to need 50 to 100 Giga Rays a second before we can't start ray tracing reasonably big chunks of a game and making them look truly good. I guess they had to start somewhere with the ray tracing...
Well I mean, that's what I said. It's not enough for anything substantial and what it's being used for will be Gameworks stuff anyways layered on top of already existing tech.

As for the heat, that's because they went dual fan with a beefier cooler. Cards like the eVGA being 3 slot and Nvidia upping their TDP rated cooler says it'll run hotter. Hell, the founders 2080ti is rated for 260W so it'll easily go over 300.

My 1060 is good for now; runs fortnite on epic, what more do I need :p

Jks aside, when I (finally) find some spare cash for 2x 1440p displays instead of a single 1080 I'll be looking into it, hopefully ~8ish months away so should give stock/prices time to level out a bit.

Bit weird with the ti being released concurrently, I thought it was meant to be an optimised version of the xx80 o_O

Back
Top Bottom