Potentially the longest thread in history...

So i've realised that even though I am basically 95% out of having depression, which is good, I am still kinda... unstable. Not in the sense that I have mood swings or any of that jazz, but i've just realised that while I am okay at the moment, it would only take a small thing to break me. E.g. at the moment I am feeling like my job is kind of down the ****ter and I need a new one, but the idea of actually starting a new job is such a huge thing for me right now I feel like it would just completely push me over the edge and i'd have some kind of mental breakdown :omg: Kinda weird but it is what it is. I guess the term would be fragile.
Been there. Having something "stable" is good for a bit to ground you until you can work back to wanting to pursue something new.

Got the solar guy out yesterday and he had a ton of good info, really gonna have to make this calculator now to see whether a battery is worthwhile -_- this should get...interesting.

So i've realised that even though I am basically 95% out of having depression, which is good, I am still kinda... unstable. Not in the sense that I have mood swings or any of that jazz, but i've just realised that while I am okay at the moment, it would only take a small thing to break me.

I felt/feel the same way. But IMO embrace it and snap already :p it's better that way. Or to put it another way, nearly anything's better than teetering being just "okish" in a job you don't like in a routine that barely changes. That's a recipe for no personal growth, and I've found THAT is the most unsatisfying and most depressing thing ever; when you can feel you're just stagnating and not challenging yourself or changing. It might be the easiest and most comfortable thing, but it's so unfulfilling.

Got the solar guy out yesterday and he had a ton of good info, really gonna have to make this calculator now to see whether a battery is worthwhile -_- this should get...interesting.

Personally I'd go for it for qualitative reasons even if they numbers wouldn't quite make it worth it or make the ROI 20+ years. Energy independence is a massive boon (especially come the revolution! :p).

I felt/feel the same way. But IMO embrace it and snap already :p it's better that way. Or to put it another way, nearly anything's better than teetering being just "okish" in a job you don't like in a routine that barely changes. That's a recipe for no personal growth, and I've found THAT is the most unsatisfying and most depressing thing ever; when you can feel you're just stagnating and not challenging yourself or changing. It might be the easiest and most comfortable thing, but it's so unfulfilling.

How much are the batteries going for these days ? Battery prices are plummeting, so I reckon if you wait 3 to 5 years the price per Kwh of battery storage will probably be half of what it is now. Solar panels will probably be 20 to 30% cheaper. By which point, it will be pretty much no contest as to whether it's worth the initial financial outlay.

Plummeting? Unless I'm missing something batteries are gonna go up in price not down now lol, my own state has opened some new lithium mines that were passed over as not profitable enough before, which I'd thought was due to the *massive* demand on lithium/cobalt and the impending shortage of said materials that you'd think would most certainly drive the prices up.

The Tesla Powerwall 2 is retailing for 12k at the mo, dude said they have a few left in stock then will be upping their prices when Tesla is even capable of getting them another shipment.

Plummeting? Unless I'm missing something batteries are gonna go up in price not down now lol, my own state has opened some new lithium mines that were passed over as not profitable enough before, which I'd thought was due to the *massive* demand on lithium/cobalt and the impending shortage of said materials that you'd think would most certainly drive the prices up.

The Tesla Powerwall 2 is retailing for 12k at the mo, dude said they have a few left in stock then will be upping their prices when Tesla is even capable of getting them another shipment.

But but but everything I saw showed Tesla rapidly reducing the cost of batteries... now am confused.

But but but everything I saw showed Tesla rapidly reducing the cost of batteries... now am confused.

Australia, bud. Importing makes everything more expensive, especially if it has to do with electronics/tech.

I can't decide between a Model S and a fully loaded Model 3. The S has slightly more range, but a fully loaded 3 will get me self driving and all that. Hmmmmm

I can't decide between a Model S and a fully loaded Model 3. The S has slightly more range, but a fully loaded 3 will get me self driving and all that. Hmmmmm

dude...

I know you work for SpaceX so there is deeply embedded Elon love and belief.

But, either one of two things will happen: 1) The Model 3 will never be capable of fully self driving - queue a class action lawsuit heading Teslas way, or 2) It will take at least 5 years for it to arrive in a somewhat working form in good conditions.

It's all down to Elon's insistance that you don't need Lidar. Lets take a look at where he stands on this relative to other companies.

GM Cruise: Lidar
Apple: Lidar
Waymo: Lidar
Zoox: Lidar
Uber: Lidar
MIT: Lidar
Volvo: Lidar
Ford: Lidar
Nvidia: Lidar
Baidu: Lidar
Bosch: Lidar
Aptiv: Lidar

Right so clearly he is completely on his own here in terms of if self driving is possible without Lidar. So you have to ask, what is the chance that everyone of these companies is wrong and Elon is right ?. Elon is not even a self driving car expert, he's just a tech savvy engineer CEO with a large ego who insisted his team make SDC a reality without lidar so he could sell the future of self driving cars to people right now and they'd buy into it for $5000. He had no choice really, if he wanted to sell SDC tech in the Model 3 with Lidar it'd be a $105,000 option with current Lidar tech and prices - so he had to skip the Lidar to sell the promise.

Back
Top Bottom