Potentially the longest thread in history...

Eleccy is not too bad here, we pay $0.16/kwh. But it's not really that simple as on our current tariff it's cheaper at night, where it drops down to about $0.06/kwh between about midnight and 8am. Which is decent, as it means we can do things like turn on the washing overnight and such. Plus I like to leave my AC on overnight too.

.... I pay around 2.3c per kWh..... yikes
Who the hell do you have as a provider down there? Lowest I've ever been is 7.5c with Ambit.

I was considering canning my insurance cause it's gone up to $98 a month now, I don't use it for anything other than avoiding the tax levy and getting a yearly dentist service/fluoride/etc treatment done. It'll work out like $20/mo cheaper but I guess I'm leaning toward keeping it for that price, better to have than not

Also I'm a little salty now I know how cheap elec is over there :p god damn that must be amazing. My latest bimonthly usage was 1445 kWh and cost me $445, ****in aircons are 500-650w each and I have 4 of them in different rooms. This is why I'm looking into solar so heavily now lol, espeically as the govt offers a rebate on the panels you buy atm. Well, technically you get solar "credits" which can be bought/sold so some/most companies just offer you a flat $ discount in exchange for ownership of credits.

Just received my current electric bill.

1809 KWH @ 0.101120 (total rate, combo of three) + 12.08 (customer charge and surtax) = 195. Last month was 172. This is for a 1500 sg ft home with central AC and three adults (washing/drying clothes, cooking, showers). Water is not included.
I wish my KWH was as low as these. We are over 2500 every month. Last month we peaked 3300.

Eleccy is not too bad here, we pay $0.16/kwh. But it's not really that simple as on our current tariff it's cheaper at night, where it drops down to about $0.06/kwh between about midnight and 8am. Which is decent, as it means we can do things like turn on the washing overnight and such. Plus I like to leave my AC on overnight too.
Basically what I have, except nights and weekends are free so I crank the AC at night and do all the cleaning etc at night.

Infuse Energy. Though it looks like they don't have my plan anymore
1KFiViQ.png

So 3.185c per kWh roughly, after taxes and fees and all that :tongue:

FINALLY got the parts in to build the graphics dept a new PC; dual nvme ssds, 8700k, 64gb ram, 1080 gpu, watercooling block & 280mm rad for the cpu, she runs nice :D

Also it's ridiculous dragging a 10GB file between the two drives, done in seconds :p hawt. damn.

Next up will be upgrading our SAN to a vsan with a few TB of nvme cache, then regular ol hdds for teh bulk of the storage.
Then we'll be finalising the network upgrade to include 10Gbps links to the graphics dept and 40Gbps between all the servers.

Last edited:
FINALLY got the parts in to build the graphics dept a new PC; dual nvme ssds, 8700k, 64gb ram, 1080 gpu, watercooling block & 280mm rad for the cpu, she runs nice :D

Also it's ridiculous dragging a 10GB file between the two drives, done in seconds :p hawt. damn.

Next up will be upgrading our SAN to a vsan with a few TB of nvme cache, then regular ol hdds for teh bulk of the storage.
Then we'll be finalising the network upgrade to include 10Gbps links to the graphics dept and 40Gbps between all the servers.

I read that as you bought your own PC then. I was wondering why anyone would buy a GTX 1080 right now when the new cards are just around the corner :p

Sadly the gpu is barely being utilised with the adobe suite :/ though that might change once the staff get into the 3d stuff. This'll be a proof of concept build for the rest of the dept once it's paired with the 2x 27" 4k dell displays I got coming for it :D gonna be one sexy beast. And they wanted a friggin iMac pfffffft xD this comes in about $1800 cheaper while also getting an upgrade from the 7700k and Radeon 580 in the iMac, not to mention 2 screens instead of one. AND the Logitech Craft keyboard paired with the MX Master 2. Ridiculus this even has to happen.

Last edited:
For ages now I have wanted to make a video of my set-up and post it hear on TF.

I doubt it will happen but on a plus note I got rid finally of my 3 seater leather sofa today making more room for my network. I have all my PCs up along the back wall and under my living room window networked threw and 10/100 Switch running Linux.

The other day I also bought two Dell Vostros 220's with 360 HDDs and duel CPU's .

I've set them up ready to get Linux installed on them but when I'm done I'm going to use them network storage threw the likes of Samba.

Pretty sweet having two servers and six desktops running all at once. I could buy a NAS but having it set up like this is something to play with and utilize .

I seriously CBA to build systems for the time being and simply want something out the box for to an extent P&P on my network.

Not to mention a Sat dish in the corner. I had my nabour help me with the removal of the Sofa and he looked and just said "WTF." I'm like I know rite.

Gonna look in to what iFargle said about running Cloud Storage.

I think my next purchase will be a Managed VLAN capable switch.

I would love to post a Vid but I know you will Mock me for having so many monitors instead of a KVM switch. Sometimes I like volume. It bulks up the whole thing I have hear at home.

To be honest I think my pad is more a man cave than anything else. :D :cool:

I know rite.

Back
Top Bottom