Potentially the longest thread in history...

Why you dreading it. Are you nervous.

EDIT: Is it just me or do Women seem too be getting more attractive in general.

I mean take the average 20 year old in their twentys. Am I rite, or just frustrated. Or Both. :lol:

Last edited:
Which one is the easiest or beginner level.
If these are tough do you have a suggestion for a starting point
None of these are beginner level. Sec+ is tier 2 and you have to pass almost the whole test because of how they grade it. Last time I took it I was being rushed and only studied 2 days. I made a 748 out of 750 (which is minimum for passing) but I'm pretty proficient in my level of work (even if Sec+ really covers nothing we do and is pointless). It's not so much the material that's hard, they're just not easily worded questions. You really have to seriously pay attention to vocabulary and context when taking these tests otherwise you might fail based on simply reading the question wrong and getting the wrong answer.

Take a look at this. The CompTIA career track depends on what field within IT so pick your field and it will show you certs from not just CompTIA but other vendors as well. I chose CompTIA because each of their certs are ~$500 and include a studying/exam practice platform called CertMaster. Versus many competitors who charge $1000+ just for the shot at taking the exam. I recommend choosing a study method that works best for you. Some people learn best in a classroom and its going to be worth it to spend some money to more adequately learn. CertMaster + CBT Nuggets happens to be a really good way for me to learn and I use new things I discover in CertMaster to find new Nuggets to watch.

Every cert out there has some sort of objectives page or exam topic overview. I recommend perusing the overviews of a few different certs you like and using that to determine where to invest your money and study.
I just buy Pass4sure and memorize the questions lol. I personally don't care to actually learn the material I will never need to know later.

I'm gonna definitely look into this for myself.
I don't have a degree and no certification, I've survived so far however I would really like to get certified in something, I do good at where I work and have never failed but I wanna get something official I guess, would be nice plus I really wanna try learning something so then I can maybe specialize in a specific area. In my last 2 IT gigs I've done random stuff here and there, never get a chance to focus in one area and master it so I can be confident to go elsewhere.
Thanks again for posting that. Might try doing some of these with my younger cousins who are now trying to get in the field.
I've said it several times before, certs aren't a means to fortify your career or give direction. Take for example my employers don't even care if we have it. We only need it because it's a DoD requirement. The past few interviews I've had (including my current job interview) not once mentioned education or certs during the interview process. THe last two were more interested in my VDI experience and my virtual environment at home. They asked me if I could apply this knowledge and experience in the field and I said yes because I mostly go by enterprise standards to a degree that's convenient for me. Matter a fact my current job interview was entirely on what I've done at home and asking me if I'd truly be ok with my current schedule. My discovery of NDI with OBS is another avenue I can take off in for another possible career option since it fascinates me and I want to play with it on a bigger scale. (NDI actually has a lot of corporate application, it's pretty neat)

I mean they're good to have and look good on a resume but I highly doubt you'll actually apply any of the material on a work basis. Sec+ is a DoD requirement for us and we literally use nothing out of the testing methodology in terms of cyber security or firewall protocol. Think of it like standardized testing in schools, because that's pretty much what it is. Oh you passed your SAT with flying colors, cool, but here's what we'll actually be doing in college. Oh you're A honor roll in high school? Here's the same minimum wage everybody else makes while you drown in student debt. Oh, you have tier 3 testing certs and a Master's degree? We're gonna put you under this guy's pay grade who's been with us for 10 years and has no formal education or certifications. You will also train under him.

Actually take for example the guy I had the pleasure of hanging out with from Orlando all weekend. Dude is a procurement manager for Aero directly dealing with JPO requirements. It's a fancy title for "the dude who tells you our servers and platforms are highly out of date and here's the cost for refresh". Also "the dude who tells you our Windows 7 platforms are about to go EOL but you'll tell me it's out of budget anyways". He was sent from Orlando to help with a node deployment and was asking me how to work an old Netgear ReadyNAS. He didn't know how to map to it. He was also asking me all kinds of hardware questions fishing for info on why our **** sucks so bad. I explained in detail all the problems we had, and I bet he takes that right back to his boss. He has no certs or degrees, he spent most of the time on LM networks doing classwork to finish his bachelors. He also makes roughly 40k more a year than me. Take that for what you will.

So in a nutshell what I'm saying is, they're nice to have as a flashy resume tool, but don't use these as a means of furthering your career or making your own direction. Find out what you want to do and just go for it. Don't be afraid to take up jobs along the way that may or may not be what you want to do as it can and should provide experience in other areas outside of your comfort zone. Learn and move along. That is exactly what I'm now doing as I have a couple opportunities coming my way because of it. You also might be lucky to land a job in a company that will pay to further your education like I did. Take this opportunity, even if it's something stupid or small. People who make careers in this field and decide to become those one trick ponies I talked about before are the ones who become outdated and replaced by younger fresher minds with less pay. IT has no place for dinosaurs who won't keep up with the industry.

Why you dreading it. Are you nervous.

EDIT: Is it just me or do Women seem too be getting more attractive in general.

I mean take the average 20 year old in their twentys. Am I rite, or just frustrated. Or Both. :lol:
He's dreading it for the same reason I'm dreading my test on the 6th of next month. It's time dedicated to studying and the test is long and dumb. Time that could be spent doing other ****.

Huge game tonight, can't wait. Chelsea vs Barcelona in Champions League.

I am English so really I should support Chelsea in this match, but I am a huge Lionel Messi fanboy and he plays for Barca, so I am hoping to see some magic from the worlds best player. I hope Barcelona destroy them :p It's always awesome watching world class teams in big matches like this.

Anybody who wants to know why people like 'soccer', watch this game tonight (UK time). There will be streams everywhere. 7:45pm GMT.

You know what should be illegal. Quoting a speaker or headphone frequency response within a dB variation specified.

It's one thing to get 12hz to 22khz at something lousy like +/-9dB, and VERY different to do it at +/-3dB.

edit:

This guy gets it.

So for example, a speaker or headphone may be said to have a frequency response of 40Hz–20kHz
(that's the range), ± 3dB (that's the variation). If a manufacturer specifies a frequency response without a ± xdB variation, it should set off a “Danger, Will Robinson!” alarm. No specified dB variation = no value whatsoever. Stating “20-20kHz” by itself means absolutely nothing, and it undermines the believability and credibility of anything else the manufacturer says.

Frequency Response: 20-20kHz ±3dB = Good. Nicely done. Meaningful information.
Frequency Response: 20-20kHz = bogus, filler, something to hide, trying to pull a fast one.

Last edited:
Huge game tonight, can't wait. Chelsea vs Barcelona in Champions League.

I am English so really I should support Chelsea in this match, but I am a huge Lionel Messi fanboy and he plays for Barca, so I am hoping to see some magic from the worlds best player. I hope Barcelona destroy them :p It's always awesome watching world class teams in big matches like this.

Anybody who wants to know why people like 'soccer', watch this game tonight (UK time). There will be streams everywhere. 7:45pm GMT.

used to be a huge AC Milan fan back when Shevshenko used to play.
Barca is such a typical team to pick to win, hope Chelsea wins

He's dreading it for the same reason I'm dreading my test on the 6th of next month. It's time dedicated to studying and the test is long and dumb. Time that could be spent doing other ****.

Pretty much.
That and I've heard it's stupid difficult :lol:

Youtube is just too God Damn well addictive. When I sit at the PC, and I fire up YT; logging in ect. I just sit and veg all night long.

Its horrible how I can be entertained by a -5 minute clip but don't watch regular TV like everyone else.

YT has got too be a total distraction unless doing some research for a DIY Project as I so often do.

I think I could be struggling hear boys with some sort of new untested on demand addiction. :p ..

Back
Top Bottom