Potentially the longest thread in history...

Every single post here mimics exactly what I have been telling her. My memories are a tiny 2ft Christmas tree on top of the engine area of the RV and presents lining whole front end of it. Lots of small 90s toys that people kept talking about. By the time I started wanting consoles I'd usually get the console for my bday and 1 game for Christmas. Was happy as ****. When we moved into our mobile home I was into PCs, Pokemon, and music stuff. Dad would regurgitate music stuff from pawn shops, my sister got me Pokemon cards, and my mom would have my dad take her to Frys to get a PC part. Even through our teen years (and my sister in her 20s/30s) we still did Santa just to keep the Christmas spirit alive. As a kid I appreciated the single big thing way more than a bunch of smaller toys I didn't necessarily want.

Sooo I have a herniated cervical disk. Past few days, my left arm hurts and goes numb when I sneeze or cough (I have a cold). Googled it, apparently it's a pretty common sign. A disc has slipped a little in your neck, and the action of moving your head when you sneeze traps a nerve that goes to your arms.

Apparently not a major thing... so I don't care. I think if I do some neck exercises, lose some weight it will resolve itself. I havn't read anything that indicates being fat causes the issue, seems to just be kind of random. But it can only help if I lose a few lbs :p

Some of my best Christmas memories as a kid... When I was about 5 I got an oatmeal box (one of the big round Quaker ones) full of die-cast cars. Not Hot Wheels or Matchbox, but the super cheap hollow ones you get in a 24 pack. It was awesome to me.

I was really into Space:1999 (Google it) one year so my folks got me an Eagle 1. It probably cost $20 back then and I didn't get much else but I was over the moon.

When I was four we went down to Macon, GA for Christmas with my uncle's family. A snowstorm hit and we ended up with over two feet of snow. I have no idea what I got that year but I still remember the fun we had in the snow.

I was in my early teens and had just discovered D&D. My parents bought me the Basic and Advanced sets (these were pre-hardback books, early 80's). I think that was all I got from them but it was more than enough.

*Kicks feet up on desk* Well tomorrow I'm off for a company Christmas party so during this last hour I'm kicking it at work drinking some coffee and listening to some Christmas smooth jazz. When I go home, Crown and Dr Pepper while I game into the night.

@PP,

When I was a kid, my Mom before she passed would save for something called Love2Shop Vouchers and about two months before Christmas they would receive their vouchers being everyone who saved for them all year around and then you would go and spend them at the big retail stores like JD, and Kids.

My first PC was bought by probably the only friend I've only ever had and that was a gye who was in his 80s when he passed and thats how I got in too the who PC scene after I became acquainted with someone who introduced me too them. I've never seen the gye in years but my love for tech has prevailed.

No way would I have ever gotten a PC in the late 90s when you look at how expensive they were if it had not of been bought for me by essentially my granddad; my best friend.

As kids I and we used too run around playing in the streets till 9PM and the likes of 10PM making our own fun like Manhunt and Tag. No such things as smart phones and games consoles were pretty rare. My first games console was a SEGA Mega-drive and I never really took much interest because I prefer to be with people.

Even now with the cost of Christmas People in my family still use Love2Shop Vouchers because it cuts the cost of Christmas massively because its so expensive when you are not only buying for your own family but extended and giving gifts to neighbors etc:

I hate Christmas now because its over commercialized and everything is money. As an adult I can recognize that and having the latest Phone or the best GPU is Bull****. Every year the TV especially will want you to by their producta or the chefs will want you too cook their meals with their Cook Books and then the austerity in this country is something else I'll not go in too.

I'll be spending Christmas on my own this year but the best thing about Christmas and this is coming from some one who knows first hand is Friends Family and good food not having the latest commercialized products.

I'm gonna have to buy a waterproof camera and strap it to me next time I go fishing, found a new beach with awesome scenery and can't wait to go back :D some monster fish swimming around there, only a matter of time before I manage to get one muahaha

This weekend I had to work switching our ISP over. Updated a ton of dns records, cleaned up the server racks a bit + did some updates in the downtime. Only took us from 6:30-10:30am so not too bad a stint this time. Pity we only get time in lieu as a reward -_-

JFC our telemarketing team manager is a right ****. He wants the lead generation system perfect, and it already is 99% perfect.

I made a webform that hooks up to a webservice. An enquiring customer fills in their details on our website, submits it, and it enters straight into the companies database as a potential lead. The telemarketing agent gets automatically allocated these leads, they click on them, view the details, and ring the customer to book an oppointment. We get about 150 enquiries a day. Probably once a day, a customer will fill the form in twice, because they've realised they've entered the details wrong. The service recognises the details are similar, and stacks them in the lead view for the agent. So it is clear as day it's a duplicate. The agent needs to just select a duplicate, and click "Reject". So, 10 seconds one per day amongst an entire team of agents at most ?

This ****ing telemarketing manager wants an elaborate ****ing system that automatically stops the customer filling in the form again and submitting another job. 1) I'm not spending hours programming this system to work effectively to save 10 seconds per day 2) It's not even a good idea, we WANT the customer to re-send a form with their correct details, so we can get an accurate quote for them

Guy is a ****ing tool :mad:

Why are you doing development work anyway?

Cus I read somewhere the best way to earn good money is be good at two things, as it's way more difficult to earn enough money from being amazing at one thing.

Plenty of great system administrators
Plenty of great developers

Not so many people that know both sys admin & development work :D Sure you come across them, but it looks good on the CV/resume if you can handle both Ops and Development work.

Plus, I really enjoy it.

I had to make a script that checks for exchange stuff being added on new mobile devices because our General Manager has gone bat**** insane over "security" - any new devices have to be added to a form with your signature that basically says "we own your device if you connect it to our services in any way and can fire you if you do anything inappropriate going forward".

Got a notification with my manager's name in it, so I sent her an email to make sure she'd signed the list xD
RZtddY5.png

Back
Top Bottom