Potentially the longest thread in history...

Just refuses to connect. I try to connect using the same syntax as I do to connect to another machine in the same lab, but it just doesn't connect. RDP is definitely enabled.

I assume you've tried by IP ? :p Checked you're added to the remote desktop users group for that PC too ?

I assume you've tried by IP ? :p Checked you're added to the remote desktop users group for that PC too ?
Yes, and no but I can't even get to the point of being able to provide login details. When I set up RDP for the other machine I just put the IP into the RDP prompt and then gave DOMAIN\USERNAME and password when it prompted me. Also works via IP.

I know the desired machine is functional and on the network, I've logged in locally many times and used it fine.

Random question: What's to prevent someone RDPing from A to B, and then opening RDP on B and logging into C, and then from C to A?

Yes, and no but I can't even get to the point of being able to provide login details. When I set up RDP for the other machine I just put the IP into the RDP prompt and then gave DOMAIN\USERNAME and password when it prompted me. Also works via IP.

I know the desired machine is functional and on the network, I've logged in locally many times and used it fine.

Random question: What's to prevent someone RDPing from A to B, and then opening RDP on B and logging into C, and then from C to A?

Something funky with the RDP settings on that PC then. Might not have the service running or something. Must come up with an actual error code ?

Uhm.. never tried it ! so not sure. Why would you want to do that :p

Congrats on the anniversary Trotter :D

Our IT department really is useless. All of my tickets are ignored unless they're easily and immediately resolvable.
Same with where I work, except even the little stuff doesn't get done quickly.

Example of ignored ticket ? Ratio if IT support engineers to staff ?

Here we have 8 hour SLA for 1st and 2nd line, and 16 hours for 3rd line. Time only elapses during your working hours though. It's not super strict either. Sometimes there is nothing you can do to complete it within SLA as we have to wait on something, so we put them on hold which pauses the timer.

Lol our wait time is up to 2 weeks for everything...and it seems like literally everything takes that time. A lot of times on the last day of the 2 weeks it'll get done, or we'll send an email asking the status of it and then it'll immediately get done. *facepalm* For example...setting up an email distribution group and setting me as the owner. I put a ticket in and didn't hear anything back for about 10 days...on the 10th day I sent an email to the help desk with the ticket reference and asked what the status of it was...an hour or so later it was completed. -.-

Our business does run pretty damn smoothly from an IT perspective. I'd say 60% of our tickets are user error, but honestly it's a 50 person company so you get to know everyone pretty well and it makes the job easier :p people are less likely to give a friend/aquaintance hassle

@yami might also be worth double checking port 3389 is unblocked

At my company, we have around 10,000+ employees for which we provide local (on-site) and global (remote) IT support via a decentralised, virtual, follow-the-sun help desk model. Currently we have three SLAs:

Initial Response Time - within 2 hours
Resolution Time - within 2 days
Customer Satisfaction - 95% or above

We are doing okay at the moment. Handling 8000 - 8500 tickets / support requests per month globally, with 96% of those requests meeting SLA - current initial response time averaging 2 hours, resolution time averaging 2.2 days and customer satisfaction at 97%.

We're a rather lean department, with about 50 IT support staff for 10,000+ employees (around 1:200).

This hasn't come easy though. Our performance used to be lower, but we've spent a lot of time over the past 1-2 years maturing our IT department - globalising and standardising, improving and implementing new internal IT systems, simplifying and upgrading our IT infrastructure (though we are very much in the cloud), refining our processes and procedures, better problem management and knowledge management / documentation, better leadership, training and motivation of IT staff.

I know it can be done because I have another machine I regularly remote into, but for some reason I couldn't RDP using either the machine name, domain+machine name, or IP address, all three of which work for the machine that does work.

I commonly find the root cause of Microsoft remote desktop connection issues to be in one or more of these areas:

- Remote Desktop is disabled (set to 'Don't allow remote connections to this computer') in System Properties, and/or the user has not been added to Remote Desktop Users group on the remote machine.
- Group Policy is enforced preventing remote desktop connection to the machine.
- Windows (or other 3rd party) Firewall blocking RDP traffic.
- DNS / Domain Name Server configuration issue (e.g. outdated or misconfigured DNS records). Local DNS settings may also be misconfigured.

What happens if you try and ping the IP address of the remote machine (from your machine), and what happens if you try and ping the host name of the remote machine?

Same with where I work, except even the little stuff doesn't get done quickly.

Lol our wait time is up to 2 weeks for everything...and it seems like literally everything takes that time. A lot of times on the last day of the 2 weeks it'll get done, or we'll send an email asking the status of it and then it'll immediately get done. *facepalm* For example...setting up an email distribution group and setting me as the owner. I put a ticket in and didn't hear anything back for about 10 days...on the 10th day I sent an email to the help desk with the ticket reference and asked what the status of it was...an hour or so later it was completed. -.-

Wtf. Unless they're completely BURIED under work that is insane. Even back in Exchange 2007 that's a 1 or 2 minute task. In Office 365 it's about 10 seconds (once you're logged in at least).

And people at my work hate IT because they think we suck. We always tell them they're actually pretty lucky, but they never believe us :rolleyes:

edit:

In other news, LEL my dad is such a stress head. He tried to flash his Xiamo phone but he's ran into an issue after saying he can't login or something. Anyway, if you listen to him, you'd think he just crashed his car and didn't have insurance. I just tried to ask him what time we wants to go to the Cinema and he bit my head off lol ! even worse case and it's completely dead, it's not a big problem ? it's a $200 phone and he earns about $90K a year. I earn a fraction of that and I just laughed it off when I thought i'd bricked my phone that cost 3x as much. Buy a new one, get it next day, back to normal. No money to spend for a few weeks til your next paycheck but then back to normal too. :\

Last edited:
Spending time with my wife this week. We are in Pigeon Forge, TN. The wildfires that were burning in the area are all out and were up the road around Gatlinburg. Our moms are bringing our grandkids up tomorrow but our plan for taking them to the Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies won't be happening due to the fires, so we will be taking them to Wonderworks instead.

My best friend and his fiance had their house warming party yesterday. It was basically a bunch of us old high school friends and a couple extras. So naturally, it was pretty lit.

Back
Top Bottom