Potentially the longest thread in history...

Only because you're expecting it to be like C ;) just need to get used to the verb-noun layout. C has a join function correct? So does PS - it's just laid out as verb-noun, so join-path or join-string etc. Once you get used to that it's actually pretty nice :p I promise!

That's because I'm a C/C++/C# developer :p.

C# has a String.Join() method. It's laid out in a Object-Oriented / type-based, which is what I'm used to.

Depends what your definition of small company is. By small I mean ~300 employees like where I work. We have 100's of terabytes of data. So yeah we used to put it on 1.6TB tapes before we moved to cloud.

Major cable breaks do happen, but to cut a pipe so large and important it effects three different ISPs is just so rare. It's happened to you, fine, but it's not representive by any stretch. A normal cable break affecting a building, or perhaps several buildings is unfortunate enough. I've never seen anything on the news of a line breakage that severe over here in the UK.
300 is small, less is small. I'd say 500-1000 is medium. I think people put too much paranoia into cold storage these days as IMO unless you are creating an archive for a very big company or working a defense contract you shouldn't need tape backup.

Yea, if a major line goes down you won't see it in the news. Actually usually customers won't even be notified until they call asking wtf is going on. ISPs over here are so careless.

I'll see if I can find out exactly how many dedicated lines we have, but I know it's quite a few. That many setups going down at least twice in a year makes it more common than rare.

300 is small, less is small. I'd say 500-1000 is medium. I think people put too much paranoia into cold storage these days as IMO unless you are creating an archive for a very big company or working a defense contract you shouldn't need tape backup.

Yea, if a major line goes down you won't see it in the news. Actually usually customers won't even be notified until they call asking wtf is going on. ISPs over here are so careless.

I'll see if I can find out exactly how many dedicated lines we have, but I know it's quite a few. That many setups going down at least twice in a year makes it more common than rare.

Legally we need to retain data for 16 years.

Lol say waht, 300 person company isn't small in any sense of the word...small usually means less than 50 employees here.

Yeah but Australia has barely anyone in it.

My work has about 130 people, we're definitely small but our storage requirements are unusually high :p We have a 500TB storage server, and probably twice that amount again in free-floating storage i.e. drives used for current cases that get moved from analyst to analyst.

TIL the name of the thing that divides your groceries from someone else's - a spratchet.

Back
Top Bottom