Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Despite legal or language barriers, moving to a new state is still an undertaking. New laws, new vehicle procedure usually, and of course you need to be able to find a job before you move or have a ton of cash saved up. Also harder to visit the place you're moving into if a state you want to move to is across the country. Not to mention, moving from say Texas to New York is a huge cultural difference. I felt out of place just visiting that state.

Yes, but crucially you don't need to prove and pass any entry requirement exams, nor apply for passports and citizenship, proof of income etc. AFAIK anyway.

At least you can move somewhere. If you don't like it here, tough ****. No new state to move to. Of course you can move country, but that is a monumental undertaking.

Yes, but crucially you don't need to prove and pass any entry requirement exams, nor apply for passports and citizenship, proof of income etc. AFAIK anyway.

I'm assuming you have different sections like counties and burroughs though, yes? You wouldn't say all those places are all exactly the same right? I seem to hear all the time about how different people are from the different sections of the country, like north vs south...would you say it's the same to live in Leeds as it is in London?

On that note, our state system carries its own issues, especially with certain things like insurance, licensing, vehicle titles/registration/inspection, taxes, etc. The other issue is we have a fairly large country, moving state is pretty difficult because of the distance, especially if you need to have a job before hand. Some people have to fly out to where they want to move to do interviews if employers want to meet in person, and that's in addition to the actual cost of moving, finding a place, deposits...it's really not easy.

To coin a phrase....

Just Do It!

Believe me, if it was that easy I'd do it.

Move out to here :p. There's open apartments in my building! haha

Get me a job and I may consider it rofl.

Honestly though, I'm tired of living this far away from the coast as it is, SD would be even worse. I don't know if it makes sense but when you grow up near the ocean it just kinda...becomes a part of you. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

Get me a job and I may consider it rofl.

Apply to work for the state :p.

Honestly though, I'm tired of living this far away from the coast as it is, SD would be even worse. I don't know if it makes sense but when you grow up near the ocean it just kinda...becomes a part of you. Maybe it's just me, I dunno.

There's a river running right past town...so it'd be similar, right? :p.

I'm assuming you have different sections like counties and burroughs though, yes? You wouldn't say all those places are all exactly the same right? I seem to hear all the time about how different people are from the different sections of the country, like north vs south...would you say it's the same to live in Leeds as it is in London?

Yes we have counties.

So you have your city, in my case Leicester. Then you have Leicestershire, which is the countryside outside of the city for 30 miles or so. And then Leicestershire is part of the East Midlands.

But really they are nothing more than place names. There are no changes in law, licenses or anything. About the only change is if you posses a Firearms Certificate, that is registered against your local police force and needs transferring if you move.

I wouldn't say it's that different living in one city of another. Of course, London is far bigger and has a more extreme spread of wealth than any other city here. But other than that, going from Leicester to say Newcastle would be pretty much the same. Obviously different buildings and so on, and the people sound very different . Other than that not much would change. Some cities are cleaner and better looked after. Just like going from one suburb/village or whatever to another, like in any country.

Generally the south is considered wealthier, north is poorer. But it's a sweeping generalization. There are rich and poor areas at both ends of the country. Climate wise the south is 4 or 5 degrees C warmer than the north too.

So no, my lifestyle would not be totally different moving somewhere else in the country. Yes there are places of the country that are more beautiful, or more well off, or warmer. But it would not be like moving from the UK to Australia or something :p (which it seems a lot of brits do, we like Australia for some reason. Except me. Dem spiders :( ).

I dunno, I just think you have this idea that because we have the physical ability to move somewhere in this country that we have the option to do so. That's really not always the case. Moving within your country for you is like me moving within my state distance wise just to give you an idea. Forget the logistics of moving country and look at it in a much more simple manner: it's all about affording it and being able to have a job lined up where you go. Sometimes that means interviewing before you move, and while that may be easier in a place the size of England or Virginia (difficult enough as it is) think about it anywhere else even farther away. It kinda really sucks.

Yea like I had already said, despite legal and language boundaries. We don't have to pass any exams but fitting into a new clique in a different state is basically like moving into a new country as it is. You need to re-register your car, new state inspection, need to get that particular state license (although most don't) ect. Pretty much everything was already said in my previous post besides specifics. If I moved to Michigan it would be extremely tough to move 2 storage buildings of my crap over 1200 miles away. The hardest part being finding a new job and place to stay.

Back
Top Bottom