Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I wouldn't trust that guy to work on a lawnmower then. Toyota Camry = steel unibody and skin with plastic bumpers and every one of it's competitors is the same. Name one mas produced family sedan with a plastic body.

I don't know of any either. Saturn was the only one who consistently did them and they aren't in business anymore.

Ah, Saturn. I've owned many of those in my lifetime. Best cars ever made. You had to own one to understand why people loved them. Reliable, cheap, easy on gas and fun to drive. We still have 2 of them that we use occasionally. Those plastic bodies were great. No rust or dents, and if you got in an accident and they happened to crack they were easy to replace. Yeah, I love those cars...

Just gonna say this... the body of most cars is steel, mostly because aluminum is too weak to perform the job a car body must perform. The body panels though such as the fenders, hood and outer portions of doors tends to be plastic or fiberglass due to the higher cost of.aluminum as well as it being weaker in.light impacts... the frame and most critical components such as tie rods, brake lines or ANYTHING THAT MUST WITH STAND SERIOUS PRESSURES AND STRESS are made of steel or iron.

With that said plastics of the same size and shape as a piece of aluminum tend to flex yes but, aluminum will fail prioir to plastic in the area of bending for one reason.. if held too it will stay bent, plastic can spring back usually unless it.is a sharp bend.. if that happens aluminum would fail entirely and.plastics would hold the bent shape.
Boom.

Like I said, go to a parking lot and knock on cars. What's the first piece on impact? The plastic pieces. What usually has to be replaced anyways after impact? The metal pieces underneath.

Newer vehicles are also being produced with carbon fiber reinforced plastic or fiberglass to make better fuel economy. A lot of manufacturers are using more fiberglass or plastic outer panels because they are rust resistant.
Mock me, doubt me, or whatever all you want, but more and more vehicles globally are using more plastic and less metal.

As to the comment against my friend, start single-handedly restoring a car then you can talk. Or rather, own your own shop. Which ever comes first. Bottom line, the guy knows what he is talking about.

As a final word on this topic, it doesn't matter much what material the outer shell is. Something more flexible in a wreck (depending on the severity obviously) will most likely survive and bend/flex back into shape with some help. As long as it isn't too weak and breaks/cracks that is usually the case. I know if the engine cradle and inner material of Mariah's car was anything different I wouldn't have been able to get it back on the road with the crude resto I did. Then again, if the shell pieces of my own car were plastic I could fix the front end myself.

Anyways, topic should be dead. Has nothing to do with phones anymore which has lasted a page. For me, that's about 50 posts.

Today, I played with my Maxfire FPS a little more then sent the developers a few questions regarding future improvements. Hoping I get a positive email back on that.

Also sent the guy who bought my 68 Mustang an email to see how that's coming along. Hoping it's sitting.

Today I farted around at work, cooking goulash tonight for dinner, and that sums up a very non-eventful day. /superbored

Today i worked... We hired two new stockers three days ago.. but one of the old stockers that had good pay and was full time decided to quit for no reason what so ever.

Aside from that event, it has been the typical night for this janitor.

Today i worked... We hired two new stockers three days ago.. but one of the old stockers that had good pay and was full time decided to quit for no reason what so ever.

Aside from that event, it has been the typical night for this janitor.
Couple of my friends worked for Walmart as stockers and from what they have told me over the past years, that's normal.

Today I have...
Arrived at work ~ half an hour ago
Now I'm sitting here checking and responding to emails just like every morning.
Next I need to call Epson about under warranty replacements

Then... I have absolutely nothing to do, unless I get a ticket myself. Cleared my queue out last Friday :tongue:

When I get home I'm going to call EA and finish my refund request and play HoTS.

Today I have...
Arrived at work ~ half an hour ago
Now I'm sitting here checking and responding to emails just like every morning.
Next I need to call Epson about under warranty replacements

Then... I have absolutely nothing to do, unless I get a ticket myself. Cleared my queue out last Friday :tongue:

When I get home I'm going to call EA and finish my refund request and play HoTS.
Simcity?

Yuuuup. Game was a letdown.. I'll buy it when it's on sale :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom