Potentially the longest thread in history...

what do you guys think of 1.1.1.1
Just came across this today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqnvrjgyEMc&t=28s
All but AT&T customers. You need a 3rd party hardware device to change DNS because doing it in Windows doesn't route through the DNS specified, and you can't change DNS in any AT&T gateway. And running a trace appears like I'm resolving from double DNS adding latency when adding Google to my Pro4.

Why are you still a contractor?
(psst... SpaceX McGregor is hiring...)
Because Lockheed uses permanent full time contractors in 90% of their IT services and other areas. In my team LM people hate us because we have better insurance and get paid more. THe downside is do as your told or get walked. The dude I replaced got fired only because he back talked. No, seriously.

And I'd love to move on to SpaceX, that'd make me smile looking at 4 years of Satan (Lockheed) to SpaceX on my resume but I believe we discussed this before and I never finished my degree. My major also wasn't in IT, and you guys heavily use Linux/Unix IIRC. Lockheed is all Windows/Server/Hyper-V. I totally ditched what little I knew in *nix in favor of Windows platform for my current position. I even moved my home virtual cluster to Hyper-V because it's easy to go back and forth that way. If you have a datacenter engineer position or something I could do in relation to that I could take a look, otherwise I feel I'd be wasting my time as they wouldn't want a predominantly Windows sys admin/engineer in a *nix environment.

Does anyone else ever become incredibly depressed on their birthday. Seriously. To the point of misery and a borderline sever hatred of the event.

I have been dreading Saturday come the 28th April and I just don't want it. A celebration of the day I was born and my culmination of 32 years on this planet.

Is it wrong too feel good about your self. Like seriously to a point were it involves serious personal growth. I think I've been depressed that long I don't know what too do about it any more. Its just an existence and getting threw day by day. Nothing too look forward too and no were too go. No one too talk too and nothing too talk about.

Meh ..

Last edited:
Depends on the state - where I live, it's a "right to work" state, meaning an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, excluding the obvious protected reasons (disability, gender, religion, race, etc.). Most places will do like a "work improvement plan" or probation if you get in trouble (depending on the offense of course), but they don't have to.

F**K that lol. I wouldn't even work for a company that could choose to fire me for no reason at all at any point.

If only it were so simple to fire incompetent and stupid people. I don't know how Australia is, but compared to the US, it is WAY harder to fire someone in European countries. There are a lot of laws protecting the employee, powerful unions etc.

I don't really know which side I stand on. Yah I appreciate laws protecting me as a employee, it gives me good job stability knowing they can't just throw me out one day. At the very worst they can make me redundant, but that is typically a 4+ week process giving me time to find something else. On the other hand it makes it tougher for companies to be efficient, profitable and have good growth.. it's especially tough on small companies that sometimes literally cannot afford to go through our rigorous dismissal processes.

Straya has pretty good workplace protection laws. You need a good reason to be fired (incompetent, gross misconduct, etc) otherwise you can sue for unfair dismissal.

It's really not hard to fire someone though, if they're clearly underperforming to a set standard you can fire them without a warning. Best practice is at least 1 written warning, which makes sense IMO. Tell your employee they're stuffing up and how to fix it, makes the worker base more stable and saves the company costs in hiring and training a new employee from scratch. If they fail to change, feel free to fire away.

I don't think I'd be comfortable taking out a house loan if I knew any day at work could be my last for looking the wrong way at the wrong person :/ and I don't know that the banks would be as happy to lend to me either.

The only time you can "fire" an employee who isn't breaking the rules is if the position is being made redundant. Even then you have to give 2-4 weeks notice depending how many years the employee has been working with you, and if you hire someone else for that position within a year you'll be in a ****load of trouble.

F**K that lol. I wouldn't even work for a company that could choose to fire me for no reason at all at any point.

"Right to work" is not bad at all. Sure,you can be fired but there are methods of recourse (labor board, etc) so they won't just walk up and fire folks. If a place of employment is like that then no one should be working for them in the first place. It is mainly a way to let people work without having to belong to a union of some sort.

If it's legal to fire people for no reason, what would the labor board do?

Also random question, anyone have a good solution for an off-site backup of ~4TB? We used to use CrashPlan, which was like $5/mo for unlimited storage, but they're ending their services now. The closest I can find is maybe something like Amazon Glacier, but even at 0.004c/GB we'll be paying $16.40/mo just to store things let alone restore :/ not kew

Just need to backup the boss's 4TB external drive to some place not on prem, ideally with at least 30 days file retention/versioning.

Back
Top Bottom