Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

It looks like that iPhone 5 camera issue from that thread on Annadtech may be a widespread problem after all, it looks like those people on Anandtech were just the first to start talking about it but now quite a few tech sites are covering it too.

The iPhone 5′s Camera Is Faulty, Shows Purple Haze When Light Source Is Just Out Of Frame | TechCrunch

I swear you go out your way to downplay the iPhone 5.

Like I said before, it is not an issue at all. The only time it has occured is in the test photo I did to see if the camera does indeed have the problem. Unless you just so happen to be taking a picture of something fairly dark with a superbright light source perfectly lined up with the very edge of the screen then the camera takes good pics.

Notice how there is like 1 thread where someone reported it. The guy said how to make it happen, and everyone said they can replicate it. If it was an issue in day to day shooting, trust me, MacRumors forums would fill in in about half a second. People filled the whole forum with the iPhone 5 being scuffed out the box, so if there was an issue with everyones camera with normal use, we'd here about it.

If you are actually trying to take a photo and you are getting purple flare, it can be solved by literally aiming about 1degree further away from the light source.

The fact that even after it has been reported, there is still only one small thread on MacRumors to be found, is pretty telling IMO.

Last edited:

Aside from the apple/android b/s.

Today I have noticed something strange... Have a dell workstation sitting here, been getting it setup for my mother to use, it's a heat/power hog, but she rarely uses a PC, sooo it should be fine for her.

I ran CPU-Z to find drivers one day and noticed the CPU speed was... off...
Well... CPU-Z Validator 3.1

On stock air cooling...? o.0?

I swear you go out your way to downplay the iPhone 5.

Like I said before, it is not an issue at all. The only time it has occured is in the test photo I did to see if the camera does indeed have the problem. Unless you just so happen to be taking a picture of something fairly dark with a superbright light source perfectly lined up with the very edge of the screen then the camera takes good pics.

Notice how there is like 1 thread where someone reported it. The guy said how to make it happen, and everyone said they can replicate it. If it was an issue in day to day shooting, trust me, MacRumors forums would fill in in about half a second. People filled the whole forum with the iPhone 5 being scuffed out the box, so if there was an issue with everyones camera with normal use, we'd here about it.

If you are actually trying to take a photo and you are getting purple flare, it can be solved by literally aiming about 1degree further away from the light source.

The fact that even after it has been reported, there is still only one small thread on MacRumors to be found, is pretty telling IMO.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/180c7n48voye9jpg/original.jpg

I don't see how you can say that isn't an issue.

It is, but that is a worst case scenario. It just very rarely happens in day to day shooting. That picture could be resolved by just bringing the entire sun into the shot. All of the cameras have bad lens flare which looks fugly anyway, you'd want to avoid that picture on every shot.

This purple thing only happens when a light source is half way across the edge of the picture to me. No issues if its fully outside or inside.

Every camera/lens has issues and limitations. You just work around them. Granted the IP5 is quite severe when it happens, but it's so rare I've yet to have it happen to me.

In some very very rare cases would I actually want a lens flare in my picture, and I'm a photographer. There's almost never a reason to have lens flare. The way lighting works in any photo is to have the light shining on what you want to take the picture of, not looking at it.

The only time I would want a lens glare in a picture wouldn't even by for the lens glare specifically...it would be taking a picture of a tree with light shining through to give sort of a diffused glow. Do you realize how rare it is anyone really wants to do that?

That being said, I'm not denying it's an issue on the iPhone 5, I'm just saying it's a very small issue for just about anyone that actually wants to take decent looking pictures on the phone. And what would they do if they couldn't take a shot on the iPhone? Probably get a regular camera if they wanted the shot that bad (and most people wouldn't care THAT much about taking that photo). If I had a problem taking any photo on my iPhone, I'd grab my DSLR. Problem solved.

It's a phone first, and this issue would not hinder day to day picture taking more than being a minor annoyance you would run into every now and then. It's not a giant problem.

In some very very rare cases would I actually want a lens flare in my picture, and I'm a photographer. There's almost never a reason to have lens flare. The way lighting works in any photo is to have the light shining on what you want to take the picture of, not looking at it.

The only time I would want a lens glare in a picture wouldn't even by for the lens glare specifically...it would be taking a picture of a tree with light shining through to give sort of a diffused glow. Do you realize how rare it is anyone really wants to do that?

That being said, I'm not denying it's an issue on the iPhone 5, I'm just saying it's a very small issue for just about anyone that actually wants to take decent looking pictures on the phone. And what would they do if they couldn't take a shot on the iPhone? Probably get a regular camera if they wanted the shot that bad (and most people wouldn't care THAT much about taking that photo). If I had a problem taking any photo on my iPhone, I'd grab my DSLR. Problem solved.

It's a phone first, and this issue would not hinder day to day picture taking more than being a minor annoyance you would run into every now and then. It's not a giant problem.

Thank you. And as the only person here with an iPhone 5 I can only say I really have to go out my way to replicate this issue.

Back
Top Bottom