Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Well coming from a Windows only guy, it is super restricted. For instance, I have NO idea how to get any media player to see my shared folders with music :|

I think that's just lack of knowledge more than anything else, to be blunt. I'm not a lot better either. Everyday i'm googling how to do stuff on OS X. I know my way around windows so much better. Even doing things that would take me 30seconds on windows takes me like 10 minutes to figure out on OS X because some of it is just pure weird, but pretty easy once you know.

I would be amazed if you couldn't see shared music folders.

Not lack of knowledge, it shows the PC and it is connected. It simply doesn't show the shared folders. The OS doesn't even see my server.

See, I can ping, but can't connect or see.

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion-2012-09-21-17-14-14.png

Last edited:

That reminds me of a time when I had ubuntu on a test machine, it couldn't see one machine on my network that it NEEDED to see. After weeks of hair pulling trying to figure it out, I found that certain microsoft services somehow stopped the ubuntu machine from accessing it, could ping, but that was all.

I don't understand at all. I've never had a single performance problem on my phone. I launch a game and it plays smooth. I watch youtube videos and they are smooth. I browse the internet and that is smooth. The UI is also smooth, and I never ever exit apps unless something has gone totally wrong. I'd say I go 2 or 3 weeks without closing something with the pop-up manager, yet the phone feels just as fast as when i've fully restarted it.

Maybe you are right and it's not that great. I've no idea because i've never looked at figures. All I can tell you is i've never had any slow down. It's exactly like when I use my desktop PC with 8GB of ram. I never use 8GB of ram, so I never check it.

You also have a 4S, so maybe that's the difference. *shrug* It was essential on the 3GS to keep up with stuff like that, and I keep the habit with the IP4 since it's not AS necessary, but still good to keep up on.

Not lack of knowledge, it shows the PC and it is connected. It simply doesn't show the shared folders. The OS doesn't even see my server.

See, I can ping, but can't connect or see.

Do an nslookup on ppserver, I'm betting it fails; likely can't resolve the name. Connecting via IP would probably work.

If you go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced, you can set Workgroup options for your mac. Make sure it matches the workgroup your PC is in, might have better luck connecting with the name then.

Today I'm heading down to a mates, probably chill there a while, then maybe head into the city for some reddit event that's on.

Last edited:

I tried both IP, name, and external IP. No go.

I will say this, after I made that screenshot and posted it when I maximized the VM again I could see all the PCs on the network in that window. Then after about 5 seconds they all disappeared again. I have my VM network settings to bridge.

well my borderlands 2 came this morning. good delivery by tesco, it was free delivery aswell! ordered it late on thursday.

Back
Top Bottom