Potentially the longest thread in history...

So basically, you're saying that you care more about aesthetics than specs?

NO WAY.

:Gasp:

No, but I do care a lot. I wouldn't for instance pay the same for a rMBP with a Core i3, HD4000 and 500GB HDD. **** that. But as Apple hardware tends to offer high end performance and good aesthetics, they nearly always come out top for me.

Thats all it comes down too really.

Last edited:
Apple's hardware is run of the mill standard with a fancy case brah. The only thing special about your MB is the display.

That being said, I'm looking at grabbing a MBP too. Not one of the latest ones, but one I can get for less than 800.

Apple's hardware is run of the mill standard with a fancy case brah. The only thing special about your MB is the display.

That being said, I'm looking at grabbing a MBP too. Not one of the latest ones, but one I can get for less than 800.

It's still high end. How is i7 ivy bridge and GT650m not high end ? I bet it's faster than 99% of PC's in use today in the western world. And like I keep saying, there are hardly any (if any at all ?) laptops of the same spec which are as thin. They are normally like 1.5inches+ such as the Alienware laptops.

I know there are a lot of high end laptops out there. But it's not the kind of laptop you see everywhere that costs $299 from a high street store by Dell..

And I happen to like that fancy case, thank you very much ;)

Haha Lol. But still, go find an equivalent spec laptop to my rmbp.

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

:Challenge:

No, but I do care a lot. I wouldn't for instance pay the same for a rMBP with a Core i3, HD4000 and 500GB HDD. **** that. But as Apple hardware tends to offer high end performance and good aesthetics, they nearly always come out top for me.

Thats all it comes down too really.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Higher memory buffer on the same GPU (side note: why the heck wouldn't Apple package a dedicated GPU that would help pushing that higher resolution with a higher buffer?), comes with Blu-Ray drive...everything else pretty much exactly the same. Even has a similar keyboard setup, except it has more keys. Mechanical HDD, sure, but there's over a 1k USD difference in price...I think you could afford to get an SSD with the money saved. Only thing that's different is the dimensions (which quite honestly, what does it matter if you can fit it into a manila envelope or not?) and the screen resolution...and having that high of a resolution on a 15" monitor is kinda...pointless.

Going further on what PP said about the Thunderbolt Display, you could afford to get one with the money you saved and break about even if you didn't get an SSD. If you did, you're also getting a 27" monitor with a nice resolution vs a 15" with a pointless resolution.

And if you care about aesthetics of Apple products, you should be fine with the way that ASUS looks considering it references older MBP design with the keyboard area...and overall looks like a nice machine.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also note I used the cheapest rMBP to compare... an additional 600 bucks for 300Mhz on the CPU and an additional 256gb of space on a laptop that already costs 2200? No thanks.

Last edited:
So Apple Maps has been a spectacular fail. Really, it's been the first exceptionally bad Apple product I can think of that's been released post-iPod.

Wrong turn: Apple's buggy iOS 6 maps lead to widespread complaints | The Verge

People are submitting issues with it with this hashtag Twitter

And everyone, I give you the Brooklyn Bridge
A3PASnWCIAA8z3u.jpg

:Challenge:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Higher memory buffer on the same GPU (side note: why the heck wouldn't Apple package a dedicated GPU that would help pushing that higher resolution with a higher buffer?), comes with Blu-Ray drive...everything else pretty much exactly the same. Even has a similar keyboard setup, except it has more keys. Mechanical HDD, sure, but there's over a 1k USD difference in price...I think you could afford to get an SSD with the money saved. Only thing that's different is the dimensions (which quite honestly, what does it matter if you can fit it into a manila envelope or not?) and the screen resolution...and having that high of a resolution on a 15" monitor is kinda...pointless.

Going further on what PP said about the Thunderbolt Display, you could afford to get one with the money you saved and break about even if you didn't get an SSD. If you did, you're also getting a 27" monitor with a nice resolution vs a 15" with a pointless resolution.

And if you care about aesthetics of Apple products, you should be fine with the way that ASUS looks considering it references older MBP design with the keyboard area...and overall looks like a nice machine.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also note I used the cheapest rMBP to compare... an additional 600 bucks for 300Mhz on the CPU and an additional 256gb of space on a laptop that already costs 2200? No thanks.

I don't think it looks as nice at all. All the small details are just.. uglier than apples newest implementation. Off centre trackpad throws the whole level of symmetry off, larger bezel, black lid and black base are a downer. And it looks about twice as thick, which does definitely matter when you travel a lot on public transport like me. Don't get me wrong it's better than most laptops, but I honestly do not think it looks as clear or sharp.

2880x1800 screen makes a huge difference. It looks so sharp. It's awesome for photograph and video editing. Reading text heavy webpages is just nicer all round - the exact same reason everyone prefers high res screens on phones.

The trackpad on MBP's is the best i've tried, too. The keyboard is pretty damn good too. Though to be fair, i've not tried that particular asus model.

I really do think $1000 is worth the thinness, retina screen, design etc. I would say the exact same thing is Asus did a high res, thin version of that laptop for $1000 more. It just makes so much difference too me.

So Apple Maps has been a spectacular fail. Really, it's been the first exceptionally bad Apple product I can think of that's been released post-iPod.

Wrong turn: Apple's buggy iOS 6 maps lead to widespread complaints | The Verge

People are submitting issues with it with this hashtag Twitter

And everyone, I give you the Brooklyn Bridge

Apple Maps is a bit of a funny one. So much of it is bad, but there are good parts too. Read Anandtechs article on it. Anand gets it pretty much right.

I know it's not good, but on the other hand, I can't imagine Google Maps was particularly amazing on day one. Creating a map of the world can't be an easy task. But yeah, they need to spend WAY more money and WAY more time to bring up to a level that would of made it acceptable to replace the Google Maps app.

With iOS 6 released to the public for just over 24 hours now, Apple's new and highly touted Maps application has received a large amount of public criticism over missing features and glitches. Google has already submitted its own iOS Maps app to Apple, but the company has responded via a public statement issued to AllThingsD:
"Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service," said spokeswoman Trudy Miller. "We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."
Later in his piece, AllThingsD writer John Paczkowski says the developer team assigned to the Maps app is "under lockdown" working to fix the app.

Last edited:
Re: Today I have...

Today I messed with maps in IOS 6....
Not bad. Definitely not the train wreck I've been reading about :tongue:
We'll see when I get my phone tomorrow.

Today I messed with maps in IOS 6....
Not bad. Definitely not the train wreck I've been reading about :tongue:
We'll see when I get my phone tomorrow.
Tbf it's not nearly so bad in the US as in other places. For example, no mass transit integration. Which if you're in Tokyo is next to useless.

Or in Australia :p <3 google maps
Can you still download the google maps app for ip5/iOS6 respectively?

Amazing morning so far. There's a giant wall (think the north wall) of clouds approaching the city, it's apparently gonna get wet and very windy shortly :D BUT, the horizon is still just dotted with your usual clouds, so the sunrise was epic. Clouds make it look like a movie sunrise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom