Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Today I enjoyed my birthday by studying. Once these tests are over, I need to install this SSD and clean my comp. If I posted a picture of the levels of dust in my PC, I would cause the entire internet to sneeze at once.
I'm also sick. It turns out my instructor was right; textbooks are an excellent way to fall asleep.

Heh, Xcode is the what made me post about how awesome C# + Visual Studio is because it is the exact opposite. I used 4.2 or whatever the final version for Snow Leopard was and it was simply horrible. I hated the Storyboard GUI too, it wasn't intuitive and all of the dragging you had to do to add handlers to the code for gui elements was just stupid, Visual Studio does a much better job with that. And then there is Objective-C which imo is second worst language I have ever used, the only one worse was Lisp and I'm convinced the sole purpose of that language was to be a sick joke. Plus Xcode was dismally slow, one of my team members was working with our project on a 2010 MBP 13 and it locked the system up for 15 minutes just indexing the project.

You wanna know what's simply horrible to program in? ASM. Or Binary. Lets not get sensationalist lol

What's so hard about the Storyboard? Easy to add a new view controller, especially if it's one of the predefined controllers. Drag to connect view controllers in the order you want them connected in, decide how you want to segue between views, and set that out of a drop-list. Choose colour/label/button/text/scroll/slide/etcetcetc and chuck them in and resize to your liking, use the tick-boxes/drop-lists to change fonts/colours/alignment/pretext/labels/etc and your code is automatically updated, no typing errors guaranteed, in a fraction of the time it'd take you to manually code the same thing.

Seems fairly straightforward; I can do it without the GUI too, but I know how much longer it'd take.
Cocoa and its base Obj-C both still suck, yes, but Xcode itself I'm damn well impressed with. ESPECIALLY considering what is was in 3.2.6 *shudders*

Last edited:

Yup, it sure is. I'd stuck with Java for stuff like that since I had been using it for ages and just used C# for trivial things but in hindsight that was a big mistake. It's impressive how intuitive everything is, so far everything works exactly how I would want it too.

I'm going to have to give Metro App development a try at some point based off of this.
Yeah, VS and C# are pretty easy to pickup. All you have to do is type "." and then something related to what you want to do. Convert to a string? Type in string after the dot, and ".ToString()" pops up as a suggestion. I love intellitype :D.

You wanna know what's simply horrible to program in? ASM. Or Binary. Lets not get sensationalist lol

Assembly isn't too bad... it's a PITA to remember what registers are for what. I still wouldn't want to program much more than simple things in it though either lol.

Oh know, looks like your XFX 5770 took a dump on you. That is what all 4 of mine did to me. None of the RMAs I had from them fixed it.

I've been running this card with no issues for over 2 1/2 years straight, the last few months this has happened to me twice. The colored artifacts are a bit more common, it's rare for everything else to freak out like that. I think there's something wrong with one of the fans in my case, not to mention it needs a good cleaning. Speedfan says "Fan1" is running at 15RPM, and my card's idle temp as been floating around 55C.

I've been running this card with no issues for over 2 1/2 years straight, the last few months this has happened to me twice. The colored artifacts are a bit more common, it's rare for everything else to freak out like that. I think there's something wrong with one of the fans in my case, not to mention it needs a good cleaning. Speedfan says "Fan1" is running at 15RPM, and my card's idle temp as been floating around 55C.
If you have rev2 boards they are prone to do that. I had 2 sets of RMA cards which were all rev2 that did that straight out of the box. It isn't a temp thing, just a bad board.

Today I played with a Dell workstation, has a P4 3.8Ghz EE and 4GB of DDR2 ECC ram, nothing special, other than it would serve better as a flipping space heater compared to AMD of that era.

Gonna give this tower to my mother since she is using an old dated laptop, wish I could find some cheap components to make her something a bit less power hungry and hot running.

If you have rev2 boards they are prone to do that. I had 2 sets of RMA cards which were all rev2 that did that straight out of the box. It isn't a temp thing, just a bad board.

Interesting. I dunno if I have rev2 or not, I'll have to try and find out.

Back
Top Bottom