Potentially the longest thread in history...

So, the missus and I are discussing me either getting a pilots license, or getting into racing. I have a single flight hour already (LOL), and could be something to pursue. I just see racing more fun as I've always been a car person. My dads dream was to fly, mine is to race. Probably too late for me though.

Racing is something you can get into whenever you want provided you have the cash to do it. I've been wanting to get into AutoX and track racing but don't have the car for either at the moment. There are quite a few local AutoX events but it's a several hour drive to the nearest tracks.

Miata's seem to be the go to track car for most people but I'd personalty go for a S2k or even a MR2 Turbo assuming you can find a good one and don't mind putting some work into it.

racing is something you can get into whenever you want provided you have the cash to do it. I've been wanting to get into AutoX and track racing but don't have the car for either at the moment. There are quite a few local AutoX events but it's a several hour drive to the nearest tracks.

Miata's seem to be the go to track car for most people but I'd personalty go for a S2k or even a MR2 Turbo assuming you can find a good one and don't mind putting some work into it.
I've been trying to get a classic Mustang back because I want to start in the stock class of the Trans-Am. But yea, money is a huge problem in any event like that. I could probably go down to the local drag strip and show people what real reaction times are though :p

Ok so he is in what my local track considers stock mod. Street mod and pro mod is basically stripping your whole vehicle, roll cage, drag race style instrument panel, in car fire brigade, and the biggest damn blower you can handle with sometimes NOS. There are so many classes before what I consider "pro" though. I've sat behind the wheel of a rail car, but I'd never race one of those crazy funny cars.

He's not stock at all. The S10 is stripped out. Roll cage put in, racing bucket seat, instrument panels, headlights removed, firewall modified, etc. etc. Street mod sounds about right (I think they call it that at the track he goes to, can't remember for sure, been quite a while since I've been up there with him).

It was a stock-modified S10 (still street legal) when he bought it, but he modified it himself even further to make it drag-only.

Ah ok, yea that's pro mod depending on the track. Street mod is street legal modified drag racer.

In other news, the 660ti is BEAST for its price range. When the newness wears off and the prices start dropping this is gonna be the card to get for people who don't want to spend 400.

Re: Today I have...

The massive issue of Metro aside pushing for an upgrade at this point pretty much says those guys don't have the slightest clue what they are doing. Windows 8 RTM just went public yesterday so there is no way they could have done any meaningful amount of testing in such a short time.

Edit: I just upgraded the ram in my laptop and it reminded my why I am a ThinkPad fanboy. The entire process literally took well under two minutes. Two simple latches release the battery and then two standard Phillips head screws remove the panel covering the ram. When I installed the SSD it was equally easy, a single screw releases the hard drive caddy and then it is a simple matter of popping out the old drive and sticking in the new one.

I wish all laptop manufacturers made their system so easy to work on.

Most actual race tracks do have "public" days where you can go, pay a nice fee, and race on actual tracks, provided your car is capable and meets safety requirements.

Most actual race tracks do have "public" days where you can go, pay a nice fee, and race on actual tracks, provided your car is capable and meets safety requirements.

Yup. Even the drag track my dad goes to race on has this. You can pay a fee, and take your car on the strip to see what it does. I've seen dually-dodge pickups, snowmobiles (with a slick tread rather than a snow tread and wheels instead of skis), regular street cars, and even semis go on the strip lol.

Yup. Even the drag track my dad goes to race on has this. You can pay a fee, and take your car on the strip to see what it does. I've seen dually-dodge pickups, snowmobiles (with a slick tread rather than a snow tread and wheels instead of skis), regular street cars, and even semis go on the strip lol.
I think all drag strips allow this. Thursdays are test and tune for the track I like to go visit. Problem for me is there are no actual tracks here in Texas. Only dirt, circle, and drag.

Back
Top Bottom