Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Android 4.1 Jelly bean looks incredible, VSync and triple buffering for the UI, a massively improved voice search that even puts Siri to shame, interactive notifications, and Google Now which has a lot of cool functionality.

I'm kind of tempted to just buy a Galaxy Nexus rather than a S3 so i can get this.

So finally Android UI may feel as responsive and smooth as iOS. Hallelujah. As for the voice thing, in what way is it better ?

My Incredible has always felt pretty responsive when I got of of HTC's Sense ROMs; even more-so now that I've put CM9 (ICS 4.0.4) on it with a hardware-accelerated kernel on it.

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Petrol 2002

I told them to go ahead with it anyway, they charged £173. I need it fixing so don't have a lot of choice. At least they are close by if the repair hasn't worked, only 1 minutes drive away.

So finally Android UI may feel as responsive and smooth as iOS. Hallelujah. As for the voice thing, in what way is it better ?

iOS 6 Siri - YouTube

Don't get too excited. People rarely use Siri, and people will rarely use the android equivalent. You just feel weird doing it, and it's only accurate about 95% of the time. That sounds pretty high, but it's not, if one in 20 words I say I have to edit using the keyboard it gets pretty frustrating. Though as usual it works better with US voices so ymmv.

Thats the beta version of Siri for iOS6 which lands in a few months. It does have much better support for functions this side of the pond now, so I will see how it goes at a later date. I don't want an early beta of iOS6 on my phone. Maybe version 4 in a month or two...

I don't think there are any good videos of it up yet since the live stream is still ongoing but they said the voice was far more human sounding than Siri and apparently it can also speak an answer to you rather than just display it. I missed that potion of the live stream so I can't be more specific until I can re watch it.

Judging by what they have said about Butter I wouldn't be surprised if Android is actually smoother than iOS now.

My Incredible has always felt pretty responsive when I got of of HTC's Sense ROMs; even more-so now that I've put CM9 (ICS 4.0.4) on it with a hardware-accelerated kernel on it.

My Galaxy S2 is perfectly smooth on ICS as well but better performance isn't something I am going to complain about.

It would be almost impossible to be smoother than iOS because it there is zero jerkiness anywhere at all on my 4S. Unless you are counting third party app loading times.

Siri does sound pretty robotic, but she does talk back to you.

I hope androids voice has some humor like Siri though :p

AwavXbVCEAAPZIA.jpg

AwavbM1CEAA7Qvk.jpg

Kmanmx; Honestly, the "bounce" tests are stupid. I have seen springs crack right at the end, in such a way the car seems to perform normal, but it causes the mount bearing to get ate alive, and destroy the mount, it also introduces noises. Other than that, the care "feels" normal when doing them stupid bounce tests. Never rely on a test such as that.

I will say this, me, PP, and that shop all came to similar conclusions, suspension related. Here in the states, suspension shops tend to know what they are doing as what they are doing is one of the more critical aspects of literally keeping a car on the road and not cause accidents.

Well hopefully they are not lying to me then. I just hope it fixes it considering what they charged me.

It would be almost impossible to be smoother than iOS because it there is zero jerkiness anywhere at all on my 4S. Unless you are counting third party app loading times.

Siri does sound pretty robotic, but she does talk back to you.

While Siri can talk back to you if I asked it "How many feet in a mile" wouldn't it display the result as text rather than actually tell it to you? From Apple's commercials it doesn't seem very interactive at all.

I just tried, it did the following.

Me: "How many feet in a mile ?"
She speaks back: Let me check that for you
Wait a second or two..
She speaks again: This might answer your question
*Wolfram Alpha Page with everything there is to know about feet in miles*

I don't know if thats changed in iOS6 though. If not, i'd guess it is purely a design decision on Apples behalf. Technically, I can't imagine it's all that hard to implement at all.

I don't care in normal operation if she says it to me or displays it to me, but I can see a verbal response being useful when driving.

Android hasn't really had any HWA devices for phones up until fairly recently. Dev's made my Incredible HWA-enabled, and now its smoother than it ever was, even on CM7.1 when I had almost 200MB RAM free of my 512MB.

I'm wondering how the new iPhone is going to hold up. I would like to try an android device, but it would be too much of a hassle to switch to a different OS and have to re-download my paid apps all over again, if they even have all of them on Android. Not to mention I'm grandfather-claused in to the unlimited iPhone data with AT&T, switching means having a cap.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind trying a Note...or the Note 2? Looks like that's in the works. I've pretty much decided if I'm doing anything Android related, I'll be picking up a tablet instead.

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Petrol 2002

I told them to go ahead with it anyway, they charged £173. I need it fixing so don't have a lot of choice. At least they are close by if the repair hasn't worked, only 1 minutes drive away.

iOS 6 Siri - YouTube

Don't get too excited. People rarely use Siri, and people will rarely use the android equivalent. You just feel weird doing it, and it's only accurate about 95% of the time. That sounds pretty high, but it's not, if one in 20 words I say I have to edit using the keyboard it gets pretty frustrating. Though as usual it works better with US voices so ymmv.

Thats the beta version of Siri for iOS6 which lands in a few months. It does have much better support for functions this side of the pond now, so I will see how it goes at a later date. I don't want an early beta of iOS6 on my phone. Maybe version 4 in a month or two...

It indeed exists.
VW POLO 1.4 FSI Petrol 2002-2006 Suspension Strut Support Bearing Front

If it is the top mount like system like my Mustang then it can break pretty easy too.

Back
Top Bottom