Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Good analogy, Remixed :sweat:

+1.

thanks....

and today I have found this house...

2012-06-12%2016.20.08.jpg

Today I lost a full 500GB drive full of things that can never be replaced due to a firmware bug. I knew the 7200.11's from Seagate had issues, my drive when I checked many years ago wasn't on the list of drives with new firmware, so I felt safe. Today it refuses to do anything aside from spin up. I found out Seagate was fixing bricked drives for free due to this, but they want to charge me $300, while still under warranty... So **** seagate, they are NEVER going to be recommended from me again, and I will make sure if I see a post recommending seagate drives that it has a recommendation for other brands.

Today I lost a full 500GB drive full of things that can never be replaced due to a firmware bug. I knew the 7200.11's from Seagate had issues, my drive when I checked many years ago wasn't on the list of drives with new firmware, so I felt safe. Today it refuses to do anything aside from spin up. I found out Seagate was fixing bricked drives for free due to this, but they want to charge me $300, while still under warranty... So **** seagate, they are NEVER going to be recommended from me again, and I will make sure if I see a post recommending seagate drives that it has a recommendation for other brands.

Try contacting SeaGate again, and get a different person. Some people refuse to help consumers with their products. Sometimes you can get lucky and get the good rep that will bend over backwards for you if you're very nice to them. I had to send my SeaGate drive in due to the firmware bug, and they did it for free. I just had to pay for shipping there; they even backed up all of my data for a month on their end in case the drive started acting up again. IMO, that's good customer service.

Something similar happened with Intel. I was troubleshooting problems with my desktop last year (random BSOD's), and had pretty much replaced everything except the CPU and 1 HDD at some point. Decided to try and RMA the CPU, even though it was about 3-4 months out of warranty. I got on Intel chat, and was very nice to the person I was dealing with; I explained my situation, and told him that I hadn't had any problems up until then; he talked to his supervisor, and was obviously on my side, because he allowed me to send it in (just paying shipping on my end to them), and they would send a new CPU to me. Turns out the issue was my sound card going bad (never thought to remove it for some reason...lol), but the point is, it was damn good customer service.

If my experience was better I would recommend them, this is my first personal issue with a seagate drive failing. But the fact that they can't keep support and warranty issues uniform makes me grrrr. Surprised by the fact my drive has 1 more full year on warranty left o.0

Boycotting a company because one single drive failed on you for the first time and the employee you happened to get in contact with about it was an idiot? Not very logical is what I mean!

Back
Top Bottom