Potentially the longest thread in history...

Anyone who argues that really needs to grow up. It's one thing to have a high set of moral values, be politically correct, etc, but this is the real world. **** doesn't work like that. Is it worth it if the pills costs Æ’100,000 and only extend life by several days? Æ’500,000 and extend by several hours? The question is not "is there a line" but "WHERE is the line".

If people could draw that line, national healthcare would be a near flawless idea. As for the US, people are too damn greedy, and take whatever **** the media gives them. Next opportunity I have to get out of here, I'm leaving.

Anyone who argues that really needs to grow up. It's one thing to have a high set of moral values, be politically correct, etc, but this is the real world. **** doesn't work like that. Is it worth it if the pills costs Æ’100,000 and only extend life by several days? Æ’500,000 and extend by several hours? The question is not "is there a line" but "WHERE is the line".

Obviously.. no one is saying that. But 30K for a few months is a much more realistic scenario, and one that the NHS do not think is worth it.

If people could draw that line, national healthcare would be a near flawless idea. As for the US, people are too damn greedy, and take whatever **** the media gives them. Next opportunity I have to get out of here, I'm leaving.

If you want a change British people are the polar opposite of most people in the US. We are more reserved, pessimistic, and generally we only find our own sense of humor funny.

Dunno. I'd pay 30k to live 3 or 4 months at this age. Probably wouldn't think the same if I were older.

RandomQ: Does anyone here use Wi-Fi on their main rigs ? I always thought it wasn't great for online gaming.. but times have changed and wireless is better now, so i'm not so sure.

Lol but you're forgetting there'd be a reason why you needed those pills. You'd be terminally ill, in probable constant pain with no energy; doesn't really matter how old/young you are if that happens.
I don't think I'd pay Æ’30k to get my life extended by a few months if I knew that's all I could look forward to

Lol but you're forgetting there'd be a reason why you needed those pills. You'd be terminally ill, in probable constant pain with no energy; doesn't really matter how old/young you are if that happens.
I don't think I'd pay Æ’30k to get my life extended by a few months if I knew that's all I could look forward to
Problem is, after you're gone your family has to pick up on that bill.

Problem is, after you're gone your family has to pick up on that bill.

Not here :p

edit:

Just phoned up amazon support... was not looking forward to explaining the situation (it's complicated) but then an american woman picked up with the most stereotypical american accent ever which made the whole conversation funny for me :p

The only thing i'm thinking is, doesn't the US make a lot of money off private healthcare ? you would go from makeing a lot to loosing a lot. The NHS Budget for 2011/12 was $162Bn. You have 6x as many people, and you have more people in hospital from everyone shooting each other. It would cost you like $1Trillion a year.

You guys are getting good deal if you only pay that for the entire NHS system, the U.S. spent $523 billion on Medicare in 2010 and it only provides care for a small (but expensive) segment of the population.

Finally, someone who agrees with me. It seems like everyone is so quick to say that universal healthcare is for commies, and that it would never work. It WOULD work, if A: The government could properly implement it B: People would open their minds JUST a bit. As for the veterans health care, it ain't so good up here. Our local VA is FINALLY going under some renovations. Then again, everything in our state is ****ed, thanks to none other than Tom Corbett.

The problem that every discussion about healthcare seems to pass over is how would government healthcare make things better for the large percentage of Americans who do have insurance now. Granted it might be cheaper but if quality didn't improve that wouldn't mean anything.

IMO we need to work on cost savings rather than replacing the entire system. What we have now would be perfectly fine if more people could afford insurance coverage.

I looked at a few reports and surveys and our NHS actually comes out pretty well compared to other rich countries. Switzerland being the only one to pretty much consistently out perform our NHS, but then their GDP Per capita is practically twice the UK's, so it should be better.

Back
Top Bottom