Potentially the longest thread in history...

Rant about HNNNNNNGGGGG....:

You forgot to add your iPad 2, racing setup + chair.

I was job hunting for 3 months before I found this position. During that time I went to centrelink (our govt welfare group) and applied for job seeking allowance. To get that money you have to attend a group thing every day and learn/discuss/practice different things like interviews, writing CVs, and you had to apply for at least 3 jobs a day. Not sure what you have to do to get that £52 a week. All the money from that went to my parents, if I wanted to earn any money I'd work for my dad as a manual labourer for $10 an hour.

During those 3 months you can be *damn* sure I didn't buy any new tech and didn't go out with my mates to pubs or anything. My day consisted of going to this group class for most of the day, coming home and cleaning anything that needed to be cleaned (dishes, clear table, wipe down benches, etc) because my dad didn't feel that I was contributing enough, then maybe playing some CSCZ in my room on my 1.5 year old rig.

You not being able to indulge your tech lust is *not* a reason to get other people to pay so you can. You're not entitled to the latest and greatest. The welfare system does not exist so that you can keep your pretty toys to keep yourself entertained. You've been searching for a job for 5 months, yet you made a huge number of extravagant purchases (even if it was a buy then sell thing for *most* things), and played that off by saying "oh well I can always get more money by hitting welfare up for it and it's ok because everyone needs the newest stuff".

You do not have to "sell everything you own", stop being a drama queen. However, you DO have to stop making luxury purchases when you clearly can't afford it and palming the costs off onto the taxpayers around you.

Rant about HNNNNNNGGGGG....:

You forgot to add your iPad 2, racing setup + chair.

I was job hunting for 3 months before I found this position. During that time I went to centrelink (our govt welfare group) and applied for job seeking allowance. To get that money you have to attend a group thing every day and learn/discuss/practice different things like interviews, writing CVs, and you had to apply for at least 3 jobs a day. Not sure what you have to do to get that £52 a week. All the money from that went to my parents, if I wanted to earn any money I'd work for my dad as a manual labourer for $10 an hour.

During those 3 months you can be *damn* sure I didn't buy any new tech and didn't go out with my mates to pubs or anything. My day consisted of going to this group class for most of the day, coming home and cleaning anything that needed to be cleaned (dishes, clear table, wipe down benches, etc) because my dad didn't feel that I was contributing enough, then maybe playing some CSCZ in my room on my 1.5 year old rig.

You not being able to indulge your tech lust is *not* a reason to get other people to pay so you can. You're not entitled to the latest and greatest. The welfare system does not exist so that you can keep your pretty toys to keep yourself entertained. You've been searching for a job for 5 months, yet you made a huge number of extravagant purchases (even if it was a buy then sell thing for *most* things), and played that off by saying "oh well I can always get more money by hitting welfare up for it and it's ok because everyone needs the newest stuff".

You do not have to "sell everything you own", stop being a drama queen. However, you DO have to stop making luxury purchases when you clearly can't afford it and palming the costs off onto the taxpayers around you.

Two things.

Again, I Do. Not. Want. To. Go. On. It - If you want to moan to my parents about it just ask and i'll give you their email adress no problem.
Secondly. I'm not even on it yet. I may not even go on it.

All the money I have spent is my money. Funnily enough, as I was in education at the time, I did not assume I was going to be needing JSA in 5 months time. And what the heck, iPad 2 and Playseat thingy are like over a year ago. You want me to list off my life expenses to you so you can moan how I should of assumed unemployment years in advanced ?

Paying rent at your age is probably something you should have expected. Not getting a job straight out of ed is also something you probably should have expected, especially given the current times. Or did you think all the stories of how hard finding a job is (including your own dad's story I might add) would just magically not be a problem for you?
Thusly it follows that keeping your bank balance at £0 buy buying up everything you wanted was definitely not a good idea.
Savvy?

I was going to be in University for 4 years living off student loan. That didn't happen, I quit after 2 months because it was **** and taught me sweet **** all. So I suddenly went from £350 a month to live off to £0. So no, I couldn't of really predicted that.

GTX 680: £400
Saitek X52 Pro: £100
iPad 3: £400
Printer: £70
PSV: £350
Torch: £120
IP4S (Forgot this one !): £500

Total: - £1940

Those are my significant purchases for as long as I can remember, at least 8+ months, apart from my 560Ti - but my 470 was broke so I had not a lot of choice, hence i'm ignoring that one.

Tech stuff i've sold and for what price:

Camcorder: £110
GoPro HD Hero 2: £250
PSV: £250
iPad 3: £400
560Ti: £110
IP4: £300

Total: + £1420

So I have lost out £520 from my extravagant purchases in 8 months. Admittedly dismissing general stuff like games, software. Hardly mr big spender.

You spent all your money because you thought you'd be going into uni where they'd loan you more money? Still not a great plan
What happened to that plan though if I may ask?

The uni plan, and WOW you actually put yourself into this situation by dropping out of uni too?! This gets better and better lol

As for your costs, lol you still haven't got it yet. "I won't count my 560Ti because I neeeeeded it!", well no actually, no you didn't. Also you happily put that in the "stuff I sold" list, but doesn't get to make the "stuff I bought" list? You can count the cost of that one too. That + games + drink nights that you've undoubtedly had at least a couple of during that time, lets just say a conservative £600 (probably closer to 800-850 especially if we also factor in your phone bills). That's not an amount of money to laugh away, especially when you have no job and no idea how the future's going to go. Actually heck, you did know the future was gonna be tight, I remember you posting to that end a lot a couple/few months back.

You didn't think the Uni one through. Total cost for staying on for 4 years, about £26k. Total cost for me, about £2k. I saved myself £24k. You know what they made me do for 8 weeks ? design postcards in Photoshop. You think i'm going to pay for that?

You are being pedantic about the 560Ti. Technically I did not need it. Technically I do not need anything but food and water, the way you classify need is open to massive interpretation. I mean need asin, I would have no PC, which means making the considerable investment in the rest of my PC pointless, not to mention making my life difficult for doing coursework and that crap while I was still doing it.

Maybe you and PP should be financial advisers or something, you're clearly very proficient in the field. Or perhaps you arn't, lets play a game of everyone shows the past 5 years worth of bank statements. I bet I come out near the top.

I also think we should do a survey of what students spend there money on. Compare me to the average student. I can tell you without doing any survey, that i'm better than most. Even my sister is stupid smart yet is in £2000 of her overdraft.

edit:

Lol i'm getting so off topic. My point is, y'all make me out to be some crazy guy who spends tens of thousands of pounds stolen from the government. Can we shine some perspective on this situation please.

Situation is no longer tight either. Dad gets to keep his job for the foreseeable future. In fact I think maybe I get this spending gene off him, he just spent £2K on Fly Fishing equipment on the news that his job is okay for now :D BLAME MY DAD !

And now you are going to ask why they need my £52. Good question. I asked the same thing. This is why I have a strong dis-likening for my dad.

When I was 14 I did some work for my dad (ripping up 2600 bricks, stacking a trolley with em, loading them into a trailer, unpacking them at the other end) and got $500 for it. That all went into my first ever bank account. After I finished college (when I was 17) it all came out to pay rent, as I was no longer receiving student benefits to pay for it. Before it ran out I had applied for and started my centrelink experience. After I got my first pay from my job, it never went below $500 again. A year later it never went below $2000 again. A year after that, never below $5000.

I pay the rent asked of me by my parents on time every week, I pay for my own healthcare, I pay for my own clothes, I contribute towards the house bills every month on top of rent. If all goes well this year, I'll buy my own house. I'd say I can manage my money well enough.

You have no money, no job, no education beyond school, parents who now expect rent from you, aaand a top-of-the-line PC and phone and camera. Spot the discrepancy!
End of the day it's your choice I guess. Lol, buy whatever you want. I'm sure you'll find some way to justify "needing" it. I need to stop, getting bruises from facepalming too many times.

edit: I'm not saying you're stealing from the gubment, I'm saying you're spending money where you shouldn't be. Get the important things in life sorted first, then indulge your hobbies. Good to hear about your Dad's situation improving.

Back
Top Bottom