Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

They are all wrong. With so little Drs know about cancer it is impossible for all their claims to be right besides the ones they have a huge test field in like smoking. You have to be public sheep to think that everything they claim causes cancer. I mean, just look at the cell phone and brain cancer crap. It's total BS. It is my personal opinion that if they knew so much to make plausible claims on the matter then they would know how to fix the **** without such a huge death rate. So therefor, I think they are just spitting out claims because it isn't like anybody else can prove them wrong. If and when they do (if), they are just like oh GG like they did with the cell phones.

I think you're getting confused between the media reporting of the links, and what the scientists are actually saying. The vast majority of these links between substance X and cancer are simply the scientists doing a study, such as:
1,000 people tested
500 use substance X
500 don't

(severely simplified)
And there happens to be a larger percentage of people using the substance who go on to develop cancer. Now, it's not the scientists saying that 'substance X causes cancer'; that's the media dumbing it down, or as they frequently do, just reporting it wrong/not doing research.
The scientists are only saying is that 'people who use substance X might be more likely to develop cancer than those who don't, based on this particular study.'
Now there are annoying cases where there's a bias (i.e. they're paid or it's just bad science), but the vast majority of the 'Everything causes cancer!' is due to the media. You might've noticed it all the time as well with 'cures' for cancer - every time there's a tiny step forward in cancer research it gets headlined as 'Cure for cancer closer than ever!'.

I prefer 16:10/9 for video watching too. But I like the iPad for web browsing in portrait more so than my dads prime. Holding a widescreen display in portrait just feels a little odd.

I'm not too sure what you mean about multitasking. It's not perfect, but it's not that bad. Just tap the home button twice, then tap the app you want, job done.

Top 5 Reasons Why Android Tablets are Better than the iPad

Points 2 and 3 in that article are a good example of why I think Android is better on tablets. I also think that the iPad home screen is completely useless, a grid of a handful of icons with tons of space between them isn't useful. In contrast I can make the home screens on an Android tablet into whatever I need.

I like using widescreen displays in portrait for reading since you can fit a ton of text on a single page. I know several people who have desktop widescreen monitors that they use in portrait mode for reading documents and coding.

If you don't pay attention to the mass media (admittedly I don't either, I gave up on it about five or six years ago), where have you heard these stories? Word of mouth?

Woke up and just checked my usual sites. BT have finally announced my Broadband Exchange as on the list for there Infinity FTTC rollout list!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting years but they have done it finally, so 80Mbit/s broadband is coming my way within a year or two :D

Two potential problems with that. My broadband exchange is in a suburban area, but it also connects to my village which is attached to the suburbs by 1km of road with no housing or buildings on. This means they would hape to lay a 1km long cable to my village of 10K people before they can even start connecting us up. That is expensive, and would not surprise me at all if they exclude my village from the upgrade.

Secondly we are most likely moving house within the next year, so even if it does get here, I will be long gone.

Sucks alot, just my luck :(

People talk about it all the time. When I used to live at my parents house I could hear the news on the TV as well when they would talk about recent "findings". There are a bunch of media *****s on my Facebook friends list too so I happen to see random BS while scrolling down.

I can't go a month with out hearing yet "another cause for cancer" bs over here. Either from someone, or from the TV when I do turn it on, which is becoming rare.

At least I smoke pipe tobacco. -.-

i was going to make a joke to lighten the mood of terrible, and it was a good joke, IMO, but decided not to in case it was something really terrible :(

Back
Top Bottom