Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

They have a complete ban on smoking indoors in public buildings here and it's really nice, it always seems strange when I am traveling and stop at a restaurant that has a smoking section.

Surprised the Retina display is not more.
Also, such a little amount on the camera. I can only guess the 4S's camera is about $15 to $20 then. I'd like a phone where they spent $50 or $60 on it..

Man I hate Blizzards download system. I finally got into the Diablo 3 beta. I'm not even that excited about it, and my friend is super ****ed because he's wanted in for ages. But figured i'd give it a go, but as usual the lowsy download manager won't even give me half my normal speed.

I called my local curries megastore and they said they received two lorries full, about 2000. As of this afternoon they have sold about 3/4 of them.

I don't really know what you mean about bad upgrade over the iPad 2 though ? There's hardly anything else for them to add on. It's got a massive update to the retina display, it's got a far superior camera, twice the ram, and a much upgraded A5 processor now with quad core GPU, 4G LTE radio chip and a battery almost twice as large. The only thing left for them to update this iteration is the front camera and the body.

edit:

So I just went and took a look at one. The thing was setup like crap. It was on a 3 foot high table and bolted totally down. I'm 6ft 3.. so judging the screen was kind of hard from that distance away - but it did look nice from what I could tell. Text heavy web pages were a treat - though from that distance the difference wasn't huge compared to the iPad 2 next too it. I bent down closer to it quickly to a normal distance and it was more obvious, though I didn't stay there for more than a few seconds as I looked like a fool.

You couldn't rotate it horizontally either, so watching 1080P videos on youtube was kind of pointless because it was in portrait mode and had a 3" black bar above and below it. They had none of the new retina enabled apps either.

So all in all whoever sets the Apple counter up at my local currys megastore should be fired.

The processor is exactly the same, only the gpu was upgraded. Also having twice as large of a battery is a bad thing when the actual battery life stays the same.

Anyone else notice how terrible performance/mm^2 is on A5X? it's larger than a Sandy Bridge dual core but only has a tiny fraction of the performance. That could be a real issue for ARM once Intel gets more of a presence in the mobile market.

Of course performance per MM^2 is going to suck, it's a mobile processor. A5X has 4 gpu cores and 2 cpu cores. Sandy Bridge duel core has half that, and does not have to worry about running on a few watts, or heat dissipation to the same extent.

A battery twice as big is a bad thing, what ?.. so you think the new iPad would of been better if they kept the same old iPad battery and it just had half the battery life ?

Just for the record, people are saying the speaker is much much better than the old one too, which is good, as any improvement to tablet speakers is a good thing considering they all suck.

Yup, Lexington. I imagine it's awful for people who do smoke some but as someone who is very sensitive to smoke in confined areas it made going out to eat much more pleasant.

Of course performance per MM^2 is going to suck, it's a mobile processor. A5X has 4 gpu cores and 2 cpu cores. Sandy Bridge duel core has half that, and does not have to worry about running on a few watts, or heat dissipation to the same extent.

A battery twice as big is a bad thing, what ?.. so you think the new iPad would of been better if they kept the same old iPad battery and it just had half the battery life ?

Sandy Bridge cpu cores are vastly more complicated than Cortex A9 ones and it does have 12 gpu cores vs 4 on the iPad.

I think it would have been a feature worth mentioning if the new iPad had twice the battery life of the iPad 2. No one cares if the battery is larger but the battery life stayed the same.

Still doesn't negate the fact that Dr's are trying to point everything towards forming some kind of cancer. It's just getting out of hand.

Are you saying they're wrong Dr Mguire? Or are you saying they're right, but all these facts are "getting out of hand"?

Today I got to work 30 mins early to start a slightly more intensive than usual server upgrade. Already hit a snag, ubuntu doesn't want to see the SSD I installed T_T

People care about battery life not physical battery size; if you told someone the new iPad has 70% more battery, they'd assume you mean it can run for 17 hours instead of 10, not that they get the same time as the older device. This is what I mean when I talk about Apple's "interesting practices", confusing to the consumer. It's like one of the headlines on the iPad, but it's meaningless in terms of what they'll be thinking.

Back
Top Bottom