Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I worked at the one here, awhile back you didn't get jack, but now you get the advertised speed, they finally understood it was bad to put 200 people on a single feed -.-

Yea, not here. I pay for 5Mb and it's obvious I never get that. I get constant speed drops while trying to do anything whether it be download, browse, Youtube, or game. Peak hours....might as well take a nap.

I've noticed that I get put down from 30Mb to ~8Mb whenever I download more than (seemingly) 25GB in a day. Seems to reset around 1am :)

Edit: Lol, just checked and I've downloaded 22GB in the past seven hours.

I've noticed that I get put down from 30Mb to ~8Mb whenever I download more than (seemingly) 25GB in a day. Seems to reset around 1am :)

Edit: Lol, just checked and I've downloaded 22GB in the past seven hours.

I download approximately 200 gigs a week. Beat that.

(If I ever switch ISP's, they better not have a cap, I will be living in a box..)

I download... approximately the same, at a rough guess :p Ranges wildly depending on how time I have spare.

PP, I think the issue down there is they probably run too many super large towers and have too many customers on their rented frequency... Here there are 8 towers that cover small areas, but gives complete coverage, each tower uses a slightly different frequency for each home that is pointed to the tower, so in the end, there is less interference, everyone gets a good steady connection to the company HQ, and they finally have good fiber feeds, each feed has 4 houses on it tops.

This particular ISP uses the 2.4ghz range and has less than 50 subscribers in this area. They use the same towers are the other ISP (they use 5ghz).

Ours uses a mix of 2.4 and 5, but they have the frequencies on different channels for each home to ensure that everyone can talk at one time. If you have 50 people all talking on 2.4Ghz (2400mhz, not 2490 or some odd freq in that range) then only one persons packet will be recieved and processed, everyone has to then send again. That is why its bad to use large towers for large areas, with only one real frequency. This is what is causing a headache with cellphones, they use huge big towers that cover huge areas, and are maxing the connections (all available frequencies) out in them areas. Smaller towers will allow for finer control, and fewer people on that tower with the same freq. But companies don't like spending money, and it's going to bite them in the ass here very soon.

Back
Top Bottom