Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Yeah, that's why im a bit more relaxed because i have a whole year to redo everything, i have never picked up a book to revise from for gcse as i found it really easy, i think this will have to change at a level :)

What did you take for A level? And what do you consider a 'screw up'?

I found GCSE fairly easy too, got 4 A's an A* and 4 B's without revising once. But A levels are so different I just never had the attitude to do well. I was so used to having to do nothing at GCSE that by the time I was doing A levels it came as a huge shock, never did get a good enough attitude to go home and revise. Though I openly admit that, it's just one of my faults that I suck at studying.

At the start I chose to do Physics, Maths, Geography and Computing. These were just because they were the subjects I found easiest at GCSE. Within 8 weeks it was very apparent Physics was just never going to happen, the first mock exam we needed 40 out of about 90 for the lowest pass grade, I got about 25 marks. It was the first year and I wasn't allowed to drop it, so I just continued going to lessons to keep people happy. At the end of the year all 4 of us (Me and my best 3 friends) got removed from the course as well as about 20 other people because everyone failed. Eek.

I got my first grades back, I got a D in geography and an E in computing. Retook computing immediately, got it up too a D. I also got a B in my coursework, but somehow my grade was still a D. By year 2 Maths was going the same way as Physics, so I dropped it even though I wasn't allowed technically. So then I was just down to Computing and Geography.. well I took those exams and finished the year with a D in Geography and E in computing. So failed badly, only C or above is of any use. I faired better than my friends though, out of the four of us who started off together in Physics class only two of us even made it too the end of A levels, the other two dropped out.

Despite this epic **** up, clearly due to the fact that I was and still am unable to sit down and do studying for hours on end, my parents still wanted me to apply to university. So I did that, somehow got accepted, and that has ended in the same way too. Finally sat down with my parents and convinced them how much of a waste of time and money this is, and subsequently left university. And am now finally after 3 years looking for something that I actually want to do, instead of doing what made other people happy.

Moral of the story is don't start something you know you can't do just to please others :p

edit:

What I'm saying is if you are the kind of person who finds it easy to sit down for at least 10 hours a week, or are taking easy A Levels, then that is fine and it's possible to do well. You don't really have to be that intelligent, I failed Maths and Physics because I don't have a good mind for maths. But the other two subjects were just me putting poor effort in, there was nothing at all technically difficult, you just had to have a huge amount of knowledge and lots of practice putting that knowledge to paper effectively, which I did not have.

BUT, if that is not you, then you need to quit now or you will waste two years like me and many other people like me did.

The previous few posts made no sense to me. The limit of my french is as followers:

beer = biere
mulled win = vin chaud
hot = chaud
cold = froid
snow = niege

Ha, not really. I can say a few random things. Le banque est situe dans le sud de Paris!!!!!! Though of course i've no idea about where all those weird lines go and female/male and all that crap, I think that only makes sense in a straight word conversion. I used to be able to count to one hundred but not anymore. I get particularly confused with the teens. Huit...neuf...dix... bla bla bla.. vingt :p

Fortunately there is nearly always some kind soul who is happy to help you out and speak some fairly good English to you especially if you are in a resort.

Indeed he has! What language is that luke? sounds Italian.

Edit: just seen your edited post. I wish I knew Italian as well, my mum speaks German, the Swiss dialect of German, Italian and English because she is half Swiss, half italien and lives in England. Knowing those two languages would help a lot, especially when meeting relatives.

my French is extremely limited, I can just about count to 10 say hello and goodbye. Say cake croussaint and sweets and how old are you etc. I would not do well if I was stuck in France, I'd have to rely on my phones 3g to translate for me!

Indeed it is Italian. Mia madre is part Italian. I can get by, but am not entirely fluent.

I can understand German pretty well, but speaking it is another matter :p pronounce it ok but I always end up tripping over my tongue
In other news, trying to put together a little proximity sensor project based on detecting reflected light from a constant source (i.e the lightbulb(s)) in a closed room. Anyone done anything similar before? Le tips?

I found GCSE fairly easy too, got 4 A's an A* and 4 B's without revising once. But A levels are so different I just never had the attitude to do well. I was so used to having to do nothing at GCSE that by the time I was doing A levels it came as a huge shock, never did get a good enough attitude to go home and revise. Though I openly admit that, it's just one of my faults that I suck at studying.

At the start I chose to do Physics, Maths, Geography and Computing. These were just because they were the subjects I found easiest at GCSE. Within 8 weeks it was very apparent Physics was just never going to happen, the first mock exam we needed 40 out of about 90 for the lowest pass grade, I got about 25 marks. It was the first year and I wasn't allowed to drop it, so I just continued going to lessons to keep people happy. At the end of the year all 4 of us (Me and my best 3 friends) got removed from the course as well as about 20 other people because everyone failed. Eek.

I got my first grades back, I got a D in geography and an E in computing. Retook computing immediately, got it up too a D. I also got a B in my coursework, but somehow my grade was still a D. By year 2 Maths was going the same way as Physics, so I dropped it even though I wasn't allowed technically. So then I was just down to Computing and Geography.. well I took those exams and finished the year with a D in Geography and E in computing. So failed badly, only C or above is of any use. I faired better than my friends though, out of the four of us who started off together in Physics class only two of us even made it too the end of A levels, the other two dropped out.

Despite this epic **** up, clearly due to the fact that I was and still am unable to sit down and do studying for hours on end, my parents still wanted me to apply to university. So I did that, somehow got accepted, and that has ended in the same way too. Finally sat down with my parents and convinced them how much of a waste of time and money this is, and subsequently left university. And am now finally after 3 years looking for something that I actually want to do, instead of doing what made other people happy.

Moral of the story is don't start something you know you can't do just to please others :p

edit:

What I'm saying is if you are the kind of person who finds it easy to sit down for at least 10 hours a week, or are taking easy A Levels, then that is fine and it's possible to do well. You don't really have to be that intelligent, I failed Maths and Physics because I don't have a good mind for maths. But the other two subjects were just me putting poor effort in, there was nothing at all technically difficult, you just had to have a huge amount of knowledge and lots of practice putting that knowledge to paper effectively, which I did not have.

BUT, if that is not you, then you need to quit now or you will waste two years like me and many other people like me did.

this is very similar to me! I am taking IT (computing), physics, math's and economics. My attitude to study is horrible, I don't even bother with homework, I just do it in form or in my lessons. Except for history homework, I just don't do that, I have about 800 questions (no joke) to answer that has been building up!

Hate to break it to you guys, but work consists of pretty much the same deal. If you can't buckle down to something as simple and definitive as a homework assignment, you won't last long in most jobs. Pretty much all well-paying professions require a lot of knowledge and practice in putting that knowledge to use, and definitely all will have some aspect(s) that you plain and simple won't like which will require effort/time (just like homework).

I'm guilty of doing the same, heck when I was in college I'd often be just starting whatever class assignment had been given the day it was due. That bad habit followed me through to work. The difference is instead of playing with your grades, you're now playing with your source of income. Not smart. A few months into my job I was tasked with getting a backup server going for one of our stores. Started ok, then hit a problem and kinda kept putting it off for a while. Then they had a power surge that fried their network gear and the UPS attached to the server. Nothing was lost, but damn it easily could've been. If it had, I'd have had no excuse for it and I would've been out the door with a bad reference on my CV.

TLDR, do your damn homework and stop complaining :p "oooh I can't concentrate" won't fly IRL

"oooh I can't concentrate" won't fly IRL

That's because it is a terrible excuse :p in all serious I know, I really need to start doing something, I think that when I get a job I will probably work harder, in school it seems like you work for no reason because the tests are so far away so I don't concentrate.

My story:
Did no work at GCSEs, no revision and got predominantly B's, with a few A's and C's with a single A* which was Additional Science. Finished two years worth of PE coursework in a day and got an A (it was coursework-only... the best kind of PE :D).
Year 12 I really didn't enjoy, as most of my friends left after year 11 so it was just me and my best mate left. Luckily had made new friends by the end of the year. I was doing English Language, Religious Studies, History, and the only subject I actually enjoyed which was my BTEC in ICT, since it was entirely coursework and I had my favourite teacher ever for it (who, oddly, my mum taught at uni). I can barely remember my AS results... C's and D's I think.
Dropped EngLang in yr 13 since the teacher was a useless unrelatable twit, and barely attended my History lessons since it was 50% coursework and 50% exam which were allowed to bring the book in for, and we were allowed the internet as well (it actually makes sense; the exam was a test of us analysing the events rather than remembering them as perfectly as possible). I got an A in that exam, and something like an E in the coursework since the teacher who did the coursework was also a useless unrelatable twit. And because I'm the kind of guy who starts coursework on the day of the deadline. But mostly the useless twit thing. Only got a C in my ICT BTEC since I'm lazy and didn't need anything better to get into uni :)
Applied for two unis - only got the grades for one (Coventry) where I am now doing Ethical Hacking and Network Security, which is immense fun and where I've realised my policy of coursework-on-the-day doesn't work quite as well as it used to.

Back
Top Bottom