Potentially the longest thread in history...

I like it you really don't have to use Metro all that much if you don't like it, especially after the first hour or so. Yes it is initially annoying you have open up the 'charm' panel to get to some settings, but you can just pin all the stuff you want to the usual desktop taskbar. I have explorer, control panel, chrome and steam all on the taskbar. I now really only have to use Metro when I want too yet can enjoy the other benefits of Win8.

Is it true you can disable Metro and the start menu comes back?

I've no idea. But I wouldn't want too. Some of metro is good, I like the settings menu, some of the apps are good like the weather app, and full screen IE10 is kinda nice - just a shame it's IE and not a decent browser. Oh and Xbox Companion looks cool.. just installing the 360 update to get it working but I have a feeling it's US,France, Japan and Germany at the moment.

Oh yeah thats a good point, loads of the stuff is region locked to only those 4 countries. Who on earth decided France should be supported and not the UK :(

Back to metro, I don't care if its there, as long as it only appears when I want it too. Because when it does it's quite nice to use.

Seems Win7 doesn't want to cooperate in shrinking one of my partitions. Looks like I will be tossing this laptop drive in my rig to put it on tomorrow.

Surprisingly Microsoft Flight (Free to play) that was released at the same time as Win 8 Consumer Preview works great on the fancy new OS ! No issues at all..

I am of course joking. I'd be very surprised if any game didn't work on Win8, let alone a new one by Microsoft. Performance seems at least as good as Win7 with the nvidia drivers for what it's worth.

Wait, didn't know that was released too.

It's an okay game. It's not super realistic, but it's inbetween realistic and arcade. You can stall and crash and get blown around by the wind and turbulence. But it's fairly easy overall. The graphics when you are quite high up are good, better than most other sims, but get down low and some of the textures look really rough. A trait of every flight sim. Night time sucks, the terrain glows. There are atleast 3D modelled buildings which are fun to fly around, if you pay to unlock the the rest of hawaii from the pics i've seen there is a fairly big fully modelled town which is pretty neat.

The huge problem though is cost.. you get two planes, and to be fair a fairly decent sized island to fly around. So far you can pay to unlock the rest of Hawaii which would cost about £15. You can then buy the P51 Mustang for about £6 worth of points (It's 640 points, but you would have to buy 1000 @ £8.50), the other plane is 1200points so go figure.

I wouldn't mind if they were these amazingly modelled, super realistic planes. But they arn't really, they are modelled to a decent level but they hardly have realistic physics which is where the hard work should take place to justify the cost. Other games such of Rise of Flight charge as much for the planes, if not more, but they are works of art and it's clear an incredible amount of work has gone into them, it's still a lot of money but you can kind of justify it - which i'm struggling to do with MS Flight. As much as I want the P51 Mustang, I really don't want to shell out that much $$$ for it. Thing is its about 4x as fast as the other planes which is very tempting when you are currently limited to about 80knots.

Back
Top Bottom