Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Me, too, but Charter has a way of making things more complex than they need to be.

EDIT: Got it. It was definitely lack of sleep getting in the way. Now to return the leased modem and get to stop paying an extra $7 a month.

With the amount of modems that have died for us, 7$ a month is well worth it.
Modems don't like lightening storms.

Today I am still fixing various leaks on my car, not sure why several gaskets are blowing out, my oil pressure isn't THAT high.... Have a special set of gaskets for most everything on that engine being sent my way, they are very similar to head gaskets in material and how they work, also have a set of ARP studs coming my way for the cam carriers.

Probably will open the timing cover up and check the chain/tensioner and see what's wrong with it, hearing a slap once in awhile from there, can't tell if it's slight rod knock or the chain being loose since they sound the same on this engine and I had issues with rod #1 spinning out before...

Might be getting a new oil pump if I can't find the trace of this slight knock, as I can only pinpoint either pressure dropping in certain areas of my engine, or the pump just being wore out and not getting enough pressure built up while the oil is hot.

Replaced headlamp bulbs today, and will be replacing fog light bulbs since those are dim now.

I think all my car will need by mid-summer will be new tires and that's about it...

I think it's a case of if you have the ability to live a bit outside your means it's easier to do like in kman's situation, it's easy to like go into debt and say ok i'll pay it off next month, I've been there done that, credit cards make it super easy, but on the flip side when you're in PP's situation it's virtually impossible to live outside your means because every penny you earn has to go to something and when you're living right at the edge of feasibility it's easy to pinch penny's everywhere. For me I was living on pasta chicken thighs and tea for a couple months, and maybe some eggs. I spent around $50 a month on food cause I didn't have the money to do otherwise. Luckily I'm not in that situation any longer, and now that I'm making a decent amount of money at my part time gig and going to school with some funding I don't have to really nickel and dime my way through life, and I can pick and choose and occasionally over spend every once and a while and carry over debt on my credit card and it's okay cause I can pay it off.

I'm glad to hear your story PP it's definitely an eye opener for myself and I think a lot of people. I certainly am more thankful for the things I had growing up and have now knowing what someone I know has gone through. There's a good book I read about this kid who graduated college and went with like $100 or some small amount of money (the catch was he couldn't use any of his prior references, college degree, anything just his high school education and himself) and checked himself into a homeless shelter and worked his way up and by the end of the 2 year period ( I think it was that long) he was in a nice apartment making decent money as a mover. And the biggest thing he said was to minimize monthly payments and pay cash for everything possible.

It's stuff like that that makes me grateful for the student loan company here. I get enough each term to easily do me, with me spending about $50 a week on food, and still having plenty left over for random stuff like games and tech. It really makes me realise what a lucky start I've had in life; relatively wealthy parents, gone straight into uni and will hopefully graduate into a nice-paying job (average starting salary for graduates from my course is £25k/$40k; one third-year hasn't even graduated yet and already has a solid position at the local pentesting firm for £30k plus 5k travel allowance).

Today did a group session in our C++ programming module, was pretty easy since one guy in our group was essentially a wizard, and did it for us :p As part of the task we each had to individually explain how it worked so he just explained it all to us as well. A good guy greg if there ever was one.

Speedtest results comparison.

Old modem through router using OpenDNS:
42ms - 22.85 down - 3.21 up

New modem w/o router or OpenDNS:
40ms - 15.73 down - 3.21 up

New modem w/router and OpenDNS:
42ms - 31.59 down - 3.21 up

I'd say it was a successful endeavor.

Today I am still fixing various leaks on my car, not sure why several gaskets are blowing out, my oil pressure isn't THAT high.... Have a special set of gaskets for most everything on that engine being sent my way, they are very similar to head gaskets in material and how they work, also have a set of ARP studs coming my way for the cam carriers.

Probably will open the timing cover up and check the chain/tensioner and see what's wrong with it, hearing a slap once in awhile from there, can't tell if it's slight rod knock or the chain being loose since they sound the same on this engine and I had issues with rod #1 spinning out before...

Might be getting a new oil pump if I can't find the trace of this slight knock, as I can only pinpoint either pressure dropping in certain areas of my engine, or the pump just being wore out and not getting enough pressure built up while the oil is hot.

Replaced headlamp bulbs today, and will be replacing fog light bulbs since those are dim now.

I think all my car will need by mid-summer will be new tires and that's about it...

Do you think that a timing belt should be replaced on a 150k+ mile vehicle?
Me and my father have looked at it, but it seems to be in good condition

Belt should have been replaced almost 100k miles ago... I never trust a BELT more than 60k miles... Chains are a different story, OHV engines can have a chain last longer than 300,000 miles, DOHC or SOHC engines the chain should be replaced with the tensioners at what the service manual states. I replaced mine last summer, but there is an off chance that the tensioner I used was bad.

BTW, Timing belt/chain = inside engine, serpentine belt = not critical, but it's a good idea to replace them once in awhile so you don't get stuck with a car that won't charge or run water if the WP is belt driven on a serpentine.

It is also impossible to tell the condition of a timing belt, what fails is the metal or fiber mesh on the inside of the rubber, then the rubber lets go. The rubber just protects the fiber that makes it strong, and gives the cams/crank gears something to grab on.

What car/engine you got? I can try to get you a list of things that should have been done and when it should have been done if you would like.

Also when the timing belt goes your engine goes, so at 160k I'd replace it haha. Subaru's have it done every 100k or so, and I think that's a pretty safe mile marker, but it's also a ***** to do on a subaru cause you have to pull the engine to do it without killing your extremities.

Speedtest results comparison.

Old modem through router using OpenDNS:
42ms - 22.85 down - 3.21 up

New modem w/o router or OpenDNS:
40ms - 15.73 down - 3.21 up

New modem w/router and OpenDNS:
42ms - 31.59 down - 3.21 up

I'd say it was a successful endeavor.

Oh so jealous.

I can't even stream 720p - not even close. I bet you could stream about 3 different 1080p stereoscopic 3D videos at once :cry:

Back
Top Bottom