Potentially the longest thread in history...

The main reason that the US remains on the our system of measure is that it would cost too much to change everything over... not to mention to public outcry and pushback against it. If nothing else everyone here (who is not an American) ought to know how independently minded and down right stubborn we are about most things... especially something that we all use each and every day.

Re: Today I have...

still shaken.... this is gonna take some time... ohmygod.

(cries and is unsure how she's gonna word it) (will attempt later when my tears are gone)

Ok I have the strength to say part of it.....

3 tech companies i really really really loved were on the list of SOPA supporters ;-(

nvidia (through the ESA or Entertainment Software Association)
intel
apc's parent company schnieder electric (through NEMA)

I wm gonna write them a long email when I get composed enough...

whywhywhywhy???!!!

as if my world wasn't crushed and I wasn't battered enough.....

I have always thought those 3 companies were ones that realyl had thier **** together and this crap... this bomb dropped on me....

and I just bought that APC UPS!!!!!!!!!!!! and I own 3 nvidia cards and soon a 4th!!! and we have 2 intel based PCs!!!!!

also kaspersky isn't clean... they say they quit the BSA over SOPA but the guy who owns the company wants to get rid of anonymus posting and he wants this internet ID BS and he wants more cybercops and crap..... and I found out this today.... arrrrg.... I just partnered with them a few days ago.

I guess it's not safe to like any companies this day and age....

companies like this should'nt even be involved in this crap....

APC is a bad one to be on there becuase of the datacenters. a datacenter/hosting company SaaS, whatever hears about this and APC could loose A LOT!!!

If someone put thier name on that list by proxy and without thier consent I think APC/Schnieder should do something about it.

Your crying because some companies approve of SOPA ? Hmm...

SOPA sucks though. I agree on that.

English was brought to Britain by Germanic invaders from various parts of Germany and the Netherlands, so sorry English is not "your" language.

As for units of measurement each to their own. I for one have no issues with math and converting feet to inches, or inches to miles so I'm fine with what is currently in place. The metric system is a decent system of measurement but unit's like feet, inches, and miles are used far to commonly and have no equals in the metric system.

Not exactly true, English is a complicated language to begin with. The pre Roman Kelt got absorbed locally into Latin, Then the Scandinavian of the Saxons and Vikings, then the French of the Normans, it's then been honed for about 1000 years into what we know today we have taken useful words and anglasised them. For some reason we seem to be adept at this most other languages, most others try and find a word common to that of there own then adjust it a little or tack it on as a meaning to the existing word.

I will admit we get a fair bit from German, but we also get a fair bit of French and Italian, Norwegian oddly not so much Swedish as the only word in the English languidge with a direct Swedish root is Ombudsman. We also have a fair bit of Indian and a smattering of Russian, they where mostly added in the last 200 years or so.

But to get back to your point, yes we are fully justified in calling it ours. British English is the Language of international travel, Business and diplomacy and the OED is the default source of the words used in such contracts and that is only updated when a word enters the language in Great Britain.

Your crying because some companies approve of SOPA ? Hmm...

SOPA sucks though. I agree on that.
It's almost as bad as this other guy I know trying to say I'm a SOPA supporter simply because I refuse to stop buying a 5 dollar pack of strings for my guitar made by D'Addario who apparently supports COICA and SOPA. Yet he knows fully how I feel on these acts against our Constitution. He also tries to put words in my mouth :|

Fair point PP, but I guess if I lived in the US I'd learn the metric system anyway. Wouldn't use it, but I'd learn it (especially considering how easy it is to learn). That way when I talked to someone outside the US (i.e the rest of the world) I would be able to relate
Who said I don't know it? I just don't use it lol.

Edit: 7970 does indeed look good.

Back
Top Bottom