Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I had a G.Skill SSD die from a bios flash but I have 4 OCZ SSD's that are working flawlessly and I've gave a 5th OCZ drive away that is still working good as far as I know. And I've been using a 1st gen Agility 120GB drive for storage for more than a year now.

Windows 7 will not automatically shut off the pagefiling system and search/index system to give a longer life. It's not necessary but it certainly helps with the life process for older drives like mine. Most people buying SSD drives don't buy them for storage either, but in that case it is still a different story than using one as your main drive.

The benefit of disabling those is of debatable benefit for any drives running a modern controller.

All of my drives whether they are a SSD or not are backed up nightly, including the OS drive, but I still want the most reliable drive I can get and without question that is a Intel.

I know some have "midnight madness" where they have uncapped downloads from midnight to like 7AM or something.... I know that starband and this other one did.... (they had a blue site that had a yellow logo is all I remember and they had these perky customer service people all over it) does hughes have this????

also is there nowhere near you with wifi or something???

The benefit of disabling those is of debatable benefit for any drives running a modern controller.

All of my drives whether they are a SSD or not are backed up nightly, including the OS drive, but I still want the most reliable drive I can get and without question that is a Intel.
The benefit is to reduce constant read/write. Constant read/write kills SSD's so I'd say the benefit is great. I quite like my SSD so I do anything I can to make it last as long as possible until I can buy a faster one.

Photoshop would prolly murder an SSD though.... same with premiere....

windows media player would as well I've always had extreme page fault delta with that thing like 1300 on average and it would spike to, kid you not 14,000+ when I add media to it!!! the I/O reads and writes would be over 300,000,000 over an 8 hour period with a modest library added to it and playing a 120 song playlist. Syncing is even worse!!!!

Media jukebox has the lowest PF delta of any of the good media players.. and the lowest I/O reads/writes so i strongly suggest that for an SSD.

for example I would have media jukebox open for 2 weeks and the I/O reads would only be like 800,000 or less and WMP would be at 500,000,000 or more for just a couple days.....

My activity level is higher on MJ then WMP is as well.

I also recommend turning off too many sidebar gadgets and rainmeter stuff. those are high on PF delta/ I/O as well. I would only have one comprehensive system stats one or one that resides on the taskbar.

I have ran my computer as normal, i did all the disabling firefox cache and that crap for about a month, reinstalled windows and couldn't be bothered to do it all again. It's been like that for about 6 to 12 months now just using it like i would a PC with a HDD, and my performance has not dropped at all.

Have to drive with the DoT now because I parked 11 inches from the curb, then 13 inches from the curb at the next car during the drive test, and you're required to park within 12 inches of the curb. And she didn't like me waiting for the other people at the 4 way stops to stop before going on (I wait for them because I know a lot of people that don't stop all the way at stop signs and don't signal, and I don't want to end up getting hit). I never did like (driving with) that instructor, always drove worse with her than the other instructors.

The entire point of doing driver's ed was so I wouldn't have to go through the DoT, and now I have to do it anyway? God **** it. There's $325 wasted.

Back
Top Bottom