Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

I found out that my cousin's daughter, my mom's sister son's daughter, is in the final auditions for the next season of America's Next Top Model, not this season.

I have had the same POS 20 dollar SATA Lite-On for years. Never really had a problem with it. Needless to say though, for the same reason you're having is the reason why I don't use discs anymore and haven't for a long time. Have you tried changing the cable?

The sooner my internet is fast enough for game download times off Steam arn't something to worry about, the better. And i am talking <30minute times. And games are regularly 15gb these days.
Takes me 50minutes @ 350kbps to do 1gb, thus it would take me 750minutes to download 15gb.
750 / 30 = 25.
25 * 350 = 8750 or 8.75mega bits per second.

Effectively i would only be happy to totally remove my DVD drive once i got 100mb broadband. Which isn't happening in the next 5 years. Within 10 years, perhaps. Which by that time games will be 150gb, so i am back to square one.

FiOs rules the non-business.

Try running at 768kbps down. We now have 7Mb with powerboost. :p We get up to 17Mbps on a good day for downloading.

I got a 10Mb cable connection.

I mostly just burn music discs becuase my sister's car stereo doesn't have an aux jack and her fm modulator for mp3 players is crap. and I can't seem to find a good one..... any suggestions for a good modulator? (replacing the car stereo is NOT an option since it is a good one)

FiOs rules the non-business.

Try running at 768kbps down. We now have 7Mb with powerboost. :p We get up to 17Mbps on a good day for downloading.

They dont even install fiber to the premises here.

One of our biggest ISP, BT are installing some crap called Infinity, which is just fiber to the street cabinet and then copper to the home. Which gives up to 40mb. Sure 40mb is nice, for now. What about in 5 years when yet again, 40mb will be necessary and will be considered standard. Are they going to recable everywhere with fiber to the premises ? heck no. We'll be stuck behind for another 10 years again. And they arn't even installing this infinity service to every household, only 60percent of them. 50percent of which already have access to Virgin Medias 50mb and 100mb cable network. So it's basically an absolute joke.

/rant

let me jot this down, and see where we are in 5 and 10 years... They always need to update technology, always. There'd be something that we never thought of.

let me jot this down, and see where we are in 5 and 10 years... They always need to update technology, always. There'd be something that we never thought of.

Unfortunately when it comes to rolling out an updated network infrastructure at the cost of tens of billions every 10 years (if they really did want to stay at the top of there game) they are not to keen. And in all fairness, i don't expect a private company to do it. I expect the government to do it. Realistically to get the UK up to a good standard where every house hold can access 100mb is going to cost atleast £20Bn (It's when you have to lay 20 miles of cable to reach 5 houses that the cost goes up a lot). To keep it up to date every 5 or 10 years will mean it will need a small refurbishment at the backend costing 3 or 4 billion, that is a reasonable sum.

For some reason at the moment it isn't viewed in the same light as other necessities such as a road network, but instead a luxury so they just shove it on the pile of things to do when they have spare cash.

The US is worse the the UK some people still are on dial-up here in the US. or they have to resort to satellite with it's 3 second lag.

The US is worse the the UK some people still are on dial-up here in the US. or they have to resort to satellite with it's 3 second lag.

Due to the small size of our country and very competitive broadband market, we probably do have more broadband penetration. But in terms of average speed, the US has a higher average.

There are people that are on dial up here to, but not satellite, because every person has to have a landline/phoneline legally which means they get dial up too in almost every case.

Back
Top Bottom