Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

^yeah but that is only for your keyboard? If you spend enough time getting used to this new layout you are going to get very much less proficient at a qwerty, which will lower your speed on any other keyboard. Just seems impractical.

I might try and learn dvorak to, but i dont see how it will be any quicker. My fingers dont struggle to reach any of the keys and i know where they all are, the only way i could speed up my typing is if i had the skills to move my fingers quicker.. i dont.
The Dvorak layout is designed to put the most commonly used letters in the middle and reduce the distance your fingers need to travel.
So you don't need to move your fingers as fast.
^yeah but that is only for your keyboard? If you spend enough time getting used to this new layout you are going to get very much less proficient at a qwerty, which will lower your speed on any other keyboard. Just seems impractical.
For some people maybe.

I've been learning Dvorak, I'm not quite as fast as QWERTY yet (about half), but it has really great security - I told a few people my password, and challenged them to log in to my account. They were a few characters in before going 'WTF!' and giving up :D
(too bad they didn't know how easily the keyboard layout can be changed)

For some people maybe.
no, not for some people, for everyone. If you start doing something one way only for a long time, the old way will no longer work nearly as well.

But i honestly don't get why you would want to do this. Do you have trouble typing fast? or is this just for fun? I mean you should not have to change the layout of the normal keyboard. The speed that i, and most of everyone can type is more then sufficient.

But hey, to each his own i guess...

no, not for some people, for everyone. If you start doing something one way only for a long time, the old way will no longer work nearly as well.

But i honestly don't get why you would want to do this. Do you have trouble typing fast? or is this just for fun? I mean you should not have to change the layout of the normal keyboard. The speed that i, and most of everyone can type is more then sufficient.

Ever heard the phrase "like riding a bike"? Just because you've moved on to a motorbike for five years doesn't mean you can't go straight back to proficiently using a bicycle.

The point is that we can always type faster, as fast as our brain can come up with sentences to type (which would be hundreds of wpm, I guess). Though it certainly is fun :) And the expressions on people when you type 100+ wpm is priceless. I hope to be at that point within a year. It really helps in typing essays and stuff when you can get it done 20%+ faster.

Ever heard the phrase "like riding a bike"? Just because you've moved on to a motorbike for five years doesn't mean you can't go straight back to proficiently using a bicycle.
that expression makes absolutely no sense in this circumstance. If the motorcycle had inverted controls (meaning to turn left you would move the handle bar right, and vice versa) and you had to peddle backwards for it to work and had to push a brake instead of pull it, etc, then that would make sense.

Your sentiments are exactly why Dvorak has never been widely accepted, Luke. People think, "I type perfectly fine on QWERTY so why should I switch?"

While Yami's illustration didn't exactly match, this one might:
You have a bicycle that you use to race. You are able to go pretty fast with that bike due to your training, physical shape, and the gearing on it. You now switch to a completely different design on bike, one that changes almost everything... you are now in a reclining posture, the steering is different. It is almost like learning to ride all over again and it will take some time and effort. But, once you have mastered the new design, you will be able to go faster with less effort because you are in a more natural position and are actually using less effort to get the same or better results.

You could also look at it as going from racing stock cars to Formula 1. Same concept, but they handle very differently and must be relearned. Once you have the Formula 1 down you will be able to go much faster than the stock car could go due to its inherent limitations.

I just don't see dvorak being better, qwerty has the keys i use mostly in the center as is....

Changing to dvorak would throw that all off...

Your sentiments are exactly why Dvorak has never been widely accepted, Luke. People think, "I type perfectly fine on QWERTY so why should I switch?"

While Yami's illustration didn't exactly match, this one might:
You have a bicycle that you use to race. You are able to go pretty fast with that bike due to your training, physical shape, and the gearing on it. You now switch to a completely different design on bike, one that changes almost everything... you are now in a reclining posture, the steering is different. It is almost like learning to ride all over again and it will take some time and effort. But, once you have mastered the new design, you will be able to go faster with less effort because you are in a more natural position and are actually using less effort to get the same or better results.

You could also look at it as going from racing stock cars to Formula 1. Same concept, but they handle very differently and must be relearned. Once you have the Formula 1 down you will be able to go much faster than the stock car could go due to its inherent limitations.
No you misunderstand me. I get the point of doing it, the keyboard layout would be faster over time with a lot of practice on it. But typing is something that should not be considered that important in someones life. I mean is it really all that important to type 180wpm over 100? Unless you type very important documents for something very important everyday and all day then it is not needed. Thats all i was saying...

Back
Top Bottom