Potentially the longest thread in history...

Never say life doesn't have a wicked sense of humor...

I had a touch of food poisoning over the weekend and was sick from Saturday night through Tuesday morning, with Tuesday being a wasted day with me weak as water. So what else should happen but I start to develop a chest cold Tuesday night. That or the flu, and neither mixes well with asthma.

Either way I am not a happy camper.

After I installed my new motherboard and RAM (M4A79XTD Evo), I started getting some restarts (grey screens/coloured lines, and BSOD's) in the middle of some games.

So there I was thinking my 5870 had started acting up (I remembered hearing about people with 5000 series cards getting grey screens).
So I tried reapplying the thermal paste a few times, flashing the BIOS to increase the volts and fan speeds, and uninstalling/installing several different drivers trying to make it stable.

In the end I discovered that it wasn't the 5870 at all. I got sick of the crashing and put my two 3870's in to see what would happen, and It still gave me coloured-line reboots.

It seems my board has a significant vdroop. If I set my CPU core to 1.3875V, it normally gets about ~1.355V.
So I now set it to 1.55V (~= 1.50V) for 4GHz, or 1.425V (~= 1.395V) for 3.8GHz, and it seems to be working perfectly fine now.

Have we had any "my windows 7 shuts down every two hours!!!" threads yet? I don't think I've noticed any ^_^

204931-valve_6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom