Potentially the longest thread in history...

And theres studies that say that alcohol in small amounts is good for the heart.

Id like to see the reliability of this, i admit there is nothing wrong with a sip here and there but i highly doubt it is good for you. Thats like saying a smoke now and then is good for you iMO.

Yes after 8 months of waiting my stuff has finally cleared customs and will be here on Tue. This includes all of my extra computer equipment and tons of games that I did not have installed when I brought my computer. That is the important stuff. I guess my wedding album, pictures, china and other stuff is kinda important but not as much as Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, FEAR etc.

Methods The analysis included 2487 subjects, aged 70 to 79 years, without baseline coronary heart disease (CHD) or heart failure (HF), participating in the Health, Aging, and Body Composition study. All-cause mortality and incident cardiac events (CHD and HF) were detected during a mean follow-up of 5.6 years. Alcohol consumption and serum levels of interleukin-6 (IL-6) and C-reactive protein (CRP) were assessed at baseline.

Results A total of 397 participants died, and 383 experienced an incident cardiac event. Compared with never or occasional drinkers, subjects drinking 1 to 7 drinks per week had lower age-, sex-, and race-adjusted incidences of death (27.4 vs 20.1 per 1000 person-years, respectively) and cardiac events (28.9 vs 20.8 per 1000 person-years). After adjustment for confounders, compared with never or occasional drinkers, light to moderate drinkers (1-7 drinks per week) showed a decreased risk of death (hazard ratio
, 0.75; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.56-1.00) and cardiac events (HR, 0.72; CI, 0.54-0.97). Adjustment for potential mediators, and particularly inflammatory marker levels, did not affect the strength of this association.

Conclusion Light to moderate alcohol consumption was associated with significantly lower rates of cardiac events and longer survival, independent of its anti-inflammatory effect.

Sorry you had to go down 5 or 6 results for some medical pages.

^this is interesting, but is not very convincing. You have no idea of the nature of the tests. I am inclinded now to it helping some , but i will not be convinced fully until i see direct stuff. Thats though.

Back
Top Bottom