Potentially the longest thread in history...

i just tried reaching 3.8GHz on my Phenom II 940. I'm not stable at 3.8GHz. I tried and tried. I'm stuck at 3.7GHz unless i can decreased temps or get a new mobo with an SB750. It's amazing out i got 3.7GHz out of a SB600 too. MSI K9A2 Platinum is a great OCer.

i just tried reaching 3.8GHz on my Phenom II 940. I'm not stable at 3.8GHz. I tried and tried. I'm stuck at 3.7GHz unless i can decreased temps or get a new mobo with an SB750. It's amazing out i got 3.7GHz out of a SB600 too. MSI K9A2 Platinum is a great OCer.
a lot of people are getting lower clocks turning ACC on with Phenom II's. So I don't think SB600 is holding it back.
What are the temperatures?

I think Phenom II's respond well to good cooling. Though if it doesn't, then it's possible your chip is just a below-average clocker.

a lot of people are getting lower clocks turning ACC on with Phenom II's. So I don't think SB600 is holding it back.
What are the temperatures?

I think Phenom II's respond well to good cooling. Though if it doesn't, then it's possible your chip is just a below-average clocker.

temps in sig. Everything is in sig except the HT voltage, which is 1.25v. I just used AMD Overdrive and changed my Write to Write Timing, Read to Read Timing, and Write-to-Read Delay from 3 bus dock to 2 bus dock. I still get 100% stability. I'm gonna benchmark now in GTA4 to see if i get an increase or not.

EDIT:

added HT volt in sig. How do u know that ACC turned on gets lower clocks? That doesnt make sense, you got some proof?

temps in sig. Everything is in sig except the HT voltage, which is 1.25v. I just used AMD Overdrive and changed my Write to Write Timing, Read to Read Timing, and Write-to-Read Delay from 3 bus dock to 2 bus dock. I still get 100% stability. I'm gonna benchmark now in GTA4 to see if i get an increase or not.
ES Phenom II's often got higher core clocks by lowering the HTT speed, but I don't think I've seen that in retail chips.

Anyway, the temps are not bad. Though Phenom II loves cold temps - the lower, the better basically.
Though I'd still probably say yours is a below average clocker.
added HT volt in sig. How do u know that ACC turned on gets lower clocks? That doesnt make sense, you got some proof?
People on XS who test their chips extensively said so.

No, I pointed you in the right direction after you strayed away from my actual point, by making an analogy to point out the red herring.
The point is that average framerate does not tel you how consistent those frames were, whether there were stutters, etc. And if you're going to keep ignoring that and keep demanding the same simple graphs which we're specifically saying don't tell us the whole story, then I'm going to call you on a strawman argument.

It's not a red herring. I'm addressing more than one argument. I am saying your system is slow and you wont admit that, because you never posted benchmarks on tech forums and every time someone asks you about it you avoid the question. You refuse to post the benchmarks because you know that they would undermine your general position. That has nothing to do with smoothness. That's just me calling you out.

First, that's an argumentum ad-hominen.
second, it isn't just AMD users. It's neutral users who use both Core 2 and K8/K10 systems. If you read the thread, you'd see a few of those people there.
It would only be an ad-hominen argument if I didn't address the substance also. But I am, case in point the PCIexpress bandwidth. I am also stating the obvious that a majority of users who believe in smoothness also own AMD systems. And I am drawing the conclusion that they believe in this so that they can justify to themselves the superiority of their hardware. Sure some Intel users would agree, but there is always free radicals. Sure some people don't vote straight ticket either (I don't). But the fact remains that the majority of people who agree with the smoothness idea also have a biased reason to do so.

now you're compartmentalising one aspect of the whole picture.
You would have a valid point if you ignored the fact that there are many other neutral people who experience the same thing.

I would say the same of you. My argument is based on technical discrepancies. Yours is based on people's opinions. They aren't the same. Just because some people think a certain way does not make it right. Consensus does not prove correctness. And it is dangerous to assume it does. Besides your giving false attribution to random users on the forum.

Secondly, you're asking me to prove my counter-hypothesis to your hypothesis, when your original, unproven hypothesis was designed to try and disprove the main conclusion by attacking one specific case, when there are a significant number of neutral users who experience the same thing with their own configurations of C2 systems vs K8/K10 systems.

Your dodging things again. I don't have to prove anything because I'm not making the claim. You have to defend it. prove to me that it doesn't make a difference. To prove a hypothesis you have to remove all other variables and test but one. You have several variables in this situation, including PCIe bandwidth, memory bandwidth and the use of AMD cards on AMD boards. If you don't remove those variables its not scientific, because nay of those could have just as easily have made the difference as yours. Those 3 examples are enough statistically to explain the problem.

I for one have never experienced a lack of "smoothness" on my rig. My system stays around the average fps pretty well. Therefore not only do I find it hard to believe others assertions in light of the errors in the testing, but I have absolutely no personal experience with it. If Intel systems were so susceptible to jittery gameplay then wouldn't I have experienced it?

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been helping a friend install his new sound system. Listened to OK Computer on Vinyl. It sounds incredible going through that system.

ES Phenom II's often got higher core clocks by lowering the HTT speed, but I don't think I've seen that in retail chips.

Anyway, the temps are not bad. Though Phenom II loves cold temps - the lower, the better basically.
Though I'd still probably say yours is a below average clocker.
People on XS who test their chips extensively said so.

should i try getting a new Phenom II 940 then? Is each CPU differ in OCing? If i could lower my temps by 5 C more, then i could definitely hit 3.8GHz.

My friend, difolo, has his Core i7 920 OCed at 3.8GHz. Says his 100% load is 81 C, idle is 41 C. What do you think is wrong with this CPU? He has an eVGA 58X, heatsink is Thermalsink Ultra-120 extreme /w TX-2.

dude. your temps aren't high... 60's is where you should BEGIN to get concerned, and 70's is where you should stop at..

and zmatt...
I am saying your system is slow and you wont admit that, because you never posted benchmarks on tech forums and every time someone asks you about it you avoid the question. You refuse to post the benchmarks because you know that they would undermine your general position.

totally unnecessary dude... why are you calling people out on their systems all of a sudden.. first rican now apok... it's none of your business to say who's system is slow and who's system is not...

Back
Top Bottom