Potentially the longest thread in history...

Anyone wanna do my 2000 word essay on salt? It's due for my food psych course in 2 days. I know somebody feels like writing about salt come on!

Salt is a dietary mineral composed primarily of sodium chloride that is essential for animal life, but toxic to most land plants. Salt flavor is one of the basic tastes, and salt is the most popular food spice.[citation needed] Salt is also an important preservative.

Salt for human consumption is produced in different forms: unrefined salt (such as sea salt), refined salt (table salt), and iodized salt. It is a crystalline solid, white, pale pink or light gray in color, normally obtained from sea water or rock deposits. Edible rock salts may be slightly grayish in color because of this mineral content.

Chloride and sodium ions, the two major components of salt, are necessary for the survival of all known living creatures, including humans. Salt is involved in regulating the water content (fluid balance) of the body. Salt cravings may be caused by trace mineral deficiencies as well as by a deficiency of sodium chloride itself. Conversely, overconsumption of salt increases the risk of health problems, including high blood pressure.

Human beings have used canning and artificial refrigeration for the preservation of food for approximately the last two hundred years, however, in the millennia before then, salt provided the best-known food preservative, especially for meat.[1] The harvest of salt from the surface of the salt lake Yuncheng in Shanxi, China dates back to at least 6000 BC, making it one of the oldest verifiable saltworks.[2]:18–19

Salt was included among funereal offerings found in ancient Egyptian tombs from the third millennium BC, as were salted birds and salt fish.[2]:38 From about 2800 BC, the Egyptians began exporting salt fish to the Phoenicians in return for Lebanon Cedar, glass, and the dye Tyrian purple; the Phoenicians traded Egyptian salt fish and salt from North Africa throughout their Mediterranean trade empire.[2]:44

Along the Sahara, the Tuareg maintain routes especially for the transport of salt by Azalai (salt caravans). In 1960, the caravans still transported some 15,000 tons of salt, but this trade has now declined to roughly a third of this figure.[3]

Salzburg, Hallstatt, and Hallein lie on the river Salzach in central Austria, within a radius of no more than 17 kilometres. Salzach literally means "salt water" and Salzburg "salt city", both taking their names from the Germanic root for salt, salz. Hallstatt literally means "salt town" and Hallein "saltwork", taking their names from hal(l)-, a root for salt found in Celtic, Greek, and Egyptian.[citation needed] The root hal(l)- also gave us Gaul, the Roman exonym for the Celts, Halle and Schwäbisch Hall in Germany, Halych in Ukraine, and Galicia in Spain: this list of places named for Celtic saltworks is far from complete.[4][5][6]

Hallstatt gave its name to the Celtic archaeological culture that began mining for salt in the area in around 800 BC Around 400 BC, the Hallstatt Celts, who had heretofore mined for salt, began open pan salt making. During the first millennium BC, Celtic communities grew rich trading salt and salted meat to Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome in exchange for wine and other luxuries.[1]

At times, troops in the Roman army were paid in salt and this is the origin of the words salary and, by way of French, soldier.[2]:63 The word salad literally means "salted," and comes from the ancient Roman practice of salting leaf vegetables.[2]:64

In the history of Indian Independence, Mahatma Gandhi took a long parade called "Dandi March" or "Salt SathyaGraha" against taxes levied by the then British rulers, for the export of salt, as this would affect the poor "salt-makers". The significance of this announced "March" is that Gandhi never told about his "way" and "destination" till the last moment, and it was a very great success in bringing millions of people together as one.

According to Strong's Concordance, there are forty-one verses which reference salt in the English translation of the King James Bible, the earliest being the story of Lot's wife, who was turned into a pillar of salt when she disobediently looked back at the wicked cities of Sodom (Genesis 19:26). When King Abimelech destroyed the city of Shechem he is said to have "sowed salt on it;" a phrase expressing the completeness of its ruin. (Judges 9:45.) In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus referred to his followers as the "salt of the earth". The apostle Paul also encouraged Christians to "let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt" (Colossians 4:6).

Salt is mandatory in the rite of the Tridentine Mass.[7] Salt is used in the third item (which includes an Exorcism) of the Celtic Consecration (cf. Gallican rite) that is employed in the consecration of a church. Salt may be added to the water "where it is customary" in the Roman Catholic rite of Holy water.

Salt is considered to be a very auspicious substance in Hindu mythology, and is used in particular religious ceremonies like housewarmings and weddings.

In many Pagan religions esp. Wicca salt is symbolic of the element Earth. It is also used as a purifier of sacred space.

In the native Japanese religion Shinto, salt is used for ritual purification of locations and people, such as in Sumo Wrestling.

In Aztec mythology, Huixtocihuatl was a fertility goddess who presided over salt and salt water.

Different natural salts have different mineralities, giving each one a unique flavor. Fleur de sel, natural sea salt harvested by hand, has a unique flavor varying from region to region.

Some advocates for sea salt assert that unrefined sea salt is healthier than refined salts.[8] However, completely raw sea salt is bitter because of magnesium and calcium compounds, and thus is rarely eaten. The refined salt industry cites scientific studies saying that raw sea and rock salts do not contain enough iodine salts to prevent iodine deficiency diseases.[9]

Unrefined sea salts are also commonly used as ingredients in bathing additives and cosmetic products. One example are bath salts, which uses sea salt as its main ingredient and combined with other ingredients used for its healing and therapeutic effects.

Refined salt, which is most widely used presently, is mainly sodium chloride. Food grade salt accounts for only a small part of salt production in industrialised countries (3% in Europe[10]) although worldwide, food uses account for 17.5% of salt production[11]. The majority is sold for industrial use. Salt has great commercial value because it is a necessary ingredient in the manufacturing of many things. A few common examples include: the production of pulp and paper, setting dyes in textiles and fabrics, and the making of soaps and detergents.

The manufacture and use of salt is one of the oldest chemical industries.[12] Salt is also obtained by evaporation of sea water, usually in shallow basins warmed by sunlight;[13] salt so obtained was formerly called bay salt, and is now often called sea salt or solar salt. Today, most refined salt is prepared from rock salt: mineral deposits high in salt.[citation needed] These rock salt deposits were formed by the evaporation of ancient salt lakes,[14] and may be mined conventionally or through the injection of water. Injected water dissolves the salt, and the brine solution can be pumped to the surface where the salt is collected.

After the raw salt is obtained, it is refined to purify it and improve its storage and handling characteristics. Purification usually involves recrystallization. In recrystallization, a brine solution is treated with chemicals that precipitate most impurities (largely magnesium and calcium salts).[15] Multiple stages of evaporation are then used to collect pure sodium chloride crystals, which are kiln-dried.
Salt Crystals at Devil's Golf Course in Death Valley National Park.
Single-serving salt packets.

Since the 1950s it has been common to add a trace of sodium ferrocyanide to the brine; this acts as an anticaking agent by promoting irregular crystals.[16] Other anticaking agents (and potassium iodide, for iodised salt) are generally added after crystallization.[citation needed] These agents are hygroscopic chemicals which absorb humidity, keeping the salt crystals from sticking together. Some anti-caking agents used are tricalcium phosphate, calcium or magnesium carbonates, fatty acid salts (acid salts), magnesium oxide, silicon dioxide, calcium silicate, sodium aluminosilicate, and calcium aluminosilicate. Concerns have been raised regarding the possible toxic effects of aluminium in the latter two compounds[citation needed]; however, both the European Union and the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) permit their use.[17] The refined salt is then ready for packing and distribution.

Yeah I really wish I could do that but with the anti-plagiarism tech our colleges and universities have now it's almost impossible. Not to mention that Wikipedia is probably the first place they look...

Well I use Wiki for research even if they don't like it. I just don't put that on papers. The articles cite their sources, so i follow tend to follow that. I could care less what the academic establishment thinks about Wikipedia, several studies have shown it to be more accurate than Britannica on average.

I think we as a society need to overcome the notion that you have to have a degree to speak on a certain topic. I think most of us here, Trot, gurusan, Nos would be considered experts on PC's but we don't have CS or CE degrees (some of us do). Furhter more its easy to show that the "educated" among us tend to all think about the same way and solve the problems in the same way, how that helps society I do not know. I think it was Einstein who said "We cannot solve our problems with the same reasoning that made them." I think our Economy is a good example. We let the goons who got us here try and fix the mess.

Back
Top Bottom