Potentially the longest thread in history...

okay guys....i get to do a pumpkin drop for my foundations of engineering class.

need help figuring out what all materials we might be interesting in looking at so far our design is like this

cardboard box
material
material
material
cardboard box
material
material
material
pumpkin
material
material
material
cardboard box
material
material
material
cardboard box

pumpkin has to be at least 8 inches in diameter. we plan on putting the pumpkin in the center with at most 6 inches of material around it then the first cardboard box which will be 14". another 6 or so inches of material then a 20" inch cardboard box. We plan on using some break-away type cardboard filled legs on the bottom to absorb some of the impact. Just kinda curious on what type of materials we should look at for in between the cardboard...we've thought of :

cotton
whoopie cushions
boxing paper stuff (that brown paper that comes in boxing of things you order)
house insulation
bubble wrap
styrofoam block things
and a few others things i can't remember

you CAN'T use:
wood
metal
foam peanuts
any liquids
anything really sharp
and it has to free-fall.. (no cords, parachutes, etc.)

I'm sure someone here has thought of this/actually done it..a bit of help would be cool :p ohhh yea, the building we are dropping from is a 2-3 story parking building

A dense thixatropic foam (thixatropic is a state of matter some ware imbetween solid an fluid think things like ketchup you will get what I mean) Custard as odd as it sounds might be a good path to explore as its a non newtonian liquid as it sometimes has the properies of a solid an other times the properties of a liquid. This vid will provide more info YouTube - BRAINIAC Science Abuse - John Tickle Walks On Custard

uhmmm dunno if that'll work...strict guidelines...no liquids, can't be anything that will splash audience (such as shrapnel)

but i will look into that...

i just wolfed down 5 pieces of pizza hut pizza and the slices were out of a large pan pizza. so how many calories would be in a piece like that. i'm thinking like 350 or 400 maybe. but now i feel sick.

Back
Top Bottom